Not sure what to do

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I received the 08 Albino female boa today and she is extremely aggressive. I'm so bummed. I wish now that I would have purchased a female at a show where I could have witnessed the snakes disposition.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ya thats a bummer! I would gear up and socialize it! after acclimation!

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your not friendly

From the wonderful OBT to this, you get to have all the fun! LOL

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I'm telling you... I have all the luck. I can't get within 6 feet of her enclosure without her striking. It's like she has never been handled.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Didn't you ask about her temperament before you bought her, or did the seller "fudge" a bit on that aspect(which some sellers will do)? I'd give her a few days to settle down before you try to handle her; cover her cage up with something dark, like a big trash bag, and just give her some time. Shipping can be fairly traumatic for an animal, after all. Keep in mind, though, that some strains of Boa morphs, especially the Kahl strain of albino, are notorious for nasty dispositions. I got lucky in that my little Kahl albino is a sweetheart, but then, I got her when she was only a week old and I've handled her a LOT.

One thing else to consider: ALL female Boas become EXTREMELY aggressive when they give birth! Most will get somewhat irritable as their pregnancy progresses, but that sweet, calm, docile pet will inevitably turn into a legless sow Grizzly on crack once she gives birth, and it can be a real adventure trying to remove the babies from her enclosure without winding up with a few teeth embedded in your person! They will settle down after awhile, usually after their first post-partem shed, but until then, be prepared to deal with a real beast! That is one of the things Boa breeders have to prepare for, and Pythons can be even worse-try taking eggs from a 14-foot-long Retic!

Give this girl some quiet time by herself to settle in, and try feeding her first, then you'll have a better idea of her temperament.

pitbulllady

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Didn't you ask about her temperament before you bought her, or did the seller "fudge" a bit on that aspect(which some sellers will do)? I'd give her a few days to settle down before you try to handle her; cover her cage up with something dark, like a big trash bag, and just give her some time. Shipping can be fairly traumatic for an animal, after all. Keep in mind, though, that some strains of Boa morphs, especially the Kahl strain of albino, are notorious for nasty dispositions. I got lucky in that my little Kahl albino is a sweetheart, but then, I got her when she was only a week old and I've handled her a LOT.

One thing else to consider: ALL female Boas become EXTREMELY aggressive when they give birth! Most will get somewhat irritable as their pregnancy progresses, but that sweet, calm, docile pet will inevitably turn into a legless sow Grizzly on crack once she gives birth, and it can be a real adventure trying to remove the babies from her enclosure without winding up with a few teeth embedded in your person! They will settle down after awhile, usually after their first post-partem shed, but until then, be prepared to deal with a real beast! That is one of the things Boa breeders have to prepare for, and Pythons can be even worse-try taking eggs from a 14-foot-long Retic!

Give this girl some quiet time by herself to settle in, and try feeding her first, then you'll have a better idea of her temperament.

pitbulllady
Thanks, PBL! That's exactly what I am going to do. I figured travel probably has something to do with it. I'm hoping with a little patience and work, she'll be OK.

The seller said she wasn't handled all the time because of how many snakes he has and that she was a little feisty. I guess "a little feisty" to me means something different, but then I'm used to the other three boas I have that are extremely docile and snuggle in bed with me. ;) I'm just going to give her some time and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck!

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Differences in opinion

Hey isn't that darling the cat is playing with that mouse, Maybe the mouse don't feel that way. ( edited for AB ) George Carlin

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One other thing...well, TWO other things: some snakes are "cage aggressive", which means they will bite you if go near their cage or reach into their cage, but once you have them out of the cage, they're fine. I've got a Green Ghost Ball Python like that. He's a holy terror in his little corner of the universe, and make no mistake, he WILL nail you! Once I take him out, he's like most Ball Pythons. I just have to either use a heavy towel or a snake hook to get him out in the first place. Towels can work wonders in calming and picking up a "fiesty" snake. The other thing-and this comes from considerable experience with snakes in the Pituophis genus especially-is that some snakes are genuine B.S'ers. They will huff and puff and strike at inanimate objects to try to bluff you, and when that fails, they stop. When I got my big male Red-Bellied Water Snake a couple of years ago from Edisto Island Serpentarium, he must have bit every tree and bush in Charleston County while I was carrying him from the outdoor snake enclosures to my car, but never once directed a strike towards ME. He even struck at empty air once or twice, like his Imaginary Friend was getting on his nerves or something. It was all show, no go. Snakes might not be the sharpest tacks in the tool box, but they will try to pull one over on you once in awhile, and they seem to figure out when it works and when it doesn't work. Once they realize that all the fake striking and hissing isn't getting them anwhere, they stop. Your Boa could be simply "trying you", to see what she can get by with and see if she can scare you, or she might actually mean it and be willing to back up her threat. Give her a few days, something to eat, and try the towel approach if she still wants to act up.

