Not sure whats going on!!!

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Im not sure where to start so im going to give a lil back ground on how I got Charlette. She was my Sons and he passed away. So I got custody of my grandT. He told me she was a girl so I have been very happy to rhink I had 10 to 15 years with her. But the last few days shes not been herself. At night she curls her legs up almost a lil distorted but in the day she seems to be ok. Shes not eating it been about 3 weeks. I feed her crickets and gut load them for 24 hours with Mazuri better bug gut load, I use coconut fiber substrate and the only water I put on it is the water that spills over in her water bowle. I give her purified water her temp is at 75/80 degrees and humidity between 40/50. I think im doing everything as right as I can. Is it possible she is really a male? Cause that would make her 5 years old. And that about when males pass. Is there anything else I can do or am not doing right? How can I tell if she is really a male and I have done right by him and its just his time? I just dont want to loose her cause she means alot to me. I attaxhed a pic of her.

Attachments

Sambro

Arachnosquire
Hi @M1201rocks
I'm sorry to hear about this situation along with my condolences. I can imagine the sentimental value of this Tarantula for you.
This does sound bad and does sound like the T may pass away.
It could be a male, but it's hard to tell due to the photo. Could you maybe provide some closer pictures?
A front shot is helpful to see any "boxing glove" looking pedipalps.
I wish you the best and hope all turns out fine.

Table

Arachnosquire
Can you get a Pic of this leg curling? could be a death curl, also could just be preening.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
What species is it? There are no tibial hooks so it doesn't look like it is a male yet. Also, the three weeks without food is fine, it can just be premolt.

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
My condolences.

A closer picture of her would definitely be helpful. Or even several angles-- if you could capture the curling legs at night and maybe also the rest of the enclosure so people can see that. How long has she been with you now? Would you happen to know when she last molted? If it is a female, she might just be preparing to molt. I really hope that is the case and you can keep her for many more years.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Firstly my condolences too.

Secondly welcome to AB!

The T could be in premolt, does it have a blackish patch without any hairs on the abdomen (butt)? If I zoom the picture it looks like it. A better and a closer picture of the T and some photos of the enclosure could be very helpful.

I'd compact the substrate and or remove those loose fibers, the Ts like more compact substrates than fluffy loose ones. That could prevent future extrange behaviours.

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
As others have said, a clearer, closer image would be helpful. From what I can see in the photo, her abdomen looks darkened, so I'm suspecting that she's in premolt. When they're in premolt it's normal for them to refuse food. Make sure she has a place to hide and fresh water available. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be glad to help with some advice on this tarantula in any way I can!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It almost looks as if it is in heavy premolt. Let it be. The behavior sounds normal, it's probably grooming itself at night...they can be in some odd and startling positions when they do that. Sounds like you are worrying too much. With a bottom that big, it can easily go to its next molt without feeding, or even a year or more even if it doesn't molt. Also, gut loading tarantula prey is not necessary...they aren't reptiles or amphibians.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Im not sure where to start so im going to give a lil back ground on how I got Charlette. She was my Sons and he passed away. So I got custody of my grandT. He told me she was a girl so I have been very happy to rhink I had 10 to 15 years with her. But the last few days shes not been herself. At night she curls her legs up almost a lil distorted but in the day she seems to be ok. Shes not eating it been about 3 weeks. I feed her crickets and gut load them for 24 hours with Mazuri better bug gut load, I use coconut fiber substrate and the only water I put on it is the water that spills over in her water bowle. I give her purified water her temp is at 75/80 degrees and humidity between 40/50. I think im doing everything as right as I can. Is it possible she is really a male? Cause that would make her 5 years old. And that about when males pass. Is there anything else I can do or am not doing right? How can I tell if she is really a male and I have done right by him and its just his time? I just dont want to loose her cause she means alot to me. I attaxhed a pic of her.
It's been alive too long to be a male, males adverage about 7 years. If all of the legs curl under it could be at the end of it's natural lifespan. No matter how good of care you offer, lifespans naturally vary. Just keep offering food and provide water, make sure humidity and ventilation is balanced, I hope for the best ♥

It's been alive too long to be a male, males adverage about 7 years. If all of the legs curl under it could be at the end of it's natural lifespan. No matter how good of care you offer, lifespans naturally vary. Just keep offering food and provide water, make sure humidity and ventilation is balanced, I hope for the best ♥
Oops, I forgot an important detail, and I missed a detail. If it is male, it will have definite pelipalps by the 5th year. If your sure the T is only about 5, then this is a possibility. Pelipalps are sure sign of a male

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Hi @M1201rocks
I'm sorry to hear about this situation along with my condolences. I can imagine the sentimental value of this Tarantula for you.
It could be a male, but it's hard to tell due to the photo. Could you maybe provide some closer pictures?
Thank you. I will post better pics when I get home from work. Thank you

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Oops, I forgot an important detail, and I missed a detail. If it is male, it will have definite pelipalps by the 5th year. If your sure the T is only about 5, then this is a possibility. Pelipalps are sure sign of a male
<edit>

OP's picture is a bit blurry, but I didn't think there was anything like this. In which case, we can hope it's a female in premolt.

