non- eating chalcodes

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Perhaps this is normal behavior, but here goes. I have a juvie (almost) female chalcodes. I've had her for a little over a month, and she has eaten nothing. I've tried everything that can conceivably be thought of, nothing. All I have gotten is her kicking hairs at the prey.
I'm not certain if molting is iminent; the skin showing is a nice pink. She has gotten noticeably skinnier, as I took a pic right after I got her, and just happened to have looked at it, and then her. She is in a tupperware, 1 and a half feet long, 8 inches wide. 6 inches high. Would a smaller container help?
Thanks...
Gillian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Hi all,
Perhaps this is normal behavior, but here goes. I have a juvie (almost) female chalcodes. I've had her for a little over a month, and she has eaten nothing. I've tried everything that can conceivably be thought of, nothing. All I have gotten is her kicking hairs at the prey.
I'm not certain if molting is iminent; the skin showing is a nice pink. She has gotten noticeably skinnier, as I took a pic right after I got her, and just happened to have looked at it, and then her. She is in a tupperware, 1 and a half feet long, 8 inches wide. 6 inches high. Would a smaller container help?
Thanks...
Gillian
Gillian,
One of my blonde's has been burrowed for over two months. I have to flood the enclosure to get water to it.
I have another 2" blonde that hasn't eaten in at least 3 months.
Yet I have an 5 1/5' adult female that never turns down a cricket. So who knows what these guys are thinking.
I guess you could provide it with a smaller enclosure, and keep its dish full. :?

Ernie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Gillian.
It is common for Aphonopelmas to fast from time to time. My oldest son has an Aphonopelme sp. (Sold to us as chalcodes but we doubt that's the proper sp. id.) that will fast for up to 4 months sometimes. It hasn't molted in just over 2 years either. However, she also has remained very fat so we've never worried about her. We just occasionaly toss a crick in...she'll either ignore it or surprise us by snatching it up.
I can understand your concern about your chalcodes apparently being thinner. If it's abdomen is still showing a pink color, a molt isn't likely to happen very soon. Have you tried any alternative prey? Also, what temp are you keeping her at? Cooler temps can slow a T's eating habits sometimes too. Humidity may be something to look at as well. I believe chalcodes prefer it a bit drier. If you can get a pic up, I'd like to see. Good luck with her Gillian. :)

Atrax

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

hmm that sucks i hope it does start eating gillian, when i had her she was gorging herself on .5'' crickets?, she never did molt though in my possesion, i kept her in a smaller container(a large jar) with around 5'' of dry shultz's peat mix, had a small cap of water in there for her and she had dug a nice burrow, this is messed up becasue she was fat when i sent her to? keep me updated please--Jeff oh by the way you said she was kicking hairs at prey, did you try pre killed food yet? that might work.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Thanks all....:)
Ernie I'll do that this weekend. I'll be scanning from pics, and my parent's flatbed is a pain. (that's why I haven't done it yet..sorry) I'll move her to a jar, when I get home from work. I never thought juvies could fast, but, I guess so...:)
Peace,
Gillian