No Fangs

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I received today two avics and an OBT, the one avic (two inch, with out fangs) and the obt being for free. The two inch avic, attempted to eat today. I gave her a cricket to see if she atleast had interest in trying to catch it, and she immediately tackled it, and is currently trying to eat it. I don't know if she can actually eat it though, and im going to keep an eye on her. Im hoping she can eat it..But what alternatives are there if she cant? Mushed up crickets im sure, but will she just sorta..slurp it up? Or will I have to hand feed her? Im willing to do anything necessary to save her if possible, but need any advice anyone can give. Thanks guys :)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All you should have to do if she can not take care of it herself is you just break the cricket open a little. Just a little mutilation and your T should be able to eat most of it. I've gone as far as to actually put the cricket in the T's mouth with forceps and after it had a good hold of the food, I gentley put it back and the food was eaten. Do what ever you can to get her to eat until the next molt when the fangs are regenerated. Good luck.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Soft bodied worms, which you pierce with a needle, would feed her fine if she takes it !

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She happily attacked a cricket, but gave up and it walked off. So if i gave her something like mealworms, she could eat them? Shes a sweetie, I just dont know what to do. Soft body stuff, broke open, and she can eat?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The fangs are what usually does most of the mutilation for them to eat. Without the fangs, you have to do, or at least start the mutilation for her. Meal worms seam to have a hard body compared to waxworms or most crickets. Stick with the soft bodied food and start the mutilation for her and then put it right in front of her. You might even have to twitch it yourself a little to get the T to pounce. Just try stuff and let us know what does and doesn't work. We can keep coming up with ideas but you should start trying things.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay. Ill try a cricket tonight, and if that doesnt work, get something different tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Night crawlers, as someone suggested might work. Cut slits into the worm, and it will keep wiggling and may attract your T to an already mutilated meal. GL with her!!!

Sparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a P.cancerides that molted and had no fangs, just stubs. I would mince up crickets or butter worms with a pair of scissors and drop that in front of the T, which he would pounce on. (Do the snipping on a piece of paper, it's messy.) I kept this up for 4 months till his next molt, and his fangs regenerated fine.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wiggling a mutilated cricket in front of her did nothing, she just crawled over it to wander my hands.. Im gonna get worms tomorrow, that i can cut open and have still wiggling... I left the cricket in for now, maybe shell decide it looks yummy, but im gonna get it out before bed

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's very sad. What ever happened? :(
It's not that bad. There are many stories of these T's being saved just how we are talking about in this thread. It takes more work on your part but it's well worth it and for me, it brought me closer to my pets. ;)

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So apparently theres some big wax worm shortage, so everywhere weve looked ( a lot of places) I cant find anything other then mealworms..and crickets stop moving when i cut them open and she loses interest. We even tried a tiny pinky cut open for her.. wiggled..she ran away. She did web a little in her home though.. I really hope I can find something she can eat.

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We'll think of something. There's lot's of stuff out there. Did you try earthworms?

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh, that was a slip, i meant pinkY not toe.. wow.. this is getting to me, lol..

Okay, cricket failed, gooey cricket failed, cut open cricket also failed. Pinky didnt work, earthworm isnt working. If its not hopping around, she doesnt see it as food. And the earthworm was wiggling too... Any more ideas?

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking about that. What sort of nutrients would I need? Could i mix her water with cricket goo?

I was also thinking, since shell grab crickets that are living, is there a way i could mutilate it once its in her grip? Stabbing it with a needle, something like that?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was thinking about that. What sort of nutrients would I need? Could i mix her water with cricket goo?

I was also thinking, since shell grab crickets that are living, is there a way i could mutilate it once its in her grip? Stabbing it with a needle, something like that?
No, don't do that. That's too risky because you could end up stabbing your T. I'm not sure about a mixed drink. Might work, i just don't know. The things that have not worked, don't just write them off. Your T might eat if there is food available but it may not be hungry. Down the road, it very well could get to the point where you could just lay a cut cricker in front of it and it will pick it up and eat it. Things could change into your favore, just don't give up.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know shes hungry, she attacks anything moving in front of her. I gave her a live cricket again, and while she had it i was her "fangs" and mashed it.. took it away, pulled it apart, and opened its goop, and gave it back.. and i tink she may be eating it. Im gonna start mixing her water with cricket goo too, just to see.. But I think shes eating some cricket now.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's good news. Just don't give up. Once you find something that works, go with it and your T will get used to that and it should become easier. Congrats.