Nine year old RH enclosure switch

Larry K

Arachnopeon
I have a nine year old Rosy that has been in the same space since she was a juvenile. It‘s my only spider and don’t know a ton about them, but she has been an enjoyable and easy pet since my son got her. I have a large reptile tank available, and would like to move her into it. I will fabricate a drop cover to avoid excessive height inside. My question about the whole thing is related to any stress the animal might experience. Is it too dangerous to move her at this point? I would like to do it for my own enjoyment and thought it might be nice. Here are the current and future enclosures. Thank

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Nice enclosure. Unfortunately too dangerous for your T. Mostly just fall risk. Original enclosure needs drastic changes too. I’m actually kinda impressed it’s survived that long with that much height.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Rehousing is non issue at all. Though it will take days, if not weeks for your tarantula to get comfortable with new enclosure, which is very normal, and non issue as well.

My question for you would be from which enclosure to which enclosure it is moving to?

Larry K

Arachnopeon
Rehousing is non issue at all. Though it will take days, if not weeks for your tarantula to get comfortable with new enclosure, which is very normal, and non issue as well.

My question for you would be from which enclosure to which enclosure it is moving to?
she would go to the big one with the double doors. I would fabricate the cover to drop in so the height would be reasonable.

Nice enclosure. Unfortunately too dangerous for your T. Mostly just fall risk. Original enclosure needs drastic changes too. I’m actually kinda impressed it’s survived that long with that much height.
she climbed the walls when we first got her but i haven’t seen her do it for several years now. I found out after she was a few years old that the height was not ideal, but it never became an issue.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
In the second enclosure you have a heat lamp, over a wood lid. That seems like a very bad idea. You should rehouse her into a more suitable enclosure, about the same size as the first one with very little height. If it's too tall you can add more substrate which you can't do with a front opening tank.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best thing for your G. porteri is a top opening enclosure, like a glass aquarium. A 5 gallon would be more than enough to suit your spider. Remember, do not use a screen lid, as they can get their feet stuck in it and bad things can happen. Some people suggest a plexiglass that fits. Also load up the tank at least halfway or more with substrate. You probably want to "spoil" your spider, but cluttering the tank with decorations only gives its prey items more places to hide. Just a simple hide and a water dish. Boom, you're done.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Please rehouse that immediately with no more that 1.5x diagonal leg span from substrate level to lid. ASAP!! what its in is a death trap and like @Poonjab said I am truly shocked it has not died already from falling in there.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
A general rule of thumb is a good size for a terrestrial enclosure is 3L x 2W x 1.5h of the leg span of the tarantula. For example, a tarantula with a 4 inch leg span would need an enclosure that is 12 inches long by 8 inches wide with 6 inches between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure. I may not be seeing the picture clearly but is the enclosure it is already in didn't really seem too small. How does it compare to the formula?

I noticed a temperature/humidity gauge on the side. I had one in my first tarantula enclosure. One day the adhesives let go and it almost landed on the t when it fell. They are not necessary. The ambient temperature that you live in is fine for your t. If you are comfortable your t is comfortable. Hope this helps.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
now. I found out after she was a few years old that the height was not ideal, but it never became an issue.
You are wrong. It’s never an issue until your T is DEAD. Take better care of this animal.

Like NOT wearing a seatbelt- SAME idea here.

I’ve never understood this “logic”- it hasn’t happened to me so it’s not a problem.

I played Russian Roulette for 25 years I haven’t died! This game is not a problem.

That exoterra will only work if you turn it on its side with the doors opening up.

Last edited:

Larry K

Arachnopeon
You are wrong. It’s never an issue until your T is DEAD. Take better care of this animal.

Like NOT wearing a seatbelt- SAME idea here.

I’ve never understood this “logic”- it hasn’t happened to me so it’s not a problem.

I played Russian Roulette for 25 years I haven’t died! This game is not a problem.

That exoterra will only work if you turn it on its side with the doors opening up.
Yeah, i think i got your point without all the analogies, but okay. Good idea turning on side. Didn’t think of that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, i think i got your point without all the analogies, but okay. Good idea turning on side. Didn’t think of that.
I try not to assume people will understand w/out an analogy to drive the point home. A lot of people don't get it etc, glad you do.

Yeah, the ExoTerra is a great setup as a product for most things, but Ts it fails due to screen top. All one needs to do is drop in acrylic instead of the screen so sub doesn't leak out. Position the holes appropriately and you are good to go! Too many people will tell you that you have to dump the Exo and buy something else, no need to waste money on a new setup, nor time in building a completely brand new one etc

cold blood

Staff member
You could move it to a smaller enclosure, but I wouldn't go larger, its already pointlessly large (not that its not ok, it is).

