Feedback Not sure how to work this board yet please help!

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
I am new on here and am getting messages from I guess admin. I don't do this on purpose and really know exactly what I'm doing wrong. There are many places to post where I try to post in the right place. I do reply to people on there posts, sometimes we chat back and forth I got a message from here I will post if not allowed delete just want to show what I'm doing wrong to get the proper help. Is this warning because we're not supposed to chat back and forth new threads? Are we supposed to edit and reply on the same comment where we posted? So what I do is I'll awnser a question with a reply, Screenshot_2021-04-25-23-48-00.png they will say something back then I will press reply where they asked and so on so forth is this wrong?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yes, if it's about the same tarantula/issue, you should reply to your existing thread rather than starting another thread. This makes it easier for everyone to follow the conversation.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
That is when you post muliple posts together, if you post multiple in a row then moderators will merge them together

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Ok, there is nothing wrong when I post, then you post they I post. So back and forth. but when I post multiple time in a row when no one else is saying anything then you cant do that. I'll even do it rn

Hello. You see when I post comments a few times in a row

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hi @Jessica88 ,

No one said you were doing this on purpose. Although, there is no way for any of us to know if it is intentional or accidental. Our job is to inform you, which I did.

The "notice" (not warning) that you saw was directly related to posting one post right after another (consecutive), with no other posts from other users in between. It is considered bad posting etiquette and technically could be considered spamming.

Thank you @xXTristinaXx for the above example. :)

Please do not rely on the mods to catch it and merge it. If we catch it, we merge it. However, it can be avoided altogether. It is very easy to just edit your original post (click on the edit button at the bottom of your post) to add the content to it. We also have the multi quote feature, if you wanted to address more than one user at a time by quoting them for your reply. By scrolling over the +Quote located in the bottom right hand side of your screen, you will see it say "toggle multi quote". By clicking on that in every post you wish to quote, it will place all of the quotes in the reply box for you. ;)

You can see how long you have to edit a post or a thread title (depending on the account type/user group that you are in) here: https://arachnoboards.com/help/upgrades/

Hope that helped to better clarify your confusion. :)

Regards,

Debby

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
Yes, if it's about the same tarantula/issue, you should reply to your existing thread rather than starting another thread. This makes it easier for everyone to follow the conversation.
So even if its a different subject just want to be clear? So I edit and put what I ask

Hi @Jessica88 ,

No one said you were doing this on purpose. Although, there is no way for any of us to know if it is intentional or accidental. Our job is to inform you, which I did.

The "notice" (not warning) that you saw was directly related to posting one post right after another (consecutive), with no other posts from other users in between. It is considered bad posting etiquette and technically could be considered spamming.

Thank you @xXTristinaXx for the above example. :)

Please do not rely on the mods to catch it and merge it. If we catch it, we merge it. However, it can be avoided altogether. It is very easy to just edit your original post (click on the edit button at the bottom of your post) to add the content to it. We also have the multi quote feature, if you wanted to address more than one user at a time by quoting them for your reply. By scrolling over the +Quote located in the bottom right hand side of your screen, you will see it say "toggle multi quote". By clicking on that in every post you wish to quote, it will place all of the quotes in the reply box for you. ;)

You can see how long you have to edit a post or a thread title (depending on the account type/user group that you are in) here: https://arachnoboards.com/help/upgrades/

Hope that helped to better clarify your confusion. :)

Regards,

Debby
Oh ok I think I'm getting it ok so since not so many useres are making post and my post is still visible I just edit and add. When you said spamming I got it my kids showed me a long time ago what spamming was when someone continuously send one after another. I thought if it was a different matter and subject we make another thread my apologies. Ok and the quote is when I am continuously replying to someone or multiple in a same thread I copy there quote or mine and reply like that? Just want to make sure.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So if you need to reply to multiple people, in order to prevent doing multiple posts before someone else can answer, you can hit quote under their reply to reply to multiple at one time. Then when you go to reply, you can hit insert the quotes all at once into one reply. See the images I have attached and labeled, that way it can make it clearer how to reply to everyone at once. (they may post out of order due to my internet, but they are numbered 1 2 3 4 etc)

So even if its a different subject just want to be clear? So I edit and put what I ask
This is just for the sake of the example

Oh ok I think I'm getting it ok so since not so many useres are making post and my post is still visible I just edit and add. When you said spamming I got it my kids showed me a long time ago what spamming was when someone continuously send one after another. I thought if it was a different matter and subject we make another thread my apologies. Ok and the quote is when I am continuously replying to someone or multiple in a same thread I copy there quote or mine and reply like that? Just want to make sure.
still showing the example.

Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
If it is a different matter and subject, then yes you make a different separate new thread. What you got notified about were multiple consecutive posts (replies) in a single thread. Threads and posts are completely different entities, just to clarify. ;)

An example is what you did above inside this very thread. You replied to @Ungoliant in one post and then made a separate post to reply to me (posts right after another, back to back). These could have both been done in one single reply (post). I hope that makes it a bit easier for you to understand. :)

Debby

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
So if you need to reply to multiple people, in order to prevent doing multiple posts before someone else can answer, you can hit quote under their reply to reply to multiple at one time. Then when you go to reply, you can hit insert the quotes all at once into one reply. See the images I have attached and labeled, that way it can make it clearer how to reply to everyone at once. (they may post out of order due to my internet, but they are numbered 1 2 3 4 etc)

Jessica88 said:

Jessica88 said:

Hopefully this helps.

Attachments
  • example 4.png
    example 4.png

204.9 KBViews: 0
  • example 3.png
    example 3.png

146.9 KBViews: 0
  • example 2.png
    example 2.png

229.1 KBViews: 0
  • example 1.png
    example 1.png

146.4 KBViews: 0
  • Oh ok I think I'm getting it ok so since not so many useres are making post and my post is still visible I just edit and add. When you said spamming I got it my kids showed me a long time ago what spamming was when someone continuously send one after another. I thought if it was a different matter and subject we make another thread my apologies. Ok and the quote is when I am continuously replying to someone or multiple in a same thread I copy there quote or mine and reply like that? Just want to make sure.
  • Oh ok I think I'm getting it ok so since not so many useres are making post and my post is still visible I just edit and add. When you said spamming I got it my kids showed me a long time ago what spamming was when someone continuously send one after another. I thought if it was a different matter and subject we make another thread my apologies. Ok and the quote is when I am continuously replying to someone or multiple in a same thread I copy there quote or mine and reply like that? Just want to make sure.
  • So if you need to reply to multiple people, in order to prevent doing multiple posts before someone else can answer, you can hit quote under their reply to reply to multiple at one time. Then when you go to reply, you can hit insert the quotes all at once into one reply. See the images I have attached and labeled, that way it can make it clearer how to reply to everyone at once. (they may post out of order due to my internet, but they are numbered 1 2 3 4 etc)

Hopefully this helps.
    I hope I did this right I'm not really good at electronics I'm okay but not good at like adding etc... I know how to copy and paste hope I did this right. Like this?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, that's the idea.

Here, try it with this reply that has less to it and maybe with @Arachnopets post, that way you can get a better visual of how it works without the clutter of my images I posted. :)

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
ok I understand I'm trying to learn to add it in one thread then. I hope I'm doing it right. So far this is what I'm doing correct me if I'm doing this wrong. I'm going to what you responded I press +quote then I go to my first reply and I press respond then I press add quote. It shows a preview of your reply I press remove and the post.

Hopefully this helps.

Attachments
  • example 4.png
    example 4.png

204.9 KBViews: 0
  • example 3.png
    example 3.png

146.9 KBViews: 0
  • example 2.png
    example 2.png

229.1 KBViews: 0
  • example 1.png
    example 1.png

146.4 KBViews: 0

• I hope I did this right I'm not really good at electronics I'm okay but not good at like adding etc... I know how to copy and paste hope I did this right. Like this?
Like this? But is this ok to have so much on it?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can just press add quotes, no need to hit the remove. If you peek at example 3 I posted above it has the button circled. :) Remove takes it out of the ones you want to reply to, so that likely won't be what you want to do.

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
You can just press add quotes, no need to hit the remove. If you peek at example 3 I posted above it has the button circled. :) Remove takes it out of the ones you want to reply to, so that likely won't be what you want to do.
I feel like I understand just can't do it right. It doesnt look like your examples ill try to screenshot what I'm doing to see if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doing two replies in a row like what's in this picture is what they are talking about. :) Just do all you have to say in one reply, with more than one quote if needed, wait for someone else to post, then you can post again.

I am happy
I feel like I understand just can't do it right. It doesn't look like your examples ill try to screenshot what I'm doing to see if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I am more than happy to help troubleshoot. Could you screenshot what your reply box looks like before you hit post? I think I have an idea where the problem is but I want to be sure.

Attachments

Jessica88

Arachnopeon

Attachments

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay I see the problem. I'll screenshot how to make it look like mine. Do you see in this picture where it says quote and /quote in the boxes? That code tells the forum where what you're quoting is inside of, like parenthesis (the quote is here). What you want to do is type your reply to each quote after the [] symbols with /quote inside them.

I feel like I understand just can't do it right. It doesn't look like your examples ill try to screenshot what I'm doing to see if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
This is where I type the reply to your quote

I am more than happy to help troubleshoot. Could you screenshot what your reply box looks like before you hit post? I think I have an idea where the problem is but I want to be sure.
This is where I type the reply to my quote

Then it makes it look nice and neat because each reply is matched with the correct quote.

Attachments