Not quite fast enough

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We were moving some monitors to new cages and I was only able to grab one end of the lizard. The bitey end was secured, but she was able to grab on to my forearm before I could secure her back end. The result is a nice set of scratches down my arm.

And they looked so sweet and innocent when they were younger.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had some good scratches from moving a couple croc monitors around. The bitey end is always the priority when it comes to lizards lol.

Much rather be scratched up then bit up.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had some good scratches from moving a couple croc monitors around. The bitey end is always the priority when it comes to lizards lol.

Much rather be scratched up then bit up.
Amen. I've had ER visits due to animal bites. Both involving croc monitors. The not-so-funny thing is that it was the CB "calm" croc monitor that did it. Twice I surprised the lizard and twice it surprised me right back. My WC and I had an unspoken agreement. If they charged at me I'd run away quickly. There was none of this false sense of security I had with my CB croc.

mike w

Arachnopeon
Anytime I had to handle or move my Nile Monitor I wore long sleeve shirts and leather gloves!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anytime I had to handle or move my Nile Monitor I wore long sleeve shirts and leather gloves!
I had a leather glove on the other hand. It now has bite marks that go through the leather. (It bit the extra material though not my arm underneath). I don't like wearing gloves if at all possible since I don't like how they never fit tightly and it is harder to grip and monitor your grip through the leather.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amen. I've had ER visits due to animal bites. Both involving croc monitors. The not-so-funny thing is that it was the CB "calm" croc monitor that did it. Twice I surprised the lizard and twice it surprised me right back. My WC and I had an unspoken agreement. If they charged at me I'd run away quickly. There was none of this false sense of security I had with my CB croc.
I would never fully trust animals like that. Sadly my friend traded his crocs off to get some saltwater systems for his pet shop. I miss those monitors.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
reminds me of when i used to keep monitors.

had a big female Varanus salvator that was dog tame/hand fed/ridden by small children at the pet store i used to work at. she was such a sweetheart i miss her :(

had a male Varanus rudicollis also, not too bad. i would get cut up with his claws but he didn't mean it.

had a trio of Varanus jobiensis they were just pure evil.

-i think all 3 managed to bite me at 1 time

-1 of them was a ninja with her tail actually got me across the cheek 1 time and drew blood.

-and there was the time that one managed to get on my back and like an idiot i didn't let the tail go till my back looked like chopmeat.

but i miss my monitors

oh by the way nice tri-coloreds

moose

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how big of an enclosure do you need for that moniter?
We're finishing the adult cages now. They measure 8 feet by 4 feet at the base. They are only 6 feet tall as we're limited by the fans in their room. If I were to rebuild the cages (which I'll have to do in a couple years) I'd make them taller.

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its nice to see some more yuwoni in the states there really beautiful but notoriously mean. what are opinion?

congrats on those beautiful lizards;)

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its nice to see some more yuwoni in the states there really beautiful but notoriously mean. what are opinion?

congrats on those beautiful lizards;)
So far they deserve their reputation. They dig, climb, swim, and most importantly, they seem to like being left alone. They didn't do well when housed together (expected) and they don't like me in the room. I rarely see them eat and if they spot me just after a meal they'll regurgitate (which is starting to affect my self esteem). Probably the worst "pet" monitor I've ever kept. That said, I like them. I don't plan on holding them so I don't mind. I only pick them up when needed.