Northern Indiana / Southern Michigan folks

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will be visiting the In-Laws this weekend (South Bend) and will be going out to a place called Fernwood (a nature preserve) to hunt around...(and yes, I already have their permission to collect;)
My question.... Have any of you had luck finding Argiope and Latrodectus there?
I am fairly certain that they do exist in this region but am not well versed on the native fauna.
Any help would be much appreciated!

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
well yes they are, I have variolus around here and they are found as far north as Grand Rapids. I have personally found variolus under trailer homes .
At this time of year you mught also find some argiope and maybe even some pursewebs.
Good luck

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well yes they are, I have variolus around here and they are found as far north as Grand Rapids. I have personally found variolus under trailer homes .
At this time of year you mught also find some argiope and maybe even some pursewebs.
Good luck
Thanks John! I totally forgot that you were from Michigan otherwise I would have just PM'd you;) I am hoping to at least find a few goodies! The place I am going stated that their ecologist had never encountered L. variolus but I doubt if he/she is well versed on the native spider fauna to begin with since their primary focus is on Butterflies.
They are allowing me to collect 5 specimens which I am grateful for but find it humorous that this is a number that they have determined would have the least amount of impact on their facility.
The good news....I can collect as many Japanese Beetles as I want! Nothing like offering up an invasive pest species as a consulation prize;)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
your welcome man
I will be out of town until next Friday so if you are still around I will take you on a spider hunt you will enjoy. That is if you don't mind the mosquitos:)
Many kinds of spiders.
At least two species of argiope and two color varieties of aurantiaca[spelling]
Many different orb spiders and if your lucky we will collect some widows heh heh

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
your welcome man
I will be out of town until next Friday so if you are still around I will take you on a spider hunt you will enjoy. That is if you don't mind the mosquitos:)
Many kinds of spiders.
At least two species of argiope and two color varieties of aurantiaca[spelling]
Many different orb spiders and if your lucky we will collect some widows heh heh
We are just going to miss you! We leave to come back on Wednesday. We will have to plan something the next time we are out that way.
If I come-up empty, I might solicit you for some when you go out again;)
I do have an upcoming event at a local museum out here and would love to have a few Argiopes on hand. They are always a crowd pleaser in a place where you don't see them very often.
(Let me know what your fees are;)
Thanks again John!