Problem Notifications aren't correct

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@MrDeranged I just noticed this. I've had posts quoted but haven't been notified and have had reactions to my posts increment but again no notifications. I'm not blocking anyone. (When DBs do misses or miscounts I automatically get nervous)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It's not necessarily a miss or a miscount. The notification system has always been a bit of an enigma when it comes to how it works and I've never been able to find a straightforward explanation. It can be anything from a "burp" in the notification system to the fact that you were already notified and haven't been back to the thread. I wouldn't worry about it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It can be anything from a "burp" in the notification system to the fact that you were already notified and haven't been back to the thread.
That makes sense. Inputs go into a buffer then get tallied on the next refresh. We never get real time responses. Of course there would be several layers of sanitizing that goes on, from simple redundancies to potential malicious code segments. that get stripped out.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I think the burp is turning into hiccups. I got an email notification for a thread reply I originally replied to the thread in April 2019, at which point I'm pretty sure I had email notification disabled. Further, my last alert was at 11:29pm last night, but I see three threads I'm watching have had replies since then.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
my last alert was at 11:29pm last night, but I see three threads I'm watching have had replies since then.
Mine seems to always be like that and is really hit or miss and seems that Scott knows it’s a bit of an enigma anyway for him as well. 🤷‍♂️

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
I think the burp is turning into hiccups. I got an email notification for a thread reply I originally replied to the thread in April 2019, at which point I'm pretty sure I had email notification disabled. Further, my last alert was at 11:29pm last night, but I see three threads I'm watching have had replies since then.
Oh believe me, Scott knows very well about the notification issues. I have been "nagging" him for a while, lol. He has been looking into it forever and, unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason at this time. He is hopeful that with the next upgrade, it will be resolved, but can not make any promises.

I did want to comment on what you said though. With regards to getting a notification for something from 2019, it is possible that someone posted in it recently (which would trigger the notification), and has since been removed. If you have email notifications turned on now, it does not matter what you chose prior (unless you individually clicked "watch" or "unwatch"). The new "request" will override the old. ;)

Debby

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Oh believe me, Scott knows very well about the notification issues. I have been "nagging" him for a while, lol. He has been looking into it forever and, unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason at this time. He is hopeful that with the next upgrade, it will be resolved, but can not make any promises.

I did want to comment on what you said though. With regards to getting a notification for something from 2019, it is possible that someone posted in it recently (which would trigger the notification), and has since been removed. If you have email notifications turned on now, it does not matter what you chose prior (unless you individually clicked "watch" or "unwatch"). The new "request" will override the old. ;)

Debby
Maybe I'm not understanding the statement, but I don't have email notification on currently and I don't believe I did in April of '19 either. If I did still have it on in April, then my new notification preference should take precedence and I shouldn't have received the email? I know all about "technology frustration" and I admit it might be something on my end as well (though I have no idea what it could be). I have email notifications disabled for content I interact with and create, but I do have "Receive News and Update Emails" checked. Is their any point in time the board would consider a new post on a thread an "update"? I know there are a few other boards that do, most likely to try and draw your interest back.