pitbulllady

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
One other thing...well, TWO other things: some snakes are "cage aggressive", which means they will bite you if go near their cage or reach into their cage, but once you have them out of the cage, they're fine. I've got a Green Ghost Ball Python like that. He's a holy terror in his little corner of the universe, and make no mistake, he WILL nail you! Once I take him out, he's like most Ball Pythons. I just have to either use a heavy towel or a snake hook to get him out in the first place. Towels can work wonders in calming and picking up a "fiesty" snake. The other thing-and this comes from considerable experience with snakes in the Pituophis genus especially-is that some snakes are genuine B.S'ers. They will huff and puff and strike at inanimate objects to try to bluff you, and when that fails, they stop. When I got my big male Red-Bellied Water Snake a couple of years ago from Edisto Island Serpentarium, he must have bit every tree and bush in Charleston County while I was carrying him from the outdoor snake enclosures to my car, but never once directed a strike towards ME. He even struck at empty air once or twice, like his Imaginary Friend was getting on his nerves or something. It was all show, no go. Snakes might not be the sharpest tacks in the tool box, but they will try to pull one over on you once in awhile, and they seem to figure out when it works and when it doesn't work. Once they realize that all the fake striking and hissing isn't getting them anwhere, they stop. Your Boa could be simply "trying you", to see what she can get by with and see if she can scare you, or she might actually mean it and be willing to back up her threat. Give her a few days, something to eat, and try the towel approach if she still wants to act up.

pitbulllady
Love your story! and I greatly appreciate your advice.

I am pretty certain she means business. She wouldn't strike at the hook, but when I put gloves on and tried to handle her, she struck at me. She did eat today a couple hours after she arrived. The seller sent her shed and feeding records and she is on a strict 12 day schedule according to the records. Today was day 15 (maybe he didn't want to feed her right before shipping) so we gave her a f/t small rat. She seems a little calmer this evening, but I haven't opened the lid and don't plan to for several days at least.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Love your story! and I greatly appreciate your advice.

I am pretty certain she means business. She wouldn't strike at the hook, but when I put gloves on and tried to handle her, she struck at me. She did eat today a couple hours after she arrived. The seller sent her shed and feeding records and she is on a strict 12 day schedule according to the records. Today was day 15 (maybe he didn't want to feed her right before shipping) so we gave her a f/t small rat. She seems a little calmer this evening, but I haven't opened the lid and don't plan to for several days at least.
you could trade it for a herd of g.pulchras {D

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck on your snake! Would like to add but what I would of said has been said..

BTW nice looking snake!{D{D

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
We did tank maintenance this morning on a bunch of our animals. I decided to handle her today. She hissed a little when I first got her out (I think she has a grudge against my husband since he was the one that she saw first after the trip here.. lol) but she was absolutely fine after that. I'm going to take some pictures in a little while and post them here. She is absolutely beautiful!!!

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Pictures... do not do her justice

These aren't the greatest pictures. I didn't realize that my camera battery was almost dead.

She's a little camera shy - didn't want her face in there. lol

We got it though :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is so pretty! I am honestly glad my boa shows zero attitude.. No cage aggression, feeding aggression, nothing! :) Glad to hear your girl is calming down.. :D

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Congrats, Toni. She is absolutely gorgeous. glad to hear she is calming down for you. Our little Colombian Boa had her own issues when we first got her, now she is super calm and sweet.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to hear of any progress in this case.
Hopefully she improves even more in the way you'd like her to.