Nikon D300 - Anyone have?

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am probably going to be purchasing the body (already have lenses) here in about 2 or 3 months. Anyone have an Epinion on it? The D200 is about 500 less right now and I don't know what to snag up.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it's a choice between the d200 and d300, it's kind of a no brainer... d300 all the way.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
D300 is a nobrainer over D200

Personally in this range I'd go with the Canon 5d,which is just awesome in lowlight conditions, but you arent gonna go wrong with Nikon

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
D300 is a nobrainer over D200

Personally in this range I'd go with the Canon 5d,which is just awesome in lowlight conditions, but you arent gonna go wrong with Nikon

I do not know if I would call the d300 and 5d in the same ball park. Price wise ok I mean the 5d is almost 3 year old now. But quality (image/build) the d300 is really not even up to the match.

I mean d300 is 1.5 crop factor. 5d full frame.
d300 mid range sensor. 5d upper range sensor.

I would compare the d300 to 40d
that is a good match.

But it really does not matter all three cameras are great cameras.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not know if I would call the d300 and 5d in the same ball park. Price wise ok I mean the 5d is almost 3 year old now. But quality (image/build) the d300 is really not even up to the match.

I mean d300 is 1.5 crop factor. 5d full frame.
d300 mid range sensor. 5d upper range sensor.

I would compare the d300 to 40d
that is a good match.

But it really does not matter all three cameras are great cameras.
Which is why, given that they are in the same range price-wise, go with the 5d

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the 5d is cannon though right?
Yea it was canons aborted step child. They where trying to bridge the gap between the 2000 dollar camera and the 8000-16000 dollar camera. The price start really high at like 5000 but then fall really quickly (like 6 months) to about 3000 and is now at 2000.

Alot of people wanted something like that, but in the end, the ones that wanted ff and professional quality just went with the mark series and the ones that want a great camera went with the 30d. It is still a great camera, but very unforgiving.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ewww doesn't have auto Iso and people are complaining about the button placement... you have to have to hands on the wheel at all times with the 5D would hate that. I guess when I pay off my camera I am going to probably get the D300 or D3h? The new full frame 5,000 body... its going to be a high mark to set on saving up for, but It would take some amazing pics.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ewww doesn't have auto Iso and people are complaining about the button placement... you have to have to hands on the wheel at all times with the 5D would hate that. I guess when I pay off my camera I am going to probably get the D300 or D3h? The new full frame 5,000 body... its going to be a high mark to set on saving up for, but It would take some amazing pics.
Yea ff can be go but you have to have the glass for it. If you do not have the glass then you really better off with cropped.

Button placement is funny, people think that everything should never change.

And if you are using auto iso, stop, that is probably you problem.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like the auto ISO i have on the d50.. even though its nothing compaired to that of a d200 or 300 ... it is increments of like 200,400,800,1600 compaired to steps of 20? I don't know the difference in a FF lens and non. Help me out with that. I have never seen one specified either way. I have a sigma 70-300 super macro and a nikkor 50mm 1.8f... and the kit junker :p... I am looking to get a super wide angle.. but I'm not sure on which one yet.. I will get the camera first.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like the auto ISO i have on the d50.. even though its nothing compaired to that of a d200 or 300 ... it is increments of like 200,400,800,1600 compaired to steps of 20? I don't know the difference in a FF lens and non. Help me out with that. I have never seen one specified either way. I have a sigma 70-300 super macro and a nikkor 50mm 1.8f... and the kit junker :p... I am looking to get a super wide angle.. but I'm not sure on which one yet.. I will get the camera first.
The worst part of your lens are at the edges. 1.5 crop will cut out the edges of the lens. It will take a ok lens and make it look better.

FF uses the whole lens which means that if you got a ok lens it will look horrible.
for the glass you have stick with the crop. I have the 70-300, really good under on the 20d crop, horrible on the mark II.
If you like the look of the 50d I would not upgrade. With all the semi pro(D300 ) to pro cameras(d3h) you will see the difference. 50d is has heavy software on it that makes the picture look better out of the camera.

all semi pro and pro cameras require, for best result, you to have control over all the options.

I never shoot anything in auto, nothing.

If you use auto iso and auto features,then you will not see any great differences between the 50d and d300.

If you feel limited by the 50d then you may want to upgrade.

To be honest. I have the 400d xti, 20d, and mark 1ds II

For the most part I hardly ever use the mark II. I use the 400d in places like the market and street shooting, where getting the camera damage or stolen
would be not that bad. I use the 20d when I need the features, full manual, and what a really good picture. I only use the mark II for studio and close session shots, macros that stuff.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well there's no reason to be buying a $2000 body if you're gonna use poor glass

I have a 5d with four Canon lenses - an f2.8 24-70, f2.8 70-200 with a 2x extender, a 20mm wide and a 15mm fish eye

One other word of advice - it's worth the money to get a top quality memory card - Hoodman all the way

The real question is - what are you going to be shooting and what are you using the pics for? If you arent planning on shooting raw - if you're just "taking pictures" instead of "photography" - you just dont need to spend upwards of 5K on a system

Last edited:

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I shoot weddings and Senior Portraits whenever I can. I have a site... www.ihbphotography.com... I am thinking of getting the D300 so I can stay in the professional bracket for weddings. I wouldn't consider my glass poor. The 1.8 lens I have is ace.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a change of mind. I seen that the little brother of the D3h is amazing. I have decided to save up and shell out the 16-1800 on the D2X... 12.4mp full frame. It looks really nice has 2 shutter release buttons which is going to come in handy.