Resolved Not Receiving Notifications

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I am not receiving notifications on a consistent basis. I am only sporadically receiving them if someone quotes, or tags, me in a thread. I do have the necessary settings chosen to alert me of those scenarios.
notifications.jpg

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hi @Vanessa,

I am not receiving notifications on a consistent basis. I am only sporadically receiving them if someone quotes, or tags, me in a thread. I do have the necessary settings chosen to alert me of those scenarios.
Xenforo's notification/alerts system has always been a bit "wonky".

Now, just to confirm:
  • Are you talking about getting email notifications or alerts through the website?
  • Are you subscribed to/watching the threads in question?
  • Do you see any of the "missing" alerts when you click on alerts?

According to Xenforo, the way the notification system works is you will only be notified of the post if:
  • The post is the first post made after your "last visited" timestamp (the last time you visited the thread). You will not get notifications for additional posts/quotes/tags after the first until you visit the thread again. At that point, you will get a notification again for the first post.
  • The quotes/tags are in a new post, not a post that was already there and then edited. The software only notifies based on conditions met at the time of the post, not conditions met after the fact.

Regards,
MrD

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I looked at one specific instance and the note in the bottom right was that a moderator edited it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hi @Vanessa,

Xenforo's notification/alerts system has always been a bit "wonky".

Now, just to confirm:
  • Are you talking about getting email notifications or alerts through the website?
  • Are you subscribed to/watching the threads in question?
  • Do you see any of the "missing" alerts when you click on alerts?

According to Xenforo, the way the notification system works is you will only be notified of the post if:
  • The post is the first post made after your "last visited" timestamp (the last time you visited the thread). You will not get notifications for additional posts/quotes/tags after the first until you visit the thread again. At that point, you will get a notification again for the first post.
  • The quotes/tags are in a new post, not a post that was already there and then edited. The software only notifies based on conditions met at the time of the post, not conditions met after the fact.

Regards,
MrD
Okay, sorry.
1. Notifications here under "Alerts".
2. No, I'm not subscribed. Where I am subscribed, I am getting those alerts. This happens when people quote me or tag me.
3. No, when I go to "See all Alerts" they are not there.
4. The posts were made after I was gone and there was no previous alert to interfere with subsequent ones.
5. The fact that a moderator edited the post might have had something to do with the missing alert.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Okay, sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about :) We just need the information to better troubleshoot the issue.

2. No, I'm not subscribed. Where I am subscribed, I am getting those alerts. This happens when people quote me or tag me.
This may be part of the problem. You may need to be subscribed to the thread to get the alert.

3. No, when I go to "See all Alerts" they are not there.
This just means that an alert was not generated. Not necessarily a problem.

5. The fact that a moderator edited the post might have had something to do with the missing alert.
This could be the exact reason if what you thought you should get a notification for was not in the post when it was originally made and then edited in.

Lets do some testing :)

Are you currently subscribed to this thread?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
@Vanessa

Unfortunately, there's no way to see what notifications were sent out on a post so other than testing current functionality there's not much else we can do. We tested the quote notification and we tested the tag notification and you said you received alerts for both so I'm not sure what else we can troubleshoot as the alerts seems to be working.