Nothing But >>T.BLONDI<< Talk.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Any of you guys wear welder's gloves when stickin' your hands in those beasts' cages? With fangs like that, I think I'd wear chainmail! LoL I still can't get over those. I go into the shop I got my Zebra from and just stare at it. It seems almost otherworldly, like something out of a cheesy B horror film.

N.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Any of you guys wear welder's gloves when stickin' your hands in those beasts' cages? With fangs like that, I think I'd wear chainmail! LoL I still can't get over those. I go into the shop I got my Zebra from and just stare at it. It seems almost otherworldly, like something out of a cheesy B horror film.
in my case my blondi hasnt been anywhere near as bad as i thought it would be. i cant speak for anybody elses experiences, but mine are that it is actually a pretty laid back t. so long as i dont touch her or mist her directly shes pretty satisfied to sit back and let me do my thing. dont get me wrong, she will kick hairs like crazy if i make a wrong move, but thats usually just if i get too close for her comfort or accidentally spray her directly with the mister. as has been said 1000 times on this board, she isnt aggressive, she is defensive. she isnt foaming at the mouth ravenessly trying to get at my throat when i walk in the room. its only once you invade her space that she gets testy.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
she isnt foaming at the mouth ravenessly trying to get at my throat when i walk in the room. its only once you invade her space that she gets testy.
I don't imagine any spider would try that. Mine hardly move unless they're eating. Actually, I've tapped on the glass at the shop and the spider didn't even look at me. But, personally, I'd be a bit nervous about going in there. After all, "Goliath Birdeater" doesn't exactly scream "pet me! pet me!" LoL

N.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Nocturnal,
I've never worn gloves, nor will I. I do however, use tongs to get the water dish out, and to pick up leftovers.
Peace,
Gillian

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Nocturnal,
I've never worn gloves, nor will I. I do however, use tongs to get the water dish out, and to pick up leftovers.
Peace,
Gillian
Why against gloves? As long as you're not trying to handle it in gloves (as you may hurt it without knowing), I don't see a problem. Elaborate, please...

N.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Raising T. blondi?

Have many of you guys raised your T. blondis from slings? I'd really like to get a sling and raise it (how cool would that be, to have this huge blondi and be able to say, "When I got her, she had a legspan of about an inch") but I worry a little about the demands of a blondi sling....high humidity, etc.

So basically the question is, are they much harder to raise than other species?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Why against gloves? As long as you're not trying to handle it in gloves (as you may hurt it without knowing), I don't see a problem. Elaborate, please...

N.
Two reasons, actually. Were I a little frightened of her, this I feel, would make that fear worse. Not to mention, most gloves are too thick and restrictive.
The second, if you aren't scared of them (I'm not), the wearing of gloves would, IMO, cause me to be careless. Going glove-less keeps me aware, and careful. Besides, she isn't that vicious. Mainly hisses, and points her rump at me.
Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Raising T. blondi?

Originally posted by Joanie
Have many of you guys raised your T. blondis from slings? I'd really like to get a sling and raise it (how cool would that be, to have this huge blondi and be able to say, "When I got her, she had a legspan of about an inch") but I worry a little about the demands of a blondi sling....high humidity, etc.

So basically the question is, are they much harder to raise than other species?
Joannie,
Mine came to me as a 1.5 incher. Cutest damn thing..Looked like a thoroughbred...all legs. I misted every other day, and kept an eagle eye out for any mold or mites.
Peace,
Gillian

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Two reasons, actually. Were I a little frightened of her, this I feel, would make that fear worse. Not to mention, most gloves are too thick and restrictive.
The second, if you aren't scared of them (I'm not), the wearing of gloves would, IMO, cause me to be careless. Going glove-less keeps me aware, and careful. Besides, she isn't that vicious. Mainly hisses, and points her rump at me.
Peace,
Gillian
Can't argue with good logic. :)

N.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Raising T. blondi?

Originally posted by monantony
Joanie
I have heard many horror stories, but the 2 I have been raising have been trouble free, females to boot. Got em from Art, gave me a good price. Heck I kept them in the deli cups he sold em in till they were 3"+.. I missed the swap today as I was up in Manirowac area with family (Fox hills resort)
Tony
Thanks, that's good to know....I've been thinking about getting one from Art at the Feb 16 swap. My birthday's in Feb, so what better present for myself than a new sling?