Northwest Indiana members please help!

kearra

Arachnopeon
I'm currently looking at buying my first tarantula but I know there are only certain species I can have. I live in porter county of northwestern Indiana and would like to know what species of tarantula's are legal here and if I need a permit for having one. Also are there any websites where I could look up what types of tarantula's are legal in my area? Thank you

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Most tarantulas are legal everywhere in the States bud. Just relax. Make sure you know everything there is to know about tarantulas before you buy one. I would recommend Grammostola pulchripes. Docile, beautiful, huge, and they attack food with a thirst for blood.

Last edited:

kearra

Arachnopeon
Most tarantulas are legal everywhere in the States bud. Just relax. Make sure you know everything there is to know about tarantulas before you buy one. I would recommend Grammostola pulchripes. Docile, beautiful, huge, and they attack food with a thirst for blood.
Well that's nice to know. My mom used to have Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula and she was telling me about how that was one of the only tarantulas she could own where we live but I guess she was wrong. Thanks for letting me know! I've been looking at that tarantula along with the eupalaestrus campestratus and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Well that's nice to know. My mom used to have Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula and she was telling me about how that was one of the only tarantulas she could own where we live but I guess she was wrong. Thanks for letting me know! I've been looking at that tarantula along with the eupalaestrus campestratus and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.
Those are great species to start with! Love the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (GBB), great colors and easy care and lots of webbing! May want to look at Grammostola pulchripes too, great species that gets huge and is pretty common :D You came to the right place, glad to you here!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Well keep in mind that the Greenbottle is fast and a real hair flicker

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm currently looking at buying my first tarantula but I know there are only certain breeds I can have. I live in porter county of northwestern Indiana and would like to know what breeds of tarantula's are legal here and if I need a permit for having one. Also are there any websites where I could look up what types of tarantula's are legal in my area? Thank you
Most tarantulas are legal everywhere in the States bud. Just relax.
That's not entirely true. There are a lot of places that have laws against venomous animals in the US (mostly towns). Will they hunt you down if you have one in the town/county/etc.? No, not likely. Could you get in trouble if your T gets out and bites someone? Maybe.

It's not hard to look up your local laws and see what they say. Then it's up to you if you want to keep Ts. Likely no one will care... unless something happens.

We had a snake guy in NC get a lot of heat after he got bit and they discovered he had several species of snakes that were outlawed in that town/area.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm currently looking at buying my first tarantula but I know there are only certain breeds I can have. I live in porter county of northwestern Indiana and would like to know what breeds of tarantula's are legal here and if I need a permit for having one. Also are there any websites where I could look up what types of tarantula's are legal in my area? Thank you
:banghead:
Dogs have breeds. Cats have breeds. Hell, horses have breeds. Breeds come about by humans intentionally breeding(!) for desired traits. Tarantulas have no breeds, they have species. They are literally different animals. You wouldn't call a tiger and a lion breeds - you'd call them species. Sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine... and many in the hobby.

kearra

Arachnopeon
Those are great species to start with! Love the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (GBB), great colors and easy care and lots of webbing! May want to look at Grammostola pulchripes too, great species that gets huge and is pretty common :D You came to the right place, glad to you here!
The GBB's color is one of the reasons i fell into love with it and once I saw that it was a pretty easy tarantula to start out with I wanted it so bad. I've heard that they can be quite skittish so I've been looking at others that are beginner tarantula's as well. Including the grammostola pulchripes and pink zebra beauty.

kearra

Arachnopeon
:banghead:
Dogs have breeds. Cats have breeds. Hell, horses have breeds. Breeds come about by humans intentionally breeding(!) for desired traits. Tarantulas have no breeds, they have species. They are literally different animals. You wouldn't call a tiger and a lion breeds - you'd call them species. Sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine... and many in the hobby.
Oops I didn't even realized I typed breeds instead of species. I meant to put species. Sorry

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well keep in mind that the Greenbottle is fast and a real hair flicker
Not all Gbb are flickers and all tarantulas are extremely fast if they want to be including your typical tolerant giants.
I've had my adult female Gbb coming up for 4 years and she's never bolted,flicked or threat posed she's one seriously chilled out lady I even leave the enclosure lid off as I work with her

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
The town I live in has a bylaw against T's and scorpions. I'm just careful who I tell

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Not all Gbb are flickers and all tarantulas are extremely fast if they want to be including your typical tolerant giants.
I've had my adult female Gbb coming up for 4 years and she's never bolted,flicked or threat posed she's one seriously chilled out lady I even leave the enclosure lid off as I work with her
I mean in general, boyo.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've been looking at that tarantula [G. pulchripes] along with the eupalaestrus campestratus
The E. campetratus is just a smaller G. pulchripes. They look almost exactly the same. And fun fact, the E. campestratus is apparently the species Buzz had in Home Alone.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I live close to you in indiana. well, right by ft wayne. I dont know of any illegal tarantulas in IN. I have a bunch, so I should remain ignorant :)

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I have never read anything about laws against owning tarantulas here in Indiana. If you are looking to pick something up, you could try going to the NARBC at Tinley Park in the suburbs of Chicago in a few weekends. There are usually a few people that bring a wide variety of cool tarantulas for sale.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't know a thing about laws, I think there used to be an expo in Richmond that had vendors that sold tarantulas. I don't live in Indiana anymore, but it's good to see there are more hobbiests from Hoosier country.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Eupalaestrus campestratus, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, and Grammostola pulchripes are all three good choices with regard to husbandry. The Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) is slightly more skittish, but works great if you have a slightly oversized container. Eupalaestrus campestratus is generally only available in smaller slings and they don't grow fast so you will need some patience for growth if you get this T. You should compare the adult size of the G. pulchripes with the others. It gets a little larger, but they are very docile.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The bylaws are stupid considering Black widows and Brown Recluse aren't going to pack up and relocate to stay legal. I'd rather get bit by a NW tarantula anyday and would need to think about whether I would rather get bit by an OW tarantula before getting bit by either one of them.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
I also live in Fort Wayne and have never heard of any indiana laws concerning Ts. And i definitely second the G. pulchripes suggestion!

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Grab the GBB. Yes they are skittish, just use a larger enclosure if you are nervous as others have stated.

For your next 3 tarantulas you are going to want are:
•B.vagans
•A.genic
•G.pulchripes.

I mention these spiders because you will develop an addiction.

Good Luck!