not quite a noobie but still need help

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
k so been in hobby for a bit but been havin trouble wit my lp.. shes webbing lightly all over floor, is this result of over feedind? she ate about 4 roaches aak dak for a few weeks.. then her 1st pinkie ( 2 weeks ago) now about 3 large super worms a day since... she would literally eat all day i swear. hence her name " lunchbox"

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

i got her in dec she was around 5" .. she molted on 2/23 now shes 6plus .. huge butt and carapiece is widening.. prob gttn close to a molt as shes rollin dirt up in web out of her hide like last time .. but all this lil silvery web everywhere is new.. is it normal?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like normal behavior.

I'm not going to get into deeply, but mice aren't highly recommended feeders. They just don't mesh well in a tarantula's diet. Would be better to stick with roaches & worms. And just because your tarantula will stuff it's face with as much as you give it, doesn't mean you necessarily should. Just as with about every other animal :) Long as her bum looks good.

Was it's molt on 2/23 2010 or 2011? If 2/23/11, then you may be feeding it way more then needed (if you always tend to feed it as you described) & may be forcing it to grow quicker. Which could be a bad thing if it's a male & you plan on being around for a while.

May want to avoid chat speak. It makes your posts kind of hard to read :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
molt was in feb 11.. i dont really think shes in premolt yet as shes still voraciously eatin, and her butts nice and black.. when i first got her, she had a tiny pink patch on it that kept growin for 2months till molt came. shes just now developing that spot again. as far as mice go im very aware and that will be maybe once a molt thing.. was basically just worried bout web cuz THATS NEWER. she webs alot while dancing/eating... keepin an eye on her peds and watchin 4 hooks.. even experienced t sexters get it wrong sometimes

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you buy it from someone as sexed? I wouldn't eyeball for boxing gloves & hooks very often, those will only appear after a molt.

The pink patch doesn't mean much. That could be the shine of the mirror patch or a patch of missing hair from throwing hairs (whether at you or for lining the webbing.)

A tarantula eating while moving in a circle & webbing is perfectly normal. A webbing tarantula is normal, just means they're settling in & setting up house.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it was gifted to me actually. the store confirmed her as female, however, they clearly misidentified her ( maybe was just housed in a diff. ts jar at sale). i recently bought a p. reg at an expo and the seller said at molt mail it to him for a REAL id

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yea.. it came in a jar jor a b. vagans.... WAY OFF. im no expert but shes DEF. a parahybana lol. youd have to be blind to not know it... i believe her pics r somewhere in my profile. kindga computer illiterate, so not sure how to post more

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
There are a more than one sp. in the lasiodora genus. I don't doubt its a L. parahybana, but how can you tell the difference? When you say the pet store confirmed it as female, how did they confirm it? With a molt? How can someone sex a spider if they can't even label it properly?

Its kind of like talking to a used car salesman IMO. You never know if your being told what you want to hear so you will buy something. Or if people just like the sound of their own voice trying to sound smart. Im not saying this IS the case, but it's very common that pet stores are unedjucated about tarantulas.

I hope it turns out you have a female that lives a long time. :)

Feeding mice not only has a risk of bad molts, but the medicated bedding and food pet stores may or may not use in breeding feeders is no good. A diet with vertibrates is unnecessary. I don't see whats so entertaining about a mouse being eaten by a spider. I prefer the "crunch" of a roach to the "squeak" of a mouse. Yes i know pinkies don't make noise but its still no fun to watch a live mouse be stabbed by a spider IMO.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mama always said buying Ts from pet stores is like a box o' chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get {D

I've never understood why anyone thinks that a spider webbing isn't normal? They're spiders, webbing is their expertise. ;)

I would agree that you are overdrawing it. Cut back.