Not sure whats going on!!!

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Right on im def going to wait. But what if she dont molt in the next month? Should I continue to wait?

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Right on im def going to wait. But what if she dont molt in the next month? Should I continue to wait?
Yes, then give her a couple weeks. See Doriftos answer earlier

Redo the enclosure after she molts, after two weeks or so.

I'd buy a bag of topsoil, ask for one that is pesticide and fertilizer free in your local garden center. It's cheaper and better than coco fiber. For the hide I'd use a cork bark filled and covered with substrate. You can add some fake plants that will provide more places to hide and more darker zones.

I personally like staggered setups, with a low hide, covered with substrate to provide a higher zone.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
She's managed in that less than ideal enclosure for at least 5 years, a couple more months isn't going to make a difference

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
She's managed in that less than ideal enclosure for at least 5 years, a couple more months isn't going to make a difference
Well she hasnt lived in that less then ideal. enclosure 5 years. I bought it because I was scared of her at first and didnt know what I was doing. And I removed the stuff that was in there when I got worried. Like I said in an earlier post. So excuse me for trying to take care of her. Thats why I joined this. You dont have to be rude and I wasnt talking to you anyways!

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Well she hasnt lived in that less then ideal. enclosure 5 years. I bought it because I was scared of her at first and didnt know what I was doing. And I removed the stuff that was in there when I got worried. Like I said in an earlier post. So excuse me for trying to take care of her. Thats why I joined this. You dont have to be rude and I wasnt talking to you anyways!
Oh you set up the enclosure initially? I'm a bit confused. I thought you took them on from your son? Or did you rehouse them when you inherited them?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes you can wait, or you don’t have to, as long as you are not disturbing it while it is molting you will be okay :D

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Don't worry too much about the enclosure right now. Most of the 'beginner' tarantula species are quite hardy. They can live even in conditions that aren't ideal, that's why they are good for beginners-- people can afford mistakes while they figure it out and not lose their pet. So even if she was in an enclosure that wasn't ideal, she'll be fine.
What's important is that you're now on the right track :)

Just give her water, give her a place to hide and give her space. You'll see if she molts in a few weeks or not.

Meanwhile, you can shop for all the things you want to add to the enclosure.

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
I did get her from my son. But his didnt have a lock. I was scared of her at first. So when I got her I got the enclosure shes in now. Everything was very sudden. I was just following what info I found online. Which is very basic. Until I found this site. I had a plant and a hide for her but when I got worried I took them out. I fig I could watch her better that way. Instead of bothering her by moving stuff to check on her.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Don't worry, now use the time you got until the molt to learn how to set up properly the enclosure, to get a propper substrate, decorations... etc and don't hesitate to ask anything!!

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Don't worry, now use the time you got until the molt to learn how to set up properly the enclosure, to get a propper substrate, decorations... etc and don't hesitate to ask anything!!
Thank you I appreciate all the help. I jave learned more on here then on the sites I was going to. She appreciates to 💚

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Firstly my condolences too.

Secondly welcome to AB!

The T could be in premolt, does it have a blackish patch without any hairs on the abdomen (butt)? If I zoom the picture it looks like it. A better and a closer picture of the T and some photos of the enclosure could be very helpful.

I'd compact the substrate and or remove those loose fibers, the Ts like more compact substrates than fluffy loose ones. That could prevent future extrange behaviours.
I started getting stuff to rehouse her. I bought her a 10gallon enclosure. Im going to send a pic. And im just waiting on a few more things in the mail. So what do you think of air plants? I read they grow very well on cork bark. I sent a message to the site that sells them to make sure there is no pesticide or fertalizers. I dig if im going to rehouse house her im going to make her a palace lol. What shes in now just seems to small. Who knows maybe she might molt then? Fig even if she dont she will be more happy. I will show you the finished product when its done. Im super excited. Oh and it 20×12×10 inch terrarium. I made sure it wasnt very tall incase she feel for some reason.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I started getting stuff to rehouse her. I bought her a 10gallon enclosure. Im going to send a pic. And im just waiting on a few more things in the mail. So what do you think of air plants? I read they grow very well on cork bark. I sent a message to the site that sells them to make sure there is no pesticide or fertalizers. I dig if im going to rehouse house her im going to make her a palace lol. What shes in now just seems to small. Who knows maybe she might molt then? Fig even if she dont she will be more happy. I will show you the finished product when its done. Im super excited. Oh and it 20×12×10 inch terrarium. I made sure it wasnt very tall incase she feel for some reason.
That's a pretty big enclosure! I like them!!! Hahahahaha.

The only downside, that it needs some modifications to be extra safe. First one is to cover the top mesh with a perforated acrylic sheet, they can hang dangerously from them. It's very easy, just measure the inner size and cut it to fit it tight, then apply some aquarium safe silicone to hold it better. You can add some vents on the sides to increase ventilation, but that's not necessary, as she is not a very moisture dependant species.

