Night Photography

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I occasionally like to play around with night photography. I'm not nearly as good as I am with macro or photographing nature, but it is still fun.

If you are like taking night photos let's see them! Here are a couple that I took last night. I haven't had a chance to go some where really dark and do really long exposure times (like >2 minutes).

Attachments

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Nice work! Were you using a star filter on those top two, or is that just how they came out?

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice work! Were you using a star filter on those top two, or is that just how they came out?
Stopping down the aperture to a small setting and decreasing the exposure so they don't blow out will give you the star effect. The number of points in the star corresponds to the number of blades in the aperture. Even number of blades = same number of points. Odd number of blades = twice that number of points. Example, a 7 bladed aperture will give you 14 points while a 8 bladed aperture will only give you 8.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Stopping down the aperture to a small setting and decreasing the exposure so they don't blow out will give you the star effect. The number of points in the star corresponds to the number of blades in the aperture. Even number of blades = same number of points. Odd number of blades = twice that number of points. Example, a 7 bladed aperture will give you 14 points while a 8 bladed aperture will only give you 8.
Wow, I now feel like I know nothing about photography... :) Thanks man, I had no idea!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
I only have so many pictures available to me right now, but this one I took late last year. The photo is of Bahrain over the flight deck of the USS SAN ANTONIO. I was on another ship at the time, so the camera probably moved a tiny bit.. still came out alright though. I have some new ones I just took in Sicily but I plan on waiting till I can upload more pics to photobucket before I max out my limit on the website.

PS. Nice pictures Craig, what city is that?

Attachments

Last edited:

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa how did you do that very first pic? Do you change the shutter speed?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice shots of the city. I love Chicago at night, its gorgeous.

I know they arent the best but it was all that I could do with my digi.
This was taken in prague:

Florence

Cinque Terra

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The first is the Arc de Triumph with the Eiffel Tower in the background...the second is the Eiffel Tower...have more need to dig them up.

John
];')

Car lights

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
May I contribute?

Much older pic, when I'd just bought my camera:

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely awesome pictures everyone!! I was hoping people would contribute! I really like night photography. I even enjoy looking at night photography. You people rock! I think is so cool seeing different places you have been. And it shows them in a completely different way. Too cool!

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention the city is Chicago. The skyline pictures were taken from a pier on the lake. The traffic picture is looking north on the north ave. bridge. The bike trail is the trail right by the north ave. bridge. And the other building is the Peggy Notebaert nature museum. It is one of my fav. places to take my daughter. They have awesome inverts there. Actually all of the animals they have there are awesome. I do not know which vet sees them but all of the reptiles etc. there are always in immaculate health.

