Normal Tokay Geckos with very nice colors.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen several very nicely colored normal (no morphs) of tokay geckos and was wondering if anyone knew of someone breeding or perhaps were breeding geckos such as these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQmaUTrcBA

I find these geckos more attractive than the expensive morphs out there these days.

I'm looking for tokays with nice blue colors and high contrast spots.

The one in the video is a nice baby blue with orange spots and good contrast.

Does anyone know what locality of tokay produces these? I've read that those from malaysia differ than those of indonesia.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its nice to see another (non-morph) tokay enthusiast out there. They are one of my all around favorite animals due to their natural colors and "personality." Unfortunately not that many are captive bred due to the over abundance of super cheap imports. If you can find any CB they are worth the investment as they have no parasites and are not ematiated from capture and shipment. The only CB tokays I've seen around in a while were from The Rep Room. I myself have two males and am really in need of females so I can start breeding on my own. There is some information to suggest at least two subspecies. What were you reading that mentioned this? I'm curious :).

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a good breeder I know from another forum, she breeds other geckos as well but has really focused on Tokays over the years. She's very reputable and has high quality animals.
http://www.spottedscales.com/
Nice, these are the kind of people I'm looking for.

I would like to get some nice normals and breed but not selectively breed. I'll just breed them and try to keep them as beautiful as the original wild geckos.

---------- Post added 08-21-2015 at 05:03 AM ----------

I've seen around 30 WC tokays from petstores the past couple of weeks. All look though I thought two would have a nice blue base and high contrast spots so I took a gamble on them. One was kind of thin and the other seemed normal weight. The thinner one had a nice light blue base and orange spots thought she hasn't eaten in the 5 days I've had her. Not too concerned since the other one took a whole week before I saw it eat for the first time.

The second one had a blue body but with a greyish tone. I thought perhaps it was stressed and took it home in the hopes that in a relaxed mood color would improve. It hasn't in about a week so I may have to part with this one.

I'm not really concerned with parasite load on wild caught geckos since all have managed to gain weight easily once they settled in enough to eat regularly.

My only problem with wild caught is they stress more easily, just by your presence near the cage at times and in my opinion the wild caught are less inclined to want to breed in captivity than are CB geckos who don't stress as easily.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I posted this a few years ago and still haven't kept any of those nice baby blue colored wild caught tokay I saw in pet stores as a kid.

If anyone knows someone breeding normal types let me know.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Bump.

Still looking.
Males are more brightly coloured than females. Also it depends how the Tokay is displaying. My male Zeus is usually dull in the mornings and then really brightens up later in the day.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I've seen several very nicely colored normal (no morphs) of tokay geckos and was wondering if anyone knew of someone breeding or perhaps were breeding geckos such as these.

I find these geckos more attractive than the expensive morphs out there these days.

I'm looking for tokays with nice blue colors and high contrast spots.

The one in the video is a nice baby blue with orange spots and good contrast.

Does anyone know what locality of tokay produces these? I've read that those from malaysia differ than those of indonesia.
Didn't watch the whole video but the first two are not your "normal" everyday tokay they are high reds no clue if it's genetic or line bred. Both exist.. Could even be a locality thing. Depending on the region they are collected from they can look rather different from others collected elsewhere.

I will have very nice CB Tokays next year my male is almost ready.. He has a very blue base vivid reds and muted orange spots.. His base is so blue you can't see the blue spots.. No white spots at all.

My female is a light slate grey with extremely intense orange and red spots on her dorsal and intense orange banding on the tail.. no white spots on her either..

These aren't being imported anymore into the USA and not many of us breed them so pin this thread if you seriously want some nice Neos in the future..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Males are more brightly coloured than females. Also it depends how the Tokay is displaying. My male Zeus is usually dull in the mornings and then really brightens up later in the day.
Everyone says that the females are duller but IME it isn't really true.. Maybe a slightly duller base but IMO it makes the spots really pop.. So to me it's really a negligible difference if any at all..

I love the morning coloration of Tokays. They get so dark with all those spots absolutely incredible IMO..

basin79

ArachnoGod
Everyone says that the females are duller but IME it isn't really true.. Maybe a slightly duller base but IMO it makes the spots really pop.. So to me it's really a negligible difference if any at all..

I love the morning coloration of Tokays. They get so dark with all those spots absolutely incredible IMO..
You've just disagreed with the statement then agreed with it straight after. Whilst females are striking it's the males that are the more vivid. Plus you get the massive head with a male and that glorious call.

I much prefer the evening colouration myself but yes, even in the morning looking dull they're still gorgeous lizards.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You've just disagreed with the statement then agreed with it straight after. Whilst females are striking it's the males that are the more vivid. Plus you get the massive head with a male and that glorious call.

I much prefer the evening colouration myself but yes, even in the morning looking dull they're still gorgeous lizards.
Haha no I'm saying IF any difference it's slight..

When I get a few minutes I'll snap some pics of my gecks and PM them to you and see if you can figure out who's who based on color Lol..

basin79

ArachnoGod

When I get a few minutes I'll snap some pics of my gecks and PM them to you and see if you can figure out who's who based on color Lol..
For me males are the more striking. But it's the massive head they get and the calls I prefer. I'd sooner have a male even if they looked duller for those 2 reasons.

basin79

ArachnoGod

Well I wouldn't as they can change their colours. If you put a male at his best next to a female the male would be brighter.

I'm not typing males are rainbows and females are black and white.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Found a screen shot of Zeus in his dark mode. Still bonny lizards.

But in his normal colour scheme he's incredible.

Last edited:

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have read somewhere over the years that these bluish ones are from a locality, maybe Indonesia that doesn't export anymore while these greyish ones are from Malaysia which still does. I am not sure if the countries are correct but the situation is it.