Not sure what's going on with my Xenesthis immanis

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
He/she's only a sling that I've had since the beginning of November. Was voracious when I got him , stopped eating for 2 weeks, normal premolt stuff and then molted January 6th. Then refused to eat for 28 days which worried me, finally took a mealworm and now threat poses and slaps at food again. Could it be going into premolt again ? I haven't been able to get a look at his mouth to see if his fangs had a problem but he did eat once and the water dish gets emptied regularly by him so I was thinking thats not the issue. The sucking stomach was all there on the molt as well. Maybe I'm just being a hover keeper

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is probably not hungry. Just leave it for 2 weeks and try again to feed it

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
He/she's only a sling that I've had since the beginning of November. Was voracious when I got him , stopped eating for 2 weeks, normal premolt stuff and then molted January 6th. Then refused to eat for 28 days which worried me, finally took a mealworm and now threat poses and slaps at food again. Could it be going into premolt again ? I haven't been able to get a look at his mouth to see if his fangs had a problem but he did eat once and the water dish gets emptied regularly by him so I was thinking thats not the issue. The sucking stomach was all there on the molt as well. Maybe I'm just being a hover keeper
Pictures?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
She'll charge out of the hide when I drop in a mealworm and stand over it like she's going to eat, and then walk away
Have you had a chance to check the fangs for damage ? To rule out if it was fed too early or there was some other cause of damage that happened during the first feed post molt ?

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Have you had a chance to check the fangs for damage ? To rule out if it was fed too early or there was some other cause of damage that happened during the first feed post molt ?
Haven't been able to, she bolts straight for the hide if I get close to the enclosure. She did eat one mealworm so I was ruling that out.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Haven't been able to, she bolts straight for the hide if I get close to the enclosure. She did eat one mealworm so I was ruling that out.
I am wondering if her fangs were damaged during that initial feeding. You indicated that the sucking stomach was intact. Barring any other internal issues, a fang problem is all I can think of. All you can really do is keep trying to feed and make sure its hydrated.

You may need to trap it to more closely examine the fangs.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Do you know if it's a she or he? I'm curious because mine looks nothing like that at all. Now I'm wondering what species I have LOL!! How big is it? I wonder if maybe mine is just bigger.

(sorry for the off topic)

20200217_190533.jpg

Last edited:

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Do you know if it's a she or he? I'm curious because mine looks nothing like that at all. Now I'm wondering what species I have LOL!! How big is it? I wonder if maybe mine is just bigger.

(sorry for the off topic)

View attachment 334273
Looks like yours is far older than mine, mine is still a sling at probably 4 or 5 instar. Hasn't developed the colors or the signature abdomen setae yet, only molted once for me since november and destroyed the molt so I don't know sex yet

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Looks like yours is far older than mine, mine is still a sling at probably 4 or 5 instar. Hasn't developed the colors or the signature abdomen setae yet, only molted once for me since november and destroyed the molt so I don't know sex yet
Ahhhh I see. I have no idea what sex mine is either. She's about 2.5" DLS maybe. I'm not sure really because she's neeeeever on the glass so I haven't measured her. I didn't know they were so purple when they are little. That is so adorable!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't know what I would call it, but it happens from time to time with T.'s on weird occasions. If there is no sucking stomach issues or no fang issues then judging from how you explain it, I would say a T. will pounce on it, but it refuses to take it and just the feeder get away free. This is something that happens to T.'s on some weird occasions and the only option is to try every 3 or so days until it eats something. My GBB has that exact same situation that your T. is currently going through. Your best bet is to try every now and then until it eats or hopefully molts out and start eating again. While it's not a injury or molt problem, it's just a weird behavior phase from what I would call it of not eating or hunting prey properly.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I've tried mealworms crickets and small dubia so far, she either ignores them or runs from them :( Still only eaten once since january 6th

She'll charge out of the hide when I drop in a mealworm and stand over it like she's going to eat, and then walk away
My avic has been doing the same thing. Idk what’s up with it, just letting it do it’s thing. It knows how to spider better than I do.

s0n1cs3v3n

Arachnopeon
I had a fangless tarantula at one point. Thankfully it was an acanthoscurria geniculata. She never gave up trying to eat and pounced everything that moved (including my finger) only to release the prey and walk away in disappointment. I tried cutting meal worms, dubia, and crickets in half and in quarters. It didn't work. Then I tried mashing up crickets, dubia, and meal worms and putting them in a water dish in hopes that she would try to suck it up... yuck... it didn't work... What worked was either prelanced crickets (stabbing crickets in the butt) or crickets that were very small just slightly bigger than pinhead crickets. She's one of my biggest tarantulas now and I won't be putting fingers in her enclosure anymore : P. I know you don't think it's the fangs, but my point is keep trying. Get creative and hopefully it'll pull through. Good luck!

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
It finally ate a mealworm and the abdomen filled out some so I feel relieved. I'll keep trying to feed and hopefully hunger strikes won't be a habit with this one.

Fangs seem to be working now

Attachments