NOOB gets his first molt.

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
One of the local tarantula sellers gave me a few slings to try my hand at raising spiders. He said they were B albopilosum. One of them molted, so I saved the remains to mount on my wall (just kidding).

BEFORE

MOLT

AFTER

It would be great if I could keep these things alive!!

---------- Post added 02-17-2011 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-16-2011 at 11:49 PM ----------

He also gave me this sling, he said it is an L difficilis...whatever THAT is.

Last edited:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Lasiodora difficilus is the Brazilian fire red tarantula. They get pretty beefy and are a cool species. Brachypelma albopilosum is the Honduran curly hair. They are perfect beginner T's.

Also I dont know how long after the molt the 3rd pic was taken, but if the T just molted within the last few days, do not handle it. They stay soft ans squishy for a few days after molting and can easily be injured. Dont feed em for a few days either.

Other than that, good finds! Just keep their cups relatively moist and feed em little crickets 2x a week and they should thrive. Read up on both species, because once they grow up a little, they will need different environments and care. Welcome to the hobby :D

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations on your (and your sling's) first molt ... congrats also on snagging such a beautifully preserved exuvium from such a tiny tot - do keep them as your baby matures into juvenile-hood and adulthood ... they're great for lining up with the living article for a visual of his growth and development - check out my pics on this thread (and you'll see what I mean about your well-preserved sling exuvium) ....

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=202027

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
do keep them as your baby matures into juvenile-hood and adulthood ... they're great for lining up with the living article for a visual of his growth and development -

Dude, what a cool idea...thanks for sharing. I like this pic!!

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

They stay soft ans squishy for a few days after molting and can easily be injured.
OH...I wondered why he was so soft and mushy when I was rolling him between my fingers and bouncing the quarter off of him!!:D

It has only been four days since the molt...but I was extremely gentle and coaxed him/her right back into the container after the photo.

Thanks for all the advice, guys...I appreciate it.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
4 days should be enough time for a sling to harden back up, so she's all good. Just for fututre reference though, if you disturb a T too soon after a molt, even just running to get away can be enough to break legs.

Definetly save the molts too! You should see my L. Parahybana 2nd instar molts compared to a mature female. The little ones wouldnt even span the top of a pencil eraser, and the same spiders adult molts could cover a frisbee! I say you SHOULD see cause I dont have pics, lol.

Anyway good luck, keeping T's is fun :p