No Picture ID - Found in Mexico?

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine discovered a tarantula and brought it home to us. It's totally black with a gold carapace,and very thin-looking. It's not like a purse tarantula or anything. It's leg span is about 5 inches across.....he swears up and down that it jumped very far. There aren't any distinct markings at all except for the gold, the rest is just pitch black. It was found in northern Mexico...close to Del Rio,TX. Any ideas or maybe some pictures I could compare it to would be really good. Thanks for all your help!

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another note

It also appears to have very very fine...if my lighting is correct...redish brown hairs on its abdomen...possibly a Golden redrump? Although on second glance the hairs appear more silver-ish than anything. The lid of the container is orange and kinda makes it hard to tell.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe B. albiceps? Or a Aphonopelma sp? Heck I am just stabbing in the dark. Given the region you say it was caught at those are the maybes I think.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does this look anything like it? This one is only about 3 inches and another hobbiest wanted to get rid of it. I bought it and I can't find anything on it. Good luck.

Click here :)

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm

It's still arguable as to whether or not the hairs are red...it seems to me that the hairs are silver from up above,but from underneathe they're red. Help! lol It's two against one over here *:)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well if you procure a camera and snap a picture that would really help us out!

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tryin

Well we couldnt get the camera's flash to work,or maybe it was the camera itself....I dunno,I'm at a friend's house and I myself dont own one...but believe me I know I'd have much better luck if I had a pic to post

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!
As thinking of Your wording description You most possibly have an adult male of some Aphonopelma sp and it is nearly impossible to ID it, if so. Only several people in this world can do it.

To cheetah13mo: where does this "Aphonopelma" been found (I mean the one on Your link)?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi!
As thinking of Your wording description You most possibly have an adult male of some Aphonopelma sp and it is nearly impossible to ID it, if so. Only several people in this world can do it.

To cheetah13mo: where does this "Aphonopelma" been found (I mean the one on Your link)?
I believe it was found in deep southern Texas. I'm not sure though. A boy found it and moved up here where I live and decided he didn't want it any more. You know as much as I do now. I wish I knew more but that's all I have. Thanks.

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds right

Aphonopelma sp, from what I've found picture-wise, looks to be what I have. How do I care for it? I can't seem to find any care sheets at all. How does it do with sand? I've always wanted a desert T,lol. I'll get pics as soon as I can,just to be sure. He seems to be very docile,and I hear they can live past 30...neat!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't use sand. That can scratch up the underneath side of your T. Use cocoa fiber or peat. Give it a hide, keep it dry and give it a water dish and keep it full. Done deal. No moisture requirments other than the dish. That's how I keep mine and it's doing great. It molted once in my care already without problems too. Good luck with yours and let me know if you find more info.

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well,he was found in the sand,which is why I asked,but peat moss sounds like more fun anyway. Does anyone know what their bite is like, and what kind of damage can he do?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only thing that would really happen with a bite from that guy is you would hurt from the fangs piercing your skin. More or less the equal to a bee sting with two blunt fangs. Nothing to worry about really. Plus they are fairly calm guys so that risk is very low.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found another one like your talking about, and like I already have, and I bought it. It's almost adult if not adult already and it look identical to my smaller one. Acts the same too. Quick to raise up and give a threat but that's as far as it goes. Now I have two and i don't know what the heDOUBLEhockeySTICKS they are. lol Someday, I'll figure it out. I'm in no hurry, I just like watching them.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking they are Aphonopelma caniceps. Let me know what you all think. That's the closest I've seen so far.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi cheetah13mo!

Before any other discussion it would be nice if You will show this specimen to somebody in theraphosid taxonomy or send the exuvium, first to confirm it is Aphonopelma and not anything else.
As for the Aphonopelma caniceps or A. stoicum Your specimen look alike, I do believe the one we have in hobby didn't ID'ed properly and some Aphonopelmas in fact appears to be Brachypelma spp, for example Brachypelma schroederi...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hadn't thought of that Mikhail. Thanks for the info and when I get a shed skin, I'll try to get that done. As you said the A. caniceps and the B. schroederi look almost identical. Pretty amaizing really. Thanks again.