Not drinking

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My avic avic(believed to be in premolt) hasnt left her web since I brought her home Sunday.
I realize it is normal for a "T" to stop feeding during this period but to stop drinking goes against everthing I have read here.
Her water dish level has not decreased and I am unable to find a thread discussing this.
Appx 6 months old 2.5 inches.
If I put the dish closer(faily small incloser) will that stress here and cause bigger problems.
Thanks yet again

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never seen any of my G. roseas drink out of their water dish. Unless you have video surveillance on the tank or spend all day and night non-stop watching her, I wouldn't go say she's not drinking.

Going by the water dish level isn't really a sign that they've been drinking. Water will be lost through evaporation, and other ways. They know what they're doing. Just keep that dish full of fresh water every few days. I refill/refresh mine every 2-3 days. And things should be fine.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard that many avics will never drink from a water dish; you have to mist the tank sometimes so they can drink the water off the walls or web or whatever.

I have never seen any of my G. roseas drink out of their water dish.
You can't really compare a rosea and an avic; the former is from an insanely dry region and hates damp soil of any kind, the latter is an extremely humidity-sensitive rainforest type. :) However, I own a rosie and I've only seen it drink maybe twice. I even got pics!

Lookit that silly fat butt. :D

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My avic avic(believed to be in premolt) hasnt left her web since I brought her home Sunday.
I realize it is normal for a "T" to stop feeding during this period but to stop drinking goes against everthing I have read here.
Her water dish level has not decreased and I am unable to find a thread discussing this.
Appx 6 months old 2.5 inches.
If I put the dish closer(faily small incloser) will that stress here and cause bigger problems.
Thanks yet again
Hi!

I have alot of t's and I almost never see them drink.
just make sure to keep your humidity level at about 80% and spray the web once a week or so, and keep the water dish in the tank anyway but leave it where it is, don't bother your spider when she's in premolt.

Last thing, stop worrying about your t soo much:D (you will make yourself more stressed than you t;) ) what's happening right now seem perfectly normal to me, A.avic are real easy to keep just be patient.

Take care!

Alain

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i agree with the misting + water dish.

While it may not actually be drinking from the water dish (and who knows for sure if it is or ir isn't), the water dish will aid in the humidity this species needs. I find that misting alone evaporates too quickly which is why i keep the dish in there. But i do advise to lightly mist the web and a surrounding wall of the tank, as it can get drinking water this way. all the best, sound like it's pre-molt!

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't be too worried. My avic sits in her web all day, happy as can be. I did have an avic once though, an old male who like to wander a lot, and he would drink the water off the sides of the tank, where I misted. You could try misting one side of the tank once or twice a week if you're worried.