No substrate for chromatopelma?

mercury904

Arachnopeon
i have read on this site that some concluded that desert sand is just fine with chromatopelma ,,if sand is ok will it thrive in a no subtsrate setup?

just :

>tank
>wood (to anchor/hide)
>water dish

here's how juvy he is,still less than 6 months

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not really safe to have no substrate in any tarantula cage because of the falling potential. There are some species like P. murinus, C. cyaneopubescens (GBB), etc that don't absolutely stress without it but it's still highly reccomended.

GBB's thrive in a semi-arboreal setup with just a couple of inches of dry substrate and plenty of sticks or plants to web to. They don't mind a little height as they are more agile climbers than say, Grammostolas or Brachypelmas. They'll climb up in there and turn the whole place into a big, webby maze. Sometimes it can take quite a while for them to really get to that point but it sure looks cool when they do.

mercury904

Arachnopeon
thanx

It's not really safe to have no substrate in any tarantula cage because of the falling potential. There are some species like P. murinus, C. cyaneopubescens (GBB), etc that don't absolutely stress without it but it's still highly reccomended.

GBB's thrive in a semi-arboreal setup with just a couple of inches of dry substrate and plenty of sticks or plants to web to. They don't mind a little height as they are more agile climbers than say, Grammostolas or Brachypelmas. They'll climb up in there and turn the whole place into a big, webby maze. Sometimes it can take quite a while for them to really get to that point but it sure looks cool when they do.
how about 4inch of a completely dry sphagnum moss? what im really concerned here is the humidity,currently he is in room temp ;)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
how about 4inch of a completely dry sphagnum moss? what im really concerned here is the humidity,currently he is in room temp ;)
Gbb require little special care in regards to heat or humidity.Set up your tank with coco fiber then leave it alone.Don't worry about humidity,they prefer it on the dry side.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Considering where you come from, the Philippines, I think this poses an interesting question. You'll already be experiencing a higher humidity than their natural habitat. Coir might help to raise that, especially if its recently been rehydrated.
The substrate will not be used to burrow so I'd suggest as dry a substrate as possible, leave it out in the sun on newspaper if you've just rehydrated coir substrate. A thin layer is all that's necessary, place some branches on top and let your GBB get on with its webbing.
Personally I'd avoid sphagnum moss as its great for retaining a level of humidity, plus it proves a great place to hide feeder insects, dead or alive!

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Considering where you come from, the Philippines, I think this poses an interesting question. You'll already be experiencing a higher humidity than their natural habitat. Coir might help to raise that, especially if its recently been rehydrated.
The substrate will not be used to burrow so I'd suggest as dry a substrate as possible, leave it out in the sun on newspaper if you've just rehydrated coir substrate. A thin layer is all that's necessary, place some branches on top and let your GBB get on with its webbing.
Personally I'd avoid sphagnum moss as its great for retaining a level of humidity, plus it proves a great place to hide feeder insects, dead or alive!
I agree with Poxicator, btw OP beautiful specimen! :D