Not sure if rehousing my b. hamorii sling was the right thing to do.

ClearlyNewhere

Arachnopeon
I hadn’t seen my little sling (<1”) in a couple of months, and the sub seemed very swampy at the bottom (my dad over watered while I was out of town). I was worried that that amount of wetness could harm the spider, and the container was probably much too big for it as well (about 4”x 2”x2”), so I mixed some coir with a little of the original sub (sterilized soil/peat mixture) and put it in a deli cup (about 3 oz.). I slowly and gently scooped out the sub from the big container until I finally found the sling at the bottom and coaxed them into the deli cup. The sling was very calm moving into its new house, but I wonder if I should have left them alone. The deli cup has cross and top ventilation, a full water dish, moist substrate, and a small overturned jar lid for a hide.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Of course, but I’d like to know for future reference.
There is probably no right or wrong answer....it likely would have been fine, but moving it is a complete non-issue as well.

Slings are very very easy to re house, so its an easy thing to do any time you think something is wrong (over watering is indeed more risky than a bit too dry, although not necessarily always a killer, either)....even if its not, a re house wont cause a problem.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Of course, but I’d like to know for future reference.
I doubt you hurt it but it's always best to be sure they aren't molting or something before a rehouse. If it's buried and you haven't recently seen it, it's probably best to wait if it isn't an emergency.

ClearlyNewhere

Arachnopeon
I doubt you hurt it but it's always best to be sure they aren't molting or something before a rehouse. If it's buried and you haven't recently seen it, it's probably best to wait if it isn't an emergency.
I’ll wait next time. This is my first t, I have a lot to experience with caring for one!