Noob!

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can search for threads on handling if you like, but, in general, free-handling is a good method. Sit on the floor, or at least near to the floor, and reach into the container gently, slowly bringing your hand to right near the T, coax the T from behind with a finger or little brush, and the T, if not too nervous, will begin to walk onto your hand. You can then allow the T to continue walking, from hand to hand, being careful to not let the T wander to the edge of your hand, or a fatal fall can result. I usually let a handling session last around 5 to 10 minutes, before replacing the T to its home, by gently allowing the T to walk off your hand back onto the substrate.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ahhh! I forgot to add, do G. rosea dig? how much substrate do I use~!?

<3

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

<3
They are more opportunistic and will actually prefer a hide rather then dig, just fill whatever your getting to about half way.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I think can answer the last question. I put my slings when they were .75 and .5 in a sugar container I got at a restrant supply house... it had a lid with pin prick holes in it. But because it was taller I asked for advice here nad ended up putting about 2" of dirt in ... leaving 1" to the top.

Because my very first one hid in a hole (and scared the heck out of me) in the little deli cup it came in - I think with coconut substraight... I started little holes on the sides of the container. Both burrowed. One makeing a very elaberate burrow.

Now they are larger and in larger containers. both started a burrow but didn't continue it. I think they feel safer now.

So ..in answer to your question is maybe. :p

I've been keeping T's a year so I still concider myself new. Answers that I have been told have been 1 to 1.5 x the leg length to the top of the cage - a little more with slings is ok.

So if you have a 2" spider you would want 2" to 3" of space between the "ground" and the top of the cage. (to minimise damage if it climbs and falls)

The depth at that point would depend on the type of container you have it in.

- Sharon

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Babies of most species will dig a little. But any terrestrial T of any size, the rule of dirt is this: from dirt to ceiling is about equal to the legspan, 1.5x the legspan if you're feeling frisky. Slings aren't as likely to get hurt if they fall, but adult Ts fall and fatally injure themselves on a fairly regular basis. It doesn't matter if the dirt is soft.