Not Growing Sling

ahya03

Arachnopeon
I need help. My Brachypelma Albiceps sling seems to be stuck in that size(1cm) for over a month now and I never saw it eat anything that I placed and left (alive and pre-killed). And all that I can do is to mist the enclosure. Does anyone knows what is going on with this sling? TIA
IMG20200708222748.jpg IMG20200708222804.jpg

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Rehouse it into something much smaller. I would use the one in the middle, if its really tiny then the one on the left.

Edit: I wouldn't mist, I would use a water dish and add water to the sub with a syringe.

Attachments

mellow

Arachnobaron
I don't think anything is wrong with your sling, I think all Brachypelma are pretty slow growing and it will molt eventually, just keep misting the enclosure appropriately and keep trying to feed it once or twice a week.
😃

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
can add a pinch of moss the sling will use it as a hideor burrow under it plus you juwet down the moss and it will drink from it .sling looks like it has a rice grain sized body? you can do this just leave a small bit of meal worm each night in with it and remove the next day just remeber where you placed it and if its been moved the sling probably ate then. hope this helps

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Everything's fine. Slings of this species will grow quite slow. Just continue giving her water in a dish as Jaw said and place pre-killed food weekly, more or less. Take out uneaten stuff a day or so later to avoid mold.

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
I am agreement with Not Misting the Enclosure. Find Something Small even like a lego piece and use that for a water dish. Use a Syringe to add the water to it. Misting evaporates too fast and also stresses out your animal. Follow the rehousing advice. That species is notoriously slow growing at a small size so just keep offering it prey (Even Pre Killed) Remove it after 24 hours if it has not eaten and then try again in a week or so.

ahya03

Arachnopeon
Rehouse it into something much smaller. I would use the one in the middle, if its really tiny then the one on the left.

Edit: I wouldn't mist, I would use a water dish and add water to the sub with a syringe.
Actually, the sling is in an enclosure similar to the circumference of your first cup. All molted to me at least 1-2x already but this one is really fighting the urge eat and molt lmao

I don't think anything is wrong with your sling, I think all Brachypelma are pretty slow growing and it will molt eventually, just keep misting the enclosure appropriately and keep trying to feed it once or twice a week.
😃
I will wait for another month of hoping that this one will grow. Maybe it is eating without me noticing.

I am agreement with Not Misting the Enclosure. Find Something Small even like a lego piece and use that for a water dish. Use a Syringe to add the water to it. Misting evaporates too fast and also stresses out your animal. Follow the rehousing advice. That species is notoriously slow growing at a small size so just keep offering it prey (Even Pre Killed) Remove it after 24 hours if it has not eaten and then try again in a week or so.
This is noted. Will rehouse it as soon as the smallest cup is vacant. I'm just waiting for the arrival of my new enclosures. Thank you so much!

Guys, your answers and tips removed my worries. Thank you so much!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Nothing out of the ordinary but the cup its in seems pretty tall, if you can find a short one with about the same floor space that'd be better. Has the prekilled prey been disappearing? You can usually tell if they're eating by the abdomen getting bigger but if the food is disappearing it is probably eating. Just make sure to keep one half of the enclosure misted and I'd offer food every 4-5 days or so.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nothing unusual for this species, it's not going to moult every month or 2 like slings of faster growing species, they are by far the slowest growing species from the genus and don't have much in the way of an appetite, I'd rehouse to a 2oz condiment cup to make monitoring easier and try feeding it a pre-killed feeder every 7-10 days (remove after 24hrs if uneaten), it doesn't take much to fill them up and they can go several months without food even at that size.

sling enclosure1.JPG

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s just doing it’s Brachypelma slow metabolism thing. Patience and waiting is just part of this hobby, better get used to it with some species they work on their own time not ours.