noisy crickets

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is there any way to make my crickets stop making that cherping noise without killing them or letting them go?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It the male that makes the noise, and the only way to stop it is to remove the wings. This wont harm them, and infact they still go through the mothions of faceing off against each other with their stumpy wings twitchin. Or you could simply get used to it. Or go mad tryin!!!!!!

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RIP the wings off the Male's, That is the BEST way to keep them quiet, Or Just Squish The Chirper...::Smriks:: It doesnt hurt them at all, and they'll try like hell to chirp when they "face off" with another cricket...Pretty amusing and so forth to watch if ya ask me!

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
rip out their wings. they dont like it much thouygh you may need to chase them round their enclosure. adds to the fun ;P

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have time to kill and you want revenge for them waking you up, you could catch the males or anything with wings and cut them off. Those little <edit> they drive me crazy. One time I got so fed up I took one of the males and impaled him on a thick needle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Am I actually the only one who likes the chirping noise they make? If I close my eyes and lay back, it makes me feel like I'm in some tropical paradise! I say embrace the chirping! ...or switch to locusts... ;)

Although locusts have kick ass legs and can kick-jump their way out of a scorpions grip if their lucky, so you may have to break their knees...

Either way you have to be cruel to be kind to your scorps, double edged sword and all that.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also enjoy the beautifull sounds that a few hundred, or one, crix bring to my home.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I do the same as Brian, feed the males first and make sure they go to the tarantula, spider or scorpion who feeds the most aggressively.

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I don't grow my own crickets, I buy them in the store everytime feeding needs to be done, but what helps a bit is not buying the largest crickets. Buy a size 6 or 7 instead of 8. Smaller ones make less noise imo. And if they still annoy me, I got 2 bearded dragons over here who get rit of them withing 10 seconds {D

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I actually like the noise aspecialy when im in the garden in the summer, but ocationaly you do get a realy loud male, h=who just doesnt ever give up. Then he goes first, the same goes for perticulary agressive ones, if i have a bully (normaly a big female) they go in first. I do breed my own, so i do try to take care of them. But every now and agian they are anoying

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive given up on Crickets for now but yes, I did used to like the noise until, as Normski2020uk says, you get some very stubburn males you just wond quit. The black crickets are the worst. My final batch annoyed me so much during my final exams that I threw the whole lot in with my crested geckos and they were just masacared. Now its roaches all the way!

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A year or so ago, i had a quarantined WC field cricket which was later fed off to an emp. THAT was noise. Sorta like the new fire alarms in school, a high pitched racket so horrid its impossible to ignore. Its soothing at long distances but up close at 3 AM its an unholy terror.

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe, yeah I had the same when I once bought field crickets when the normal crickets were sold out. I managed 2 nights, but on the 3rd night without getting any sleep due those buggers I tossed them all out during the night. couldn't hear them anymore in me apartment on the 3rd floor, the neighbors did tho :rolleyes:

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
I keep my crickets kind of cold. No heating just leave them in a bucket in the apartment. They don't chirp at all if its cold enough, or maybe very little.