Not much gardenspiders in the garden?

MeowySnowleopard

Arachnopeon
I dont know where this belongs but i have a little problem....

Anyone knows how to get more cross spiders (araneus diadermatus) to live in my garden?
They live more in the near woods then in the garden, anyone knows why?

Is it because it's too dry here?
Because it's in the most dry part of germany.

Well nobody waters the woods .... Is the moss a good habitate for spiders? We have moss on the yard, really much, right under big spruces.

In the sheds they cant life, i heard other spiders kill them

Oopsie, the other spiders i mean are vibrating spiders. The ones with the long butt and tiny legs that shudder if something comes near the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Have you tried relocating them from the forest? If they live in the forest, they probably prefer partial to full shade. The garden may be too sunny, or simply none happened to balloon in. Not nearly enough orb weavers end up in my yard and the habitat is perfect. I mostly see them on the house actually.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They over-winter. When the bugs come out in spring, the remake their wens.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
These often live in wild grasslands with lots of wildflowers to attract insect prey.
They need strong vertical supports to construct their webs, for example a few young trees 1-2 meters apart, or you could use stakes instead.

I recommend planting wildflowers amongst young trees or vertical stakes, and watering the area periodically, allowing fine mist to be blown into the spiders' webs to give them moisture.

the other spiders i mean are vibrating spiders. The ones with the long butt and tiny legs that shudder if something comes near the net.
By the way, those vibrating spiders sound like pholcids, maybe Pholcus phalangioides, which do indeed vibrate as a defensive behavior when they feel threatened, and they do invade the webs of other spiders to eat them. Also a very interesting species.

Last edited:

MeowySnowleopard

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the tips, by the way, you should see my garden (not in winter of course) i have much wildflowers, false cleavers, tall nettles near the compost (they may grow where they want, just not right benew my plants, stealing their minerals and light)
The last cross spider i saw in the garden build it's net right on a dattura plant. Do they like them? 😺 I do, they are purr-ple

Have you tried relocating them from the forest? If they live in the forest, they probably prefer partial to full shade. The garden may be too sunny, or simply none happened to balloon in. Not nearly enough orb weavers end up in my yard and the habitat is perfect. I mostly see them on the house actually.
The woods are not that near as i said. I would need a box with holes for the spiders to breathe, but not so big that they can out and which wouldnt accidentally open if i drive on an old way full of roadholes.
But always if im hunting mushrooms and a spider came with, i put it in the garden.

So, where can they survive over winter? All sheds are full of other spiders which would kill them 😟
Can they live in holes in earth? How can i be sure spiders will live there and no bugs or wasps, there are wasps living in earth holes.