Noticed this growing on the cork bark. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Porqp

Arachnopeon
I keep a pink-toed (Avicularia avicularia) in a mixture of coconut peat bedding.

I've recently noticed some green dots growing around the base of his web funnel, just outside his burrow on the cork bark.

Does anyone know what this is? Should i be worried? WhatsApp Image 2017-01-12 at 1.27.37 PM.jpeg

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Could you give us a closeup? It's easier to distinguish lichen or some sort of fungi from mold from up close.. And is almost certainly is one of those things.. I wouldn't really dare say which one

Porqp

Arachnopeon
Could you give us a closeup? It's easier to distinguish lichen or some sort of fungi from mold from up close.. And is almost certainly is one of those things.. I wouldn't really dare say which one
This is the closest i can go. What do you think?

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
To me it looks like lichen.. It's definitely not mold, which is good. If I'm right, you sir have no problem.. Unless you find naturalistic decorations a problem :)

Porqp

Arachnopeon
To me it looks like lichen.. It's definitely not mold, which is good. If I'm right, you sir have no problem.. Unless you find naturalistic decorations a problem :)
Thats a relief :p but in anycase, I'm going to stop misting altogether and just leave a bowl of water.

Its almost impossible to clean his cage as all his leftovers are at the bottom of his web funnel. Can't do anything without destroying them

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Ahh they patch their webs in no time :) As for misting - I wouldn't really stop.. After all, Avics are not really the same as some desert species.. Their need for humidity is definitely overrated, but nevertheless, they still need more humidity than desert species..

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Depending on how you setup the enclosure it's possible for Avics to get the humidity they need from just the bowl. I've not needed to mist any of my Avics or drop water on webbing so far.

I use bottom opening enclosures with the water dish in the bottom part on a thin (1 inch) layer of substrate. I only have holes on the sides of the enclosure 3/4 the way up with one small hole in the top to prevent condensation. In the warm T room the water in the dish evaporates and goes up through the enclosure. The holes on the sides instead of the top prevents the evaporated water from going out of the enclosure too quickly.

So far that has worked for all my Avics.

This is the closest i can go. What do you think?
That kinda looks like mold to me. If you're getting growth like this then you're not letting the enclosure dry out enough between misting. How often are you misting?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
That kinda looks like mold to me. If you're getting growth like this then you're not letting the enclosure dry out enough between misting. How often are you misting?
I would disagree on mold.. I zoomed in and the growths are in irregular shapes. Mold usualy makes almost a perfect circle with smooth edges.. At least the edges appear smooth from afar. This has irregular shapes and relief..

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I would disagree on mold.. I zoomed in and the growths are in irregular shapes. Mold usualy makes almost a perfect circle with smooth edges.. At least the edges appear smooth from afar. This has irregular shapes and relief..
Could be, it's hard to tell from those photos. Regardless, if it's growing in an Avic enclosure, I still think it's being kept too wet with not enough of a dry period between misting.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Could be, it's hard to tell from those photos. Regardless, if it's growing in an Avic enclosure, I still think it's being kept too wet with not enough of a dry period between misting.
Yeah that I totally agree with.. I would not, however, stop misting the enclosure.. Dry sub, water dish and occasional misting is what I would go for. But I do mist on the sides or the lid of the enclosure, not on wood etc..

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
is it kinda fuzzy looking (mold) or is rather flat against the bark kinda like paint chips (lichen)?

Porqp

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advise guys. Its really hard to get a close up picture because its through the glass and at the bottom of the cork bark where he has made his burrow.

I"m still not 100% sure whether its mold/lichen. But so far I've ready that letting the substrate dry up should inevitably kill the mold growth yes?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can always pop cork bark in the oven if your overly concerned. I usually will do 300 degrees for 10-15 mins and that would kill anything growing on the bark. Be sure to keep watch on it though, as you wouldn't want to explain why you burnt the oven up baking cork bark lol.