Regarding the use of plants, use plants that are suitable for your T, very low, or light water dependant plants. I don't know what air plant you pretend to use, but if it's a low water demanding plant it shouldn't be any issue. Also you can use that plant like a moisted place for her. You can use suculents too 😁 I'd use suculents, and some dry grass. If you are going to use any plants use topsoil for the substrate. You will love it! Also is less prone to have mold issues.

If you want to make something different this is a tutorial that I made to create a foam background. This was my first try, and it wasn't too dificult! The results worth the time 😁

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nice size enclosure. As long as you modify it appropriately and ensure she feeds properly it'll be fine.

Substrate should be filled so that there is no more than 1.5 times the diagonal leg span of the spider from the substrate to the lid. The hide should be open bottom. Half logs and cork bark work great for that. The substrate itself should be coco fiber, top soil, or something similar.
Ensure the water dish is always full of clean water and make sure that it feeds as opposed to the feeders wandering off and dying someplace. If it does not eat, remove the prey item and try again in a week.
The lid should be pexi glass with holes drilled into it and not that metal mesh material that the typical lids are composed of.

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon

The only downside, that it needs some modifications to be extra safe. First one is to cover the top mesh with a perforated acrylic sheet, they can hang dangerously from them. It's very easy, just measure the inner size and cut it to fit it tight, then apply some aquarium safe silicone to hold it better. You can add some vents on the sides to increase ventilation, but that's not necessary, as she is not a very moisture dependant species.

Regarding the use of plants, use plants that are suitable for your T, very low, or light water dependant plants. I don't know what air plant you pretend to use, but if it's a low water demanding plant it shouldn't be any issue. Also you can use that plant like a moisted place for her. You can use suculents too 😁 I'd use suculents, and some dry grass. If you are going to use any plants use topsoil for the substrate. You will love it! Also is less prone to have mold issues.

If you want to make something different this is a tutorial that I made to create a foam background. This was my first try, and it wasn't too dificult! The results worth the time 😁

I disnt think about succulents but that def a good ideal. And I will forsure fix the lid. As gar as feeding her i always xount how many cruckets I put in so I know if 1 she ate them and 2 if I need to find them. I have them really long tong things and its pretty ez to snatch up the left overs with that. And of your expertise would be appreciated. I want to make her a lil T palace. She just seems so confined in what shes in. I want to give her some room to explore but safely. And I also want it to be practical enough to where I can clean it and move some things around if they dont seem to be working for her. So I hope you dont mind if I ask you questions along the way? You have been so helpful.

Oh and air plants grown on cork bark there are many dif kinds they dont requires soil just a lil water.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon

Your is really kick a?? The foam is a great ideal. I will be able to male it very realistic. So when I redo her lid I just place holes in the plexiglass? Can I use a drill or should I use an exacto knife? I know plexi can brake pretty ez if im correct? Im pretty good at building things. So Im super excited doing this.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Your is really kick a?? The foam is a great ideal. I will be able to male it very realistic. So when I redo her lid I just place holes in the plexiglass? Can I use a drill or should I use an exacto knife? I know plexi can brake pretty ez if im correct? Im pretty good at building things. So Im super excited doing this.
Thanks!!! 😁

It was my first attemp, and it was much easier than I thought! You can try it first in a piece of cardboard to see if you feel confortable doing it.

You can drill acrylic and plexi, but with a lot of care and without aplying to much pressure. You should do it completely flat. Also you can find some pre drilled acrylic sheets too.

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Thanks!!! 😁

It was my first attemp, and it was much easier than I thought! You can try it first in a piece of cardboard to see if you feel confortable doing it.

You can drill acrylic and plexi, but with a lot of care and without aplying to much pressure. You should do it completely flat. Also you can find some pre drilled acrylic sheets too.
So predrill with a smaller drill bit nice and slow them use the size bit I want after I make a starter hole? Im going to get the plexi tomorrow and will send a pic when its done. One last thing. Should I remove the screen or leave it. Cause im going to mount the plexi from the bottom. I was just concerned about air flow. Or will she be ok? I cant thank you enough for all your help! Just know its greatly appreciated. Noone I know has any interest in Ts so its nice to have someone to share thoughts and ideals with GrimMar has been super to! When I get her all situated I plan on getting another one. So when that time come maybe you can direct me on making a wise choice for my level of knowledge on them? It def helps to keep my mind bizie and im Great full for that in its self.

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Leave it, it doesn't affect air flow too much. Also try to leave a undrilled gap on the plexi sheet, so even the T climbs the enclosure cannot find any hole where she can insert a leg on it, this way you will prevent her from crawling to the top