Nijinsky's New Home

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After the various suggestion about getting Nijinsky (my A. avic) to stay of the lid of his current home, I went to town today in search of an alternative. I didn't like the idea of using the current critter carrier on its side as it is a bit rounded on the ends.

I bought a clear plastic, square, 1 gallon container with a screw on lid. When I got home I drilled a bunch of small holes along both sides and the top. Tomorrow I plan to add substrate, and a plastic plant for interest. Wish me luck on the transfer. Nijinsky races like heck any time I touch him. I'm going to make sure I have lots of room in case I need to chase him down.

Bryan

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
After the various suggestion about getting Nijinsky (my A. avic) to stay of the lid of his current home, I went to town today in search of an alternative. I didn't like the idea of using the current critter carrier on its side as it is a bit rounded on the ends.

I bought a clear plastic, square, 1 gallon container with a screw on lid. When I got home I drilled a bunch of small holes along both sides and the top. Tomorrow I plan to add substrate, and a plastic plant for interest. Wish me luck on the transfer. Nijinsky races like heck any time I touch him. I'm going to make sure I have lots of room in case I need to chase him down.

Bryan
Good luck, Bryan! IME Avics are pretty tractable; just remember they tend to go UP when startled ;)

Joy

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Is the lid flat enough for the container to stand on? If so, then your best bet may be to use the lid as the bottom of the enclosure. Hot glue decorations to the inside of the container and use the lid for keeping substrate. This way, when you open the container, the T will be in the container and not have it's home attached to the lid because, like Joy said, they go up.

Scott

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Is the lid flat enough for the container to stand on? If so, then your best bet may be to use the lid as the bottom of the enclosure. Hot glue decorations to the inside of the container and use the lid for keeping substrate. This way, when you open the container, the T will be in the container and not have it's home attached to the lid because, like Joy said, they go up.

Scott
Scott,

Actually, with the container on its side and no holes in the lid, which will not be the top anymore, I hope it will work better. If holes in the lid will help, I will add those later. As for the lid itsent, it is curved, so I couldn't set it on its lid. I plan to post a picture later when I get it all set up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bryan

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nijinsky's Transferred!

Well, I got Nijinsky's new home done and transferred him into it. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I just opened the lid of his first home (he was sitting on the lid, put the mouth of his new home to the lid and coaxed him in. He made one mad dash and he was transferred. Now he is sitting on a leaf of the fake plant I put in there and shows absolutely no interest in the lid. :) :)

Bryan