Last edited:

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Thank you I will check for them. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that. Do they stick out at all times? I appreciate all the help. Its just odd that during daylight hours she seems fine. Then at night she scares the ..... Outa me. Im going to take a better pic of her and do it tonight then during the day.

Thank you I will check for them. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that. Do they stick out at all times? I appreciate all the help. Its just odd that during daylight hours she seems fine. Then at night she scares the ..... Outa me. Im going to take a better pic of her and do it tonight then during the day.
Hi @M1201rocks
Thank you I will post more pic in morning.

Can you get a Pic of this leg curling? could be a death curl, also could just be preening.
I will post more pics in morning. Thank you.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Just to add to this-- this is a nice picture showing what you're looking for (it's not mine, taken off the web).

View attachment 392794

OP's picture is a bit blurry, but I didna think there was anything like this. In which case, we can hope it's a female in premolt.
Hmm..
Given the length and development, I'm leaning towards male, however, it doesnt appear obvious enough. Theres other ways to be sure though. Males " tap" it's like a drumming you can hear, especially at night. If you take a molt, you can look closely at the sexual organs. If its really a male, these pelipalps should appear larger at the tips sometimes, this occurs on occassion, and isnt always present
Im happy to help, I wish I could do more. Males show definite pelipalps during times when their sexually interested. During these times, they tap on the glass and roam around the enclosure. You want many signs, all suggesting a male, before concluding it is male. The pelipalps seem a bit large, but not really pronounced, look for other behaviors to be sure

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
I will post more pics in morning.

It almost looks as if it is in heavy premolt. Let it be. The behavior sounds normal, it's probably grooming itself at night...they can be in some odd and startling positions when they do that. Sounds like you are worrying too much. With a bottom that big, it can easily go to its next molt without feeding, or even a year or more even if it doesn't molt. Also, gut loading tarantula prey is not necessary...they aren't reptiles or amphibians.
Thank you im going to post more pics in morning

M1201rocks

Arachnopeon
Firstly my condolences too.

Secondly welcome to AB!

The T could be in premolt, does it have a blackish patch without any hairs on the abdomen (butt)? If I zoom the picture it looks like it. A better and a closer picture of the T and some photos of the enclosure could be very helpful.

I'd compact the substrate and or remove those loose fibers, the Ts like more compact substrates than fluffy loose ones. That could prevent future extrange behaviours.
Yes there is a bald spot on her bottom. Im going to post better pics in the morning. Im going to take some of her at night and during the day. And I thank you to everyone.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yes there is a bald spot on her bottom. Im going to post better pics in the morning. Im going to take some of her at night and during the day. And I thank you to everyone.
If the bald spot is dark, 100% that is going to molt, so in that case, better to leave it alone. If it's pinkish cream color could me from premolt to kicking hairs due to stress.

IMG_20210723_234909.jpg

This is my pulchra, she is going to molt soon, as you can see the bottom bald patch is darker, while the top one is still cream like color. If your is completely black, it's going to molt pretty soon.

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon

If the bald spot is dark, 100% that is going to molt, so in that case, better to leave it alone. If it's pinkish cream color could me from premolt to kicking hairs due to stress.
As Dorifto said.

Just to compare what you are looking for, this is the bald spot on my T. albo-- it's very bright brown, which is due to stress from changing enclosures--if it's darker, it could very well be premolt. I would probably monitor how she's doing, but not disturb her much. Make sure she has a place to hide and water, and you will see how it develops. If "she" is truly a male at the end of his life cycle, there is not much that can be done. But if it's a premolt female, that's good news.

Clipboard01.png

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
As Dorifto said.

Just to compare what you are looking for, this is the bald spot on my T. albo-- it's very bright brown, which is due to stress from changing enclosures--if it's darker, it could very well be premolt. I would probably monitor how she's doing, but not disturb her much. Make sure she has a place to hide and water, and you will see how it develops. If "she" is truly a male at the end of his life cycle, there is not much that can be done. But if it's a premolt female, that's good news.

View attachment 392821
I have had both male and female Ts in my life, so I can offer advise on what the gender might be, the more info I have, the more accurate I can be. I see your T has been kicking hairs, mine do that in premolt too, maybe this is why your T is behaving strangely. That's great news, you might want to wait until after the molt to sex the T, being in premolt might affect the results

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I really do not read or see anything to indicate there is a problem, likely premolt.

There is also nothing to indicate sex here folks. Time frame is a widely inaccurate way to guess sex; tarantulas of a single species let alone sac do not all mature out at the same growth rates or sizes, many factors go into that.