north carolina trip and critters i brought home

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is the first part of the post for my adventure....pics 1 and 5 i think are a hogna lenta...always hungry and about 3 inches...really cool....beetles are about 2 inches....i think they are all female but cant tell....i also think they are bess beetles, or odontotaenius disjunctus.....skink i think is a 5 lined....and also...might be the spawn of lightning....very fast...look for next post.....north carolina 2

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Whoa!!!!! :worship::worship::worship: RESPECT :worship::worship::worship:

... for catching that 5-lined Skink! Those are indeed fast as lightning, LOL! I love the Skinks, they are very very cool to watch (IF they let you watch, lol).

The Wolf.... will leave that for more experienced members to comment on... :)

The Bess Beetles are awesome-I don't remember seeing these... :confused:

You found a lot of great things on your NC trip! :clap: When will you visit there again? :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! :)

S.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool finds! You can do scale count on the head with the skink to determine weather it's a five-lined or Broadhead. Five-lined have 4 labial scales and the Broadhead has 5, the Broadhead also has two postlabials but not the Five-lined according to a book I have. Maybe you can google some of that stuff and find a diagram.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah he was under a rock in sand..only had his head pokin out of a hole.....i could tell where his body was, and grabbed for that area and got him....i really doubt he will let me see him....i had to rearrange his home yesterday to see him....im not positive, but i kinda remember catching these bess beetles here in ohio as a kid....maybe.....actually im goin next year to NC for a whole week....so ill be able to find alot better selection.....this time it was 2 days and in fall so everything was wintering.....im not sure what time of year im goin yet, but will probably be maybe september, or sometime warmer....and i wont be as grab happy as i was this time.....i was grabbing every bug i seen.....ended up letting some small beetles go.....haha...

Whoa!!!!! :worship::worship::worship: RESPECT :worship::worship::worship:

... for catching that 5-lined Skink! Those are indeed fast as lightning, LOL! I love the Skinks, they are very very cool to watch (IF they let you watch, lol).

The Wolf.... will leave that for more experienced members to comment on... :)

The Bess Beetles are awesome-I don't remember seeing these... :confused:

You found a lot of great things on your NC trip! :clap: When will you visit there again? :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! :)

S.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i have read about that....i thought about doing that, but just havent got around to doing it yet....so far i have just went off of pictures....i know he likes to bite...haha...

Cool finds! You can do scale count on the head with the skink to determine weather it's a five-lined or Broadhead. Five-lined have 4 labial scales and the Broadhead has 5, the Broadhead also has two postlabials but not the Five-lined according to a book I have. Maybe you can google some of that stuff and find a diagram.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had a Broadhead that was real bitey too, it would clamp on on and shake like mad dog. Don't know what it's problem was, ...oh yeah, it was a skink:razz:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice finds!

I'm gonna go on a hunt of my own, the target being a southern alligator lizard. I've been wanting to keep these guys badly again. Voracious eaters with a nasty bite :D

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah those wild lizards just dont understand how small and pathetic their bite is:D

I had a Broadhead that was real bitey too, it would clamp on on and shake like mad dog. Don't know what it's problem was, ...oh yeah, it was a skink:razz:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks...thats cool..good luck...nasty bite makes it sound interesting enough

Nice finds!

I'm gonna go on a hunt of my own, the target being a southern alligator lizard. I've been wanting to keep these guys badly again. Voracious eaters with a nasty bite :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice finds!

Alligator lizards are NICE lizards, Texas alligator lizard is my second fav native lizard after the Gila ...never had a Gila but I know they're cool lol.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alligator lizards are NICE lizards, Texas alligator lizard is my second fav native lizard after the Gila ...never had a Gila but I know they're cool lol.
I'm gonna have to agree with you, Todd. They're very nice lizards and need more exposure to the hobby! I was looking up lizards for sale the other day and couldn't believe someone was selling a "Texas alligator lizard" for over two hundred bucks! Is that normal? I don't know if they're a different type of lizard than I think they are, but I thought they looked like the typical southern alligator lizard. What makes them so expensive? There were sold as Gerrhonotus l. infernalis