Just an fyi, there is no need to monitor temp or add additional heat, the species deals with cool temps better than most ts, and frankly if it was kept at 60f, you wouldnt have a problem.....and temps up to and over 90 are also fine, so temps are really unimportant. Same for humidity, all you need to do is keep it dry.....all the time...with a nice water dish like you have.....super super simple. A heat lamp is something that could wear on the animal and eventually kill it.

Larry K

Arachnopeon
I try not to assume people will understand w/out an analogy to drive the point home. A lot of people don't get it etc, glad you do.

Yeah, the ExoTerra is a great setup as a product for most things, but Ts it fails due to screen top. All one needs to do is drop in acrylic instead of the screen so sub doesn't leak out. Position the holes appropriately and you are good to go! Too many people will tell you that you have to dump the Exo and buy something else, no need to waste money on a new setup, nor time in building a completely brand new one etc
so, the holes under the doors would be adequate, or should i drill the acrylic panel as well?

You could move it to a smaller enclosure, but I wouldn't go larger, its already pointlessly large (not that its not ok, it is).

Just an fyi, there is no need to monitor temp or add additional heat, the species deals with cool temps better than most ts, and frankly if it was kept at 60f, you wouldnt have a problem.....and temps up to and over 90 are also fine, so temps are really unimportant. Same for humidity, all you need to do is keep it dry.....all the time...with a nice water dish like you have.....super super simple. A heat lamp is something that could wear on the animal and eventually kill it.
thank you. I put that humidity gauge in when i first got her, but haven’t really looked at it for years. She has done well without any heat or humidity changes. She hangs out on her water bowl a lot and likes to out her feet in when i fill them. One really cold winter i put a small heat bulb near the tank at night, which she gravitated to. Rarely gets below 62 in that room, but that year was really cold for my area.

A general rule of thumb is a good size for a terrestrial enclosure is 3L x 2W x 1.5h of the leg span of the tarantula. For example, a tarantula with a 4 inch leg span would need an enclosure that is 12 inches long by 8 inches wide with 6 inches between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure. I may not be seeing the picture clearly but is the enclosure it is already in didn't really seem too small. How does it compare to the formula?

I noticed a temperature/humidity gauge on the side. I had one in my first tarantula enclosure. One day the adhesives let go and it almost landed on the t when it fell. They are not necessary. The ambient temperature that you live in is fine for your t. If you are comfortable your t is comfortable. Hope this helps.
Good info. I’ll take the gauge out. I guess it’s not too small, but i like the idea of giving her more space. I’m not an expert, for sure.

cold blood

Staff member
For species like this which are kept dry, venting requirements are absolutely minimal.....zero need for additional ventilation.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Figure out the diagonal leg span of the T, estimate the height the substraight would need to be at, have a piece of plexiglass cut to size and silicone it in place in front where the doors are to keep the sub in. Then you have a front opening enclosure with enough sub to account for fall risks.

Depending in the gap between the plexiglass and the door you may need to stuff moss in there to prevent live pray from getting between the plexiglass and door, but play around with a piece of cardboard and figure it out from there.

If you like that style of tank I don’t think anything is impossible.

Edit: Ideally it be in a size appropriate enclosure. My input was solely addressing how one could possibly make a front opening enclosure work for a terrestrial.

Last edited:

Larry K

Arachnopeon
Figure out the diagonal leg span of the T, estimate the height the substraight would need to be at, have a piece of plexiglass cut to size and silicone it in place in front where the doors are to keep the sub in. Then you have a front opening enclosure with enough sub to account for fall risks.

Depending in the gap between the plexiglass and the door you may need to stuff moss in there to prevent live pray from getting between the plexiglass and door, but play around with a piece of cardboard and figure it out from there.

If you like that style of tank I don’t think anything is impossible.

Edit: Ideally it be in a size appropriate enclosure. My input was solely addressing how one could possibly make a front opening enclosure work for a terrestrial.
thanks, i was thinking about this exactly yesterday. Was going to look for black acrylic sheet for fabricating the dam. I’m still up in the air on keeping it a front opening, but this seems like an easy way to go if I want to repurpose this tank.

So i decided to flip it on its side and go that route. Here is what i have. I need to add some more sub and deal with vent holes being too big for prey, but am close. The light is just on for drying out sub before i make the move. 2F9790D6-B6F4-4A96-B57E-1DD5B9CABF33.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Nice, good way to repurpose what you had. If the old top had mesh maybe glue that on the outside back to prevent feeders from finding freedom.