normal eating habits of a chili rose

culo

Arachnopeon
i fed my rose 5 crickets 3 days ago at night and by the morning there wasn't anymore left, yesterday i put 6 in there and it killed them all and wrapped them in web :confused:, ive only had it for about a week so i don't know :wall:

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a quick search will yield more information than you can imagine on this topic.

when I kept G. rosea I would offer 1 to 2 crickets every 2 to 3 weeks and they kept more than adequate weight on them. smaller animals were offered 1 cricket every 10 to 14 days and they maintained weight and grew well. and they're also from Chile.

since you've only recently joined the hobby investing in a few of the better books on tarantulas is a great place to start building knowledge. in addition the search function on arachnoboards will also be of great use, between the books and arachnoboards you should be able to find an answer to any question you have, and probably before you have it. good luck.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're overfeeding for sure. You should do 1 or 2 a week.
Cool fact: Tarantulas can go about 2 years without eating.
That's not saying you should only feed them a cricket every 2 years. I'm just telling you that you're overdoing it.

culo

Arachnopeon
can i feed it a really small mouse it's only about 3 inches wide :evil:

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You, sir...Need to research this site for sure.
No...No mice...

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
can i feed it a really small mouse it's only about 3 inches wide :evil:
well if you want to risk killing it yes.
1. mice can fight back teeth,claws, and struggle in general.
2. the excess calcium can kill the T next molt

so i would not do that. just give dubia roaches crickets or meal worms

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm surprised noone else mentioned it - but the spider is not a "Chili Rose". It's a Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula. From Chile (the country) not chili (the spice).

Lisa Gayle 713

Arachnopeon
Actually,

Not to be a jerk, Bill S, but spiders don't have hair. They have setae. The TKG says so! ;P;)

I think the TKG calls them "Chilean Rose Tarantulas". I could be wrong, but I think I got it right.

And, yes, I consider the Tarantula Keepers Guide the "Bible" for the hobby. :p

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Honestly, it's had enough crickets for the MONTH.
If I were you, I would wait till the first of October to feed it again. It's really cool to watch them eat, but you DONT want to over feed. She probobly killed the last 6 because they were an annoyance, I wouldnt doubt if you look in there and there's still a cricket mush ball somewhere.

Invest in some 6" tongs (Can be found at your local pet store (LPS) And feed her that way, Or toss the crickets in there and watch them find their way to her. Your choice.

If you continue to feed it the way you do, It may Do what some g.Rosea's have done and Not eat for quite some time, and that wouldnt be fun now would it?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're overfeeding for sure. You should do 1 or 2 a week.
Cool fact: Tarantulas can go about 2 years without eating.
That's not saying you should only feed them a cricket every 2 years. I'm just telling you that you're overdoing it.

Depending on the sp :).

I would bet my collection a Theraphosa blondi wont survive many months with only water.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to be a jerk, Bill S, but spiders don't have hair. They have setae. The TKG says so! ;P;)
Tarantulas don't look like baboons either, but that doesn't stop people from naming them baboon spiders. And it doesn't mean that people mistake them for baboons. It means they remind people of baboons, in much the same way that setae remind people of hairs.

I'm fully aware that tarantulas do not have hair in the sense of mammal hair - but there's no reason to assume that all structures referred to as "hair" need to fit the definition of mammal hair. Setae grow differently than mammal hair, but fit some definitions of hair. If someone wants to think of a tarantula as "hairy" - that doesn't threaten my understanding of the world or my understanding of mammal hair vs setae. I'm willing to accept the terminology.

TKG is an excellent reference. I have a copy on my shelf. I've had the pleasure of meeting one of the authors and spending time in the field with him. He is a great person and an important contributor to the hobby (and presumably his wife is also) . But... he is not a scientist. He's a hobbyist. He doesn't pretend that his book is a scientific reference work. He doesn't claim that his book is the official register of scientific and common names.

So... Chilean Rose-haired tarantula is the common name of the animal as far as I know. If you have a true reference that indicates otherwise, feel free to post it.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A quick follow-up to my previous post - regarding the use of the word "hair" pertaining to tarantulas:

From The American Heritage Dictionary: Hair ...(2) Any similar filamentous projection or bristle, such as the setae of an arthropod or an epidermal process of a plant.

In the above definition the "similar" refers to mammal hairs "and such filaments".

I'm not trying to beat up on the poster who argued that tarantulas don't have hairs. That argument comes up a lot. It's a well intentioned but narrow minded approach, generally from people who want to show that they know there's a difference between setae and mammal hair. I do appreciate that people learn the difference and try to pass that knowledge on to others. But don't abandon the larger meaning of the word just to show you know the details.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in my experience with rosea (which okay, was only four but...) they feast or famine. you will go through a period where your rosea might eat everything you give to it, but that doesn't mean that it was okay to feed it that often. at some point overfeeding will lead to them just killing the prey and without eating it, or ignoring it.

it will eventually go off of feeding if you feed often, but as long as the abdomen is okay, you are probably fine.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
A good regimen would to feed it 3 adult crickets once a week. Or one adult roach. That will be just fine and it will satisfy your need to watch it feast. :p

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I think the TKG calls them "Chilean Rose Tarantulas". I could be wrong, but I think I got it right.

And, yes, I consider the Tarantula Keepers Guide the "Bible" for the hobby. :p
If you correcting that much, than TKG writes wrong. Its not a tarantula, it is bird spider. Tarantulas are species of wolf spiders from southern Italy. ;)

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Please pee pull!

:barf: :barf: This small nit picking is what makes this site make me want to.. :barf: :rolleyes: Please. What if you call it an abdomen? NO NO its a opisothosoma. :rolleyes: {D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you correcting that much, than TKG writes wrong. Its not a tarantula, it is bird spider. Tarantulas are species of wolf spiders from southern Italy. ;)
That is not correct.

They are Theraphosids. The only Tarantula is Lycosa tarantula, and they are in Spain too.

The name was put in Tarento, and it was also used in the dance "tarantella".