Northern Arizona during the monsoon season

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is one of my favorite times of year in Arizona. These pictures were taken at over 7000 feet.

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma behlei and Vaejovis paysoninsis habitat. Behlei likes it the meadows found around 7500 feet. Paysoninsis is found closer to the trees. I've collected both species in this area.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do the rains bring out the vinegaroons?
I want one so bad!

---------- Post added 07-25-2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

Awesome pics

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Interesting color on the 2nd polymorpha...do you see that often?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice pics John! Looks like a nice place to find wildlife. The second pic from todays post, looks like a Heterothele :) (just kidding). And whats up with the baby octopus?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only thing i wouldnt like about an area like that is the forests are dominated by evergreens, and the dirt isnt anything like dirt lol. Yeah she does!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool pics! That's a beautiful little Aphonopelma.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
great looking behlei you found john. I really miss that species. I had a really good spot for them right along the rim near payson. very common in that area. How bi was this individual? This is a species I would love to have again.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
great looking behlei you found john. I really miss that species. I had a really good spot for them right along the rim near payson. very common in that area. How bi was this individual? This is a species I would love to have again.
I like A behlei a lot as well. I think they are the most aggressive(I mean aggressive, they'll chase you) species I've ever kept and I've had plenty of OW. Most OW will run away first or only get mad when you dig them out. This little girl sits on top of the cork I gave her to hide under and rears up and tries to chase me out every time I open the lid. I don't even have to poke her or anything. They are slow-motion OBTs.

This girl is about 3 inches. She was collected about 10 miles North of Flagstaff. I've heard that they come in two sizes. The rim spiders are a lot larger. The Flagstaff version being much smaller. I'm trying to get enough of them to start breeding them. I've never seen truly captive bred behlei available. I have two from the Stoneman Lake area along with this girl. I'm hoping they are both the smaller version. Stoneman Lake's kind of an awkward spot. I'm not sure if it is rim country or high country.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I get to start my breeding project earlier than I thought. This little guy surprised me this evening. By little I mean he could easily fit on a quarter. He had no adult coloration at all and now he's this, too bad he'll probably come to a bad end. I'll try breeding him with the female in this thread. She as twice his mass. I also have another girl that I think is on pre-molt. She should be bigger than the first one.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I guess I get to start my breeding project earlier than I thought. This little guy surprised me this evening. By little I mean he could easily fit on a quarter. He had no adult coloration at all and now he's this, too bad he'll probably come to a bad end. I'll try breeding him with the female in this thread. She as twice his mass. I also have another girl that I think is on pre-molt. She should be bigger than the first one.
Dang.. it's like that male matured during year one O_O