Nikon D80 for tarantula photo op

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Guys I purchased a Nikon D80 dslr camera. Want to know if anyone on the forum uses these kind of cameras to take pictures of the beautiful species..? And if so what are the best settings to tune the camera to for best results ?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I use a Canon instead of a Nikon but as far as DSLRs go it's basically the same. I would suggest you start out working with your new camera on something that doesn't move, is the same size and has good detail like the tarantula you want to photo. Work with lights (I use a constant on pair of soft boxes when I can) and settings. Get where you are taking good photos that way. Then just have fun with it. I would recommend a good micro lens for you camera if you want to get fine detail. I use a 100mm micro for a lot of my T shots. I also use my camera phone when I see something going on but don't have time to grab the bigger camera. Once you get started let me know if you have more questions.

Here is My Photo Thread if you want to check it out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The best person would be to contact @papilio He's a Nikon user, and currently went mirrorless after a discussion he and I had, Sony gear.

He's extremely knowledgeable about optics and macrophotography. His work belongs in National Geographic.

Here's his Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/_papilio

I should mention many of his images are as perfect as they look because he uses advanced camera gear/techniques, such as deep-stacking (not too mention years of experience hah)

The mod Advan also takes very good ones too.

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Thank for all replies guys. I'll be checking out the links shortly here. And as for the lens I have 18-70mm. I want to learn everything on it. Love photography and the tools that help get best images.