Normal?

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
My G. Pulchripes sling seems to have barricaded himself in his hide by pulling dirt over the entrance? I know they burrow but is this common?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Yup, look at the closed off entrance as a "do not disturb" sign. Be warned it could stay under ground for a couple weeks, just don't freak out and go digging for it. It will come out in a while and be much bigger! They're very sensitive at this time, so just remember to leave it alone. All it needs right now is a full water dish.

Also you will be tempted to feed it when it emerges from its den. It's important that you wait until it's fangs are hardened. The fang will be black when ready to feed. Just don't feed while the fangs are white or red or a fang could be damaged.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Yup, look at the closed off entrance as a "do not disturb" sign. Be warned it could stay under ground for a couple weeks, just don't freak out and go digging for it. It will come out in a while and be much bigger! They're very sensitive at this time, so just remember to leave it alone. All it needs right now is a full water dish.

Also you will be tempted to feed it when it emerges from its den. It's important that you wait until it's fangs are hardened. The fang will be black when ready to feed. Just don't feed while the fangs are white or red or a fang could be damaged.
Thanks so much for the advice! He popped his head out for a few minutes today.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
He's been buried for about 3 weeks now. I can see him in his burrow through the bottom of the enclosure. He's upside down which I'm assuming is just him finishing his molt. I don't thinks he's come up for water unless he's doing it at night. Is there any point when I should be concerned?

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
He's been buried for about 3 weeks now. I can see him in his burrow through the bottom of the enclosure. He's upside down which I'm assuming is just him finishing his molt. I don't thinks he's come up for water unless he's doing it at night. Is there any point when I should be concerned?
Not yet. He's fine. There's bound to be some moisture in there with him. ;) I know it is kinda nerve racking, but leaving him alone is the best possible care.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Your T is just being a T, no need to worry....aka Everything is OK in the corral, no need to send in the sherriff or erect your sling's tombstone just yet ;). (forgive the levity, I just love your user name!)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
At least you don't have to go through this for a long while ;) That growth speed though. Hopefully it all goes well, one of my fav T's

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Your T is just being a T, no need to worry....aka Everything is OK in the corral, no need to send in the sherriff or erect your sling's tombstone just yet ;). (forgive the levity, I just love your user name!)
Thanks so much! I feel much better.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
My G. Pulchripes sling seems to have barricaded himself in his hide by pulling dirt over the entrance? I know they burrow but is this common?

Yes, they want to be left alone for molting reasons or rest reasons.

He'll come out when ready do not introduce any live food until he voluntarily comes out

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Yes, they want to be left alone for molting reasons or rest reasons.

He'll come out when ready do not introduce any live food until he voluntarily comes out
He's buried deep so I haven't introduced any food at all. Just keeping his water topped off and putting a few small drops on top of the substrate.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
After almost 5 weeks my little G. Pulchripes finally dug himself out ! I havent seen him yet but my wife told me he doubles in size and looks more like a mini adult then a little brown sling. Thanks everyone for making me worry less! I post pics tonight or tomorrow.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My first pulchripes sling (1/4") closed up it's retreat and stayed hidden underground for 2 months. Came out freshly molted and hungry.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
I haven't even gotten to see him yet. He came out while I was at work and had been back underground since!

kooky

Arachnosquire
my g.pulchripes sling buried itself over a month ago. It moulted, i found it resting outside the hole. That same day it reburied itself and moulted again a few weeks later, the moult was at the top of the hole, but no t. It has since re-covered the entrance to its hole and remained there. Frankly if it moults for a third time in a row ill be shocked. It last ate over a month ago and moulted twice in that time. Its had a total of 3 crickets in my care before it went into this crazy multiple moults phase.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
My wolf spider did the same thing and she just ended up molting. I think she was burrowed in for like 4-5 days then came out with it's molt. My Chaco never did it when she was a sling though.