no webbing or eating

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I have a g rosea that is not laying any webbing or eating she has been it her present enviroment for about 2 months now should I be concerend yet?

Last edited:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about the webbing. Some tarantulas do it lots, and some jest don't. She will when and if she feels like it. As far as feeding, has she not been eating for two months, or just been in that enclosure for two months? What have you been offering her and with what frequency.
Now about your enclosure, it's good that you posted pictures here. You could make it alot safer for your pretty lady if you remove all those wood chips and replace them...most people use coco fibre, peat or vermiculite or a mixture. Alot of petstore people will recommend wood chips (we don't know why), but they are pointy on delicate undersides and could cause damage if your tarantula fell. Also, there should be alot more substrate in a container that size, again so she won't hurt herself if she climbs and falls. General rule is that if your spider was standing on her back legs, she should just be able to reach the top with her front. Some people go a span and a half, but no more than that.
You never know, she might start webbing when she gets on a looser substrate too.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I have been offering her crickets every 2 wees or so I put them in in the evening when I get home from work and if it is still there the following evening I remove it. As far as the wood chip from reading other posts on the sight I was sure that i would get coments on it. I will be looking into replacing that in the next few days but i am worried that replacing it will cause more stress than leaving her be right now I will have to do more research. I have also just moved a young goliath bird eater(I do believe that they are refered to as t blondi on this site) into her new home less than a week ago she has the same bedding and now I am unsure if I should put her under the additional stress of the change now when she has just started to lay web?Any advice wiuld be appereciated.

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I wouldnt be worried about stressing them out, But more worried about the possibilites of them getting hurt. Its okay if they go a while without eating (Rosea's go on Fasts- some wont eat for a year or two...which is why feeding them the minimal is a good idea. but even then they can still fast)

Your rosie may not want to web- because of the chips. They arent big webbers to begin with, only laying down a thin Web blanket where they claim as their "home spot". Change the sub, Give them a week without Handling & poking around in their cages and they should do just fine!

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldnt be worried about stressing them out, But more worried about the possibilites of them getting hurt. Its okay if they go a while without eating (Rosea's go on Fasts- some wont eat for a year or two...which is why feeding them the minimal is a good idea. but even then they can still fast)

Your rosie may not want to web- because of the chips. They arent big webbers to begin with, only laying down a thin Web blanket where they claim as their "home spot". Change the sub, Give them a week without Handling & poking around in their cages and they should do just fine!
You literally took the words right out of my mouth. I had a female G.rosea fast for over two years.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the tips guys I will get some new sub on the way home from work today then comes the fun part of getting them out no problem with the g rosea I can handler her with out problems the t blondi is a different story. Would it be a problem if I just used burried the chips with 4-5 inches of peat moss?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G. rosea is on coconut coir, and webbed up the whole bottom of the cage and regularly balls it up and pushes it in to the corner.

Also, my G. rosea hasnt eaten since I got her/him several months a go.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
prior to my roseas last molt it didn't web at all, now its web crazy... unpredictable

Their capacity to be stressed is likely very limited. if you scuttle them into a small container switch out the bedding they will be fine.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think it took about as long as your rosea has for mine to actually start redoing her enclosure to her own liking. as far as acclimations go, she took her sweet time. now she has a 5" deep tunnel she likes to be at the bottom of... silly pet hole rosea. also, rosea #2 followed in a similar fashion.

They arent big webbers to begin with, only laying down a thin Web blanket where they claim as their "home spot". Change the sub, Give them a week without Handling & poking around in their cages and they should do just fine!
mine has webbed up pretty much her entire enclosure thouroughly, but i agree with the rest of this. switch out the sub (the stress should be minimal if you corral her properly), make sure at least the top layer is dry if you use cococoir, and give her loads of it like others have mentioned, then leave her be for a while and it might be all the difference.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I've been busy this evening and made some changes the new sub is down. I used some organic peat moss with assurence that it contains no pesticides or fertalizers. My girls cooperated very well with little to no stress to all involved. Now I will just have to wait and see how things pan out hoping that I did the right thing. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
MUCH better. Unfortuantly you are not out of the woods yet. ;P

The G.rosea's enclosure is too tall. She can easly fall and split her abdomen on one of the solid objects in the enclosure. I've seen tarantulas climb and fall consistantly, again and again slip and fall down onto the substrate. Shorten the height gap by adding more substrate.

And you don't need the pebbles in the water dish of that size. Trust me, there is NO possible way the Ts of that size can drown in the water dishes of those enclosures. ;)

Other than that, the enclosures look great. Remember to keep the Theraphosa's humidity high.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been busy this evening and made some changes the new sub is down. I used some organic peat moss with assurence that it contains no pesticides or fertalizers. My girls cooperated very well with little to no stress to all involved. Now I will just have to wait and see how things pan out hoping that I did the right thing. Thanks for the advice.
It looks like you need some more substrate.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
how deep should I got with the sub? what would be the maximum recomended hight to have in the cage? The pebbles in the water are more decoration than anything else I just like the buda and mushroom.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would put it up so if the tarantula stands on 2 legs she can touch the top.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I added some more sub so she can't fall and some good news she has been laying web all over her cage I am going to wait a few more days and feed her

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
This is TERRIFIC!!! This is why these forums can be SO stinking valuable, and truly help out all through proper education, rather than frustration, and trial and error. You guys are really great! I'm very happy to be a new member here.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a g rosea that is not laying any webbing or eating she has been it her present enviroment for about 2 months now should I be concerend yet?
Am I right in that you're a newbie? No offense. We were all one once, and I still consider myself one, even after having tarantulas for more than 40 years!

If you're a "noob," read http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html and be especially certain to read the four books. Yes, you can learn most of what you need to know on these forums, but the books can be read for free from your friendly, neighborhood, public library (use the Interlibrary Loan Service to get the ones they don't have on their shelves), and they'll give you ALL the basic information you need in an easy way to remember and understand, and soon enough to save your tarantula from a tortured death.

Also, be especially careful to read http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html. It'll answer almost all the questions you may have, and a lot that you don't even know enough to ask.

Now, to answer your question directly, I quote a passage from another thread (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1760897):

"Wild caught roses normally molt the first year that they're in captivity during their normal molting season in Chile, i.e., October through December (rarely in September or January). So, if you just got it within the last few months, it indeed is approaching a molt. And, the reason it can't climb may very likely be that whatever mechanism on their tarsal scopulae ("toe pads") that allows spiders to climb glass is getting dirty or worn out. As soon as it molts it'll be fine again. An imminent molt may also explain its waning appetite.

BTW, after that first molt in captivity nearly all roses get confused and may not molt for 2-1/2 years or more. Read the "roses" webpage for more information."

Enjoy your newfound, little, 8-legged buddy!