Not first, not last but begginner looking for some help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We have decided to hold with the idea of having T and do more research about other animals as well. Mainly due to safety concerns and a child at home and having no experience at all.

@viper69 Kitchen isn't that big and during winter can loose some heat on occasion when someone goes in and out for a smoke. Reason why we started discussion in the first place.
I definitely like the idea of having interesting animal at home but we just might try with a snake instead as a lamp setup would perhaps provide protection for steady temperature - which isn't my main concern but something I'm trying to account for.

Thank you all for your inputs.
consistent heat is important for any animal in your care

Bloodrazor

Arachnopeon
Well literally everyone has to start somewhere with experience level so don’t get discouraged by that and there are no true safety concerns. Keeping tarantulas is perfectly safe.
Topic is not closed but a good discussion on pros and cons helps and obviously shared experiences from people like you guys who can actually tell a story or few or even point out important facts.
I never thought T can actually be that dangerous - which points out to me overconfidence, lack of knowledge and pure ignorance - that is a "no no"...
Well throughout enclosure makes things easier and safer and mitigates to some extend factors like stupid owner :wacky:

@viper69 Something that I try to keep in mind - and I appreciate your comments.

I still think spiders are pretty awesome and I'm looking for reasons to consider them anyway above any other options like scorpions etc :rofl:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I never thought T can actually be that dangerous
Theyre not dangerous in anyway and there has never been one confirmed documented fatality from Theraphosidae, they are just living creatures who need to be treated with respect, that is very different from dangerous, which they most certainly are not. If you are mindful and treat them with respect more than likely you will never have an issue. I have never even come close to something bad happening in keeping them as it regards to safety. Theyre amazing, just respect them for what they are and you will be fine.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
not sure I would choose an OW for a first t....the speed isn't smth a beginner is ready for I believe
some can disappear in the blink of an eye (did happen to me)
I would go for an arboreal NW since they tend to kick hairs alot less than terrestrials (obviously depends on the t itself) and have mild venom

Bloodrazor

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Sorry for late catch-up. I raised discussion with my family again and attached is our new family member - Milo (just for giggles cause everyone thinks it's a dog, and I think this actually might be a she?).

This is obviously not what I was aiming for and consulting few times with the local reptile shop I figured - hey, you gotta start somewhere and not just run your mouth.

I am going to be hanged for the height of the substrate but I was actually pretty nervous getting it to feel remotely comfortable as our T did not wanted to move much for first evening and entire next day.
We obviously did not touched it, bothered it, nor even tried to feed. MIlo (chaco, golden knee species) arrived home on Thursday afternoon and we are letting it to at least get somewhat comfortable with it's new surrounding.

We observed only whether and how it's reacting to it's new environment and reason why it was stressful for me at least was because T would appear...just neutral really, like it didn't cared or was completely mortified.
Ambient temperature ranges from around solid 20 to 24 which I believe is about right. I took the heat mat (made in UK) but we are actually not using it.

Substrate is a mix of coconut fiber and some sort of ground. There is 5 - 6 cm of substrate in the container and I know I am risking it falling - something I'm planning to address ASAP.

We have planned to feed it with level 1 crickets on Sunday. There is also tiny sea shell with flat surface of maybe 2-3mm of water and diameter of about maybe 3 cm. Water appears to remain somewhat inside that shell for good number of hours which to me indicates heat levels are ok and hopefully moisture too.

T finally decided to hide inside the wooden bark few hours ago what made me relax a little.

To resolve level of substrate and height of the container I think of gluing "anti-climb" obstacle around walls of the container from flexible tubing leftovers from a PC project (tubing purchased in a pet store - around 1cm diameter). While I managed to forget and address that from the start I don't want to perform any unnecessarily invasive operations for some time and hope the anti-climb idea to resolve this issue? (Yes I know it has to be special glue / silicone - working on this).

Awaiting constructive prosecution 😁☠

Attachments

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
just gonna keep recommending G. rosea until they make a come back - beginner OW? Ceratogryus genus, what i started with, i think they’re like the perfect beginner OW outside of M. balfouri as well

i don’t understand the point of the anti-climbing thing (respectfully) - why prevent the spider from doing spider things 🤔

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Maybe I’m just a little tipsy and missed it entirely, but what the heck did you get?

Bloodrazor

Arachnopeon
just gonna keep recommending G. rosea until they make a come back - beginner OW? Ceratogryus genus, what i started with, i think they’re like the perfect beginner OW outside of M. balfouri as well

i don’t understand the point of the anti-climbing thing (respectfully) - why prevent the spider from doing spider things 🤔
Hi @YungRasputin thanks for your comment. We will probably add one or two more spiders - due to area initially reserved being bigger even for when T would grow up.

Obstacle is meant to stop it from climbing up too high and hurting itself. There is good few more cm up from the substrate - that's my mistake. At the same time I don't want to handle it for now unnecessarily.

@Craig73 it's a chaco, golden knee: NW, terrestrial.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I would keep it in that deli cup or something not much larger or else it will disappear underground due to feeling insecure. The deli cup its in in the photo is perfectly suitable

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all,

Sorry for late catch-up. I raised discussion with my family again and attached is our new family member - Milo (just for giggles cause everyone thinks it's a dog, and I think this actually might be a she?).

This is obviously not what I was aiming for and consulting few times with the local reptile shop I figured - hey, you gotta start somewhere and not just run your mouth.

I am going to be hanged for the height of the substrate but I was actually pretty nervous getting it to feel remotely comfortable as our T did not wanted to move much for first evening and entire next day.
We obviously did not touched it, bothered it, nor even tried to feed. MIlo (chaco, golden knee species) arrived home on Thursday afternoon and we are letting it to at least get somewhat comfortable with it's new surrounding.

We observed only whether and how it's reacting to it's new environment and reason why it was stressful for me at least was because T would appear...just neutral really, like it didn't cared or was completely mortified.
Ambient temperature ranges from around solid 20 to 24 which I believe is about right. I took the heat mat (made in UK) but we are actually not using it.

Substrate is a mix of coconut fiber and some sort of ground. There is 5 - 6 cm of substrate in the container and I know I am risking it falling - something I'm planning to address ASAP.

We have planned to feed it with level 1 crickets on Sunday. There is also tiny sea shell with flat surface of maybe 2-3mm of water and diameter of about maybe 3 cm. Water appears to remain somewhat inside that shell for good number of hours which to me indicates heat levels are ok and hopefully moisture too.

T finally decided to hide inside the wooden bark few hours ago what made me relax a little.

To resolve level of substrate and height of the container I think of gluing "anti-climb" obstacle around walls of the container from flexible tubing leftovers from a PC project (tubing purchased in a pet store - around 1cm diameter). While I managed to forget and address that from the start I don't want to perform any unnecessarily invasive operations for some time and hope the anti-climb idea to resolve this issue? (Yes I know it has to be special glue / silicone - working on this).

Awaiting constructive prosecution 😁☠
They get to a good size when adult.
20211105_232924.jpg

Bloodrazor

Arachnopeon
I would keep it in that deli cup or something not much larger or else it will disappear underground due to feeling insecure. The deli cup its in in the photo is perfectly suitable
I think this might be actually a better idea...although I thought that plastic cup would've been too small for T. I am absolutely in love with it, the way T moves is absolutely hilarious...
I don't know if it was "stretching" but before yesterday it was walking by waving it's legs above it's own torso before placing them on the ground - this looked extremely funny although made me think if it maybe meant something...

Milo arrived on Thursday and we tried to feed him on Sunday afternoon. Funny enough oblivious cricket walked twice underneath T even bumping into his legs (T didn't even flinched) - that's when we realized there wasn't going to be a show. He appears hidden under his wood bark now but I think this small plastic container might actually be overwhelming for him.

To comment on a photo - he walked down safely without knocking on the container or anything - just waved with my fingers made T change it's directions.

I was reading a little about Tarantulas and red light. Very interesting - we are in the process of designing a "safety cage" for the upcoming family - there is definatelly going to be a 3-4 altogether (some day....).
Will upload some details ones and if I'll finish designing it (we like tech stuff).

Merry Christmas all!

I think Milo finally had his first meal and also he is back in the cup. It took him awhile for some reason but cannot find the trace of the cricket anywhere.

As mentioned earlier - looking for some feedback on further development and my learning experience.
I have initial design - sorry my 3d design skills is pure 💩 I know just for visual input.
3d Preview

This is meant to be additional safety cage to help protect both child from the spider and spider from the child.
Dimensions planned:
W: 70cm (27.5in), H: 70cm (27.5in), D:40cm (15.5in)
Idea will be to make 4 railed slots which would be modular or interchangeable. Rails would be supported by some brackets - working on this idea but I have ordered to test out with the below product:
bazos store

This way I could choose what size of container for tarantula I will have inside (custom build too) - since I have already one that is terrestrial I'm hoping to squeeze inside another terrestrial maybe and arboreal or semi-arboreal (in the future).

While ventilation is marked with the brass / copper plates at top center and bottom center, strange bars inside are for lights:
bazos store 2

Rails would allow me to slide them in / out if work is needed to be done.
Very interested to hear your thoughts and comments because I'm not sure if W: 30cm x H: 30cm x D: 35 would be enough for an adult spider? I guess not...

Hi all,

Happy new year! Today I was looking inside Milo's cup and notice these strange dots / mercury looking like tiny drops on his joints - probably noob question but prefer to ask - something concerning?

Cage project coming along will share raw (unpainted) finish soon.

Attachments