Not sure what it is.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
I am new here but I picked up a scorpion and it said Vaejovis Spinigerus - striped devil scorp. But the top said H. SP. What are the differences of these 2 species or are there none? I can't get any good pics right now as he is hiding and only .5-1". I will try and get a pic when he is out so I don't stress him out. I do have some pics but you can't exactly see him enough to get a correct ID. Help please.

Danimal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could be hadrurus sp. Or h. Spadix. Or just an old container with a label on it. I do that a lot when I get new stuff. Where did u buy it?

silvertears

Arachnopeon
City Zoo, in Elmira, NY. I got him for $12. The V. Spinigerus was on a sticky note.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Those are the only pics I have they aren't good. Not sure it's good enough for anyone to get an ID on.

Ecstasy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Might just be me, but I can hardly see because of the lighting so I can give you a definite ID on what it is exactly.

I can definitely tell you it's not a V. spin though. Not even the same color. Plus the claws are way to big :p

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looks like one of the burrowing scorpions... Opistophthalmus sp, i dont know which

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am amazed you can get something out of that photo.
OP I reccomend you take the scorp out to get a better view of it, and take an underside photo as well. Putting the critter in a plastic sandwhich bag to prevent movement will do you great.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The H. sp. on the top might be referring to "Heterometrus species".
Now that I take a second look, you might be right. forgot how they looked as slings :p

I just saw long claws, dark body, and short tail and thought Opistophthalmus sp

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now that I take a second look, you might be right. forgot how they looked as slings :p

I just saw long claws, dark body, and short tail and thought Opistophthalmus sp
It does look like an Opistophthalmus sps through that plastic, it's a good guess imo. It's only that the top had H. sp. that I was wondering if it's a Heterometrus sp. Poss it could be an Opisto, just so hard to see.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H.sp refers to Hoffmanius spinigerus.......it's the latest revision made to the old name of Vaejovis spinigerus

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, I see. Hmm, still a mystery about what it is, ..did he leave:?, need a better pic.

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
It looks like a Heterometrus sp... If it is one, the i recommend that you replace the substrate with peat or potting soil, then make sure the substrate is moistened. Certainly doesn't look like a Vaejovus sp..

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's no Vaejovis/Hofmannius or Hadrurus or Opisthopthalmus spp....Given the labeling "H.sp." it could be very well a Heterometrus sp. because to me the specimen looks like one...
Some clear shots would be nice though. It is that I am extremely knowledgeable and intelligent, cuz otherwise I would have said: "Nice guinnea pig you got there!"...

silvertears

Arachnopeon
New pics in about 20 minutes, have to wait for dad to leave he doesn't know about the scorp yet.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Definitely of the opinion that it is a Heterometrus scorpion. Look at the shape of the chela.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H.sp refers to Hoffmanius spinigerus.......it's the latest revision made to the old name of Vaejovis spinigerus
sp refers to specie, it's used when a person is unsure of the specific specie they have of said genus

I would also ask where you get how a Vaejovis spinigerus has color or a chela shape of that.

silvertears

Arachnopeon

They are the best pics I can get. My camera isn't working right for some reason so I only have my phone to take pics with.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only way to tell what specific Heterometrus specie it is is by the granulation on its "face" and the shape of its chela. I dont know enough about this genus to tell you beyond that :p I'm told they're fun, so have fun with it! :)

silvertears

Arachnopeon
What is the care for Heterometrus. I am going to switch to moss peit when I can get to the pet store and pick some up. How often should I give him water and for how long? I will feed crickets and small meal worms. Also are they a communal species? If so how many would be good in a 10gl? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure he is healthy and happy.