nocturnal viewing

cweg

Arachnopeon
I have found a nice product for observing my T's at night without disturbing them. It is called the Stylus by Streamlight. It is basically a LED penlight. You can get them with red,blue ,green , or white LED. I found mine through the MAC tool man. I have also seen them at the Harley dealership. It can be found on the web at any tactical flashlight site.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been using a penlight for sometime know with great success!

I didn't actualy had to buy one, cause i mine was a "freebie" in a packet of batteries.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Do you use white light, or one of the colored ones?

Joy

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the white one, and it is accepted by my vagans.

cweg

Arachnopeon
RED

I have several, but I use the red one for night viewing my T's.
The great thing about them is the LED. It's not a light bulb so it lasts for 100,000 hours. The batteries last for a long time also. It uses AAAA batteries. I found the batteries at Radio Shack.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see a red light and I want to turn it black

What about blacklights, not for heating or anything like that, but for viewing purposes only?
The Rookie

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: I see a red light and I want to turn it black

Originally posted by Rookie
What about blacklights, not for heating or anything like that, but for viewing purposes only?
The Rookie
I wonder if you could paint a T with nontoxic day-glow paint. I'm getting a flashback just thinking about it. It's starting to turn a bit unpleasant.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A red LED penlight...this is a tool I must get...I bet it's great for spying on the critters late at nigh in a dark room! Thanks for the tip!!!

Wade

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
I use a desk lamp with a red 25watt "party bulb" on my shelf where most of my tarantulas are kept. I keep the light on 24hrs. a day without any ill effects. I have always heard that tarantulas and nocturnal animals in general can't see the red spectrum.

Roy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I've got a Mini mag-lite with the rubber cap that has the colored lenses in it. I noticed that they do react sometimes (atleast the C. fimbriatus) to the white light, but never to the red filtered light. However, it doesn't show you much with the red light. I have 4 different kinds of blacklights, as I require them with my job, as well as some invisible paint that shows up neon green under the black lights. However, It says not to ingest it, so I'm gonna play it safe an NOT paint my T's with it :p I noticed also, that right after a molt my B. smithi's hairs showed up as a dull cream color under black light. The rest, I don't get much of anything but a purplish tinged background, and Brighter than life turds on the glass that were hardly visible before.

Also, this brings me to another point, one someone said about flash bothering or not bothering T's. Just today, I had my camera ready, trying to get a pic of my C. fimb and I did snap it off when it got the cricket, but the second I did, it stopped chewing and teleported back into it's vial/burrow. Coincedence? I have no idea.

Bill

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by smithikeeper
I have always heard that tarantulas and nocturnal animals in general can't see the red spectrum.

Roy
Yes, I use red bulbs to heat some of my vivaria, too, and I haven't seen that it bothers the spiders. But it never occurred to me to use a red flashlight to make nocturnal checkups. White light doesn't seem to bother most of them, but there are some, like the Pokes (who seem to have superior eyesight in general), who will duck out of sight when a white light is shined on them.

I have to wonder sometimes what my neighbors think about me. You can see a red glow emanating from my house at night even with the shades pulled ;)

Joy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Black Light LEDs

Originally posted by Maelstrom
One of my customers sent me a pair of black light LED penlights - they were originally intended to detect counterfit $$$ - but I've been using mine to look at T's My customer is selling them on eBay for $2.99/ea - here's the link if you're interested:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25
hey......are those U.V. LED blacklights? do you have any scorpions? if not, know anyone that has scorpions? I would like to know if these things would work for blacklighting for scorpions so one would not have to lugg around the large fluorescent bulb type black lights.
Ed

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by cweg
I have found a nice product for observing my T's at night without disturbing them. It is called the Stylus by Streamlight. It is basically a LED penlight. You can get them with red,blue ,green , or white LED. I found mine through the MAC tool man. I have also seen them at the Harley dealership. It can be found on the web at any tactical flashlight site.
I have a stylus with a white LED that I got from the snap on dealer, it pales compared with the INOVA 5 LED light I got from the same snap on dealer, very bright white light.
another thing that works for looking in at the nocturnal inverts is a cam corder with infra-red.
Ed

Maelstrom

Arachnopeon
UV reactive stuff....

I just double checked, and yes, they are UV - I sell body jewelry and so I have a bag full of UV reactive stuff on my desk and POW! Did it glow - even with the light on in my office. I'm thinking these would be nice for scorpion keepers :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
so, which style should I get, bullet, or flashlight....any one superior to the other?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
so, which style should I get, bullet, or flashlight....any one superior to the other?
Holley, the multi LED flashlights simply outshines the single LED as far as brightness goes, also there are differences in the LED bulbs themselves as far as the "blue" cast to the white bulbs. I really like the INOVA 5 light, it is slightly smaller than a mini mag light, costs around 40 to 50.00. It is so bright it will temp. blind you if you look directly at the light. the only thing I don't like about it is it uses expensive camera type batteries (even though the batteries last a long time they cost about 10.00). there is a good site that tests LED flashlights, I will have to hunt the URL up and post it here.
Ed

the site is:
www.LEDmuseum.org

Last edited:

Maelstrom

Arachnopeon
Bullet vs flashlight UV Led thingys

I have one of both kinds of the UV LEDs... and I found that the bullet one is ever so slightly more focused - but the flashlight one does well too - either way you'll be happy :)

Joy

Old Timer
Re: UV reactive stuff....

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I just double checked, and yes, they are UV - I sell body jewelry and so I have a bag full of UV reactive stuff on my desk and POW! Did it glow - even with the light on in my office. I'm thinking these would be nice for scorpion keepers :)
AND for scorpion hunters! We do scorp hunting at the ATS Conference, and a black light is a necessity. I wonder how they'd work in that application? It would be a nice portable form.

Joy

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Use of the penlight to view Ts after dark

I use the same type of pen light that you discribe. Mine is a "blue white" type of light. It is generally too bright once right up next to the side of the enclosure and my Cobalt Blue will sometimes move away from it once exposed.

But i agree that it is a great little light for finding them quickly in dim or dark conditions.
Ancientscout