Not good...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the thing is i only know how to take care of my GBB please help.
I suggest you read up on that new slings husbandry. I know it sounds bizarre and really crazy, but doing research on that species will benefit you and by extension the T that will be in your care.

cold blood

Staff member
This is my 2nd T, i only wanted 1 to start with because it would help me get in to the hobby, but i didnt know about the free spider being part of my deal
Think of it as a bonus that will allow you to learn things at a slightly faster rate.

Yeah, ill see how it goes, if i cant take care of it ill give it away
You really shouldn't have a problem, they're the opposite of a GBB in how they're kept, but that doesn't mean they're a difficult keep. Just keep an area of the substrate damp and feed repeatedly.

They really one of the more enjoyable ts I've raised from tiny slings. I raised about 28 at once and they were all good eaters, no, great eaters, even when teeny tiny. Until they were over an inch, I was getting molts between 24 and 30 days, so they can grow really quick if kept warm and fed well. Its really cool to see the colors slowly come in, they're a real treat.

Last edited:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I keep my nhandu on dry sub with a water dish. Its a bit skittish, loves to borrow and has a great appetite.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm guessing it was TB order?

They are not difficult to keep.

I keep my large juvie 1/4 dry. I put some spag moss near the water dish and overflow it every 2 weeks. But as it will be a tiny sling you got then a small vial filled near to the top with damp(not dripping wet) substrate will do. Poke some small holes on the top and the sides for good ventilation. Make a small hole in the sub for it to burrow. Drop some droplets of water on the sides of vial every 4 days or so to give drinking access but don't over-do it.
I keep at 19-25C. I fed my slings prekilled small calci worms or small crickets. :)

Always use tongs while feeding/doing maintenance

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I keep my nhandu on dry sub with a water dish. Its a bit skittish, loves to borrow and has a great appetite.
Does it at least pay you back? If not, that's kind of a black mark on it as a prospective acquisition for me.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Should i wait longer to let them settle in?
Didn't you just get them? Yeah give them some time. Most Ts rarely eat right after being transferred to a new home. I'd wait at least a few days and then offer again. Its nothing to worry about. As long as they have water they're fine.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Didn't you just get them? Yeah give them some time. Most Ts rarely eat right after being transferred to a new home. I'd wait at least a few days and then offer again. Its nothing to worry about. As long as they have water they're fine.
Yeah they have water, just me worrying over nothing i guess

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah they have water, just me worrying over nothing i guess
Yeah, remember, these animals evolved to be able to go for many months without food if need be. Tarantulas are very good at being tarantulas...they've been around for a long time. They'll eat when they're ready. Just wait a few days or so and then try offering again. If they don't take then wait another few days, etc. Try not to stress about it, they'll be fine...it just takes some time to get used to tarantulas and their habits/behaviors because they're so wildly different than pretty much any other type of pet. As long as they have water, they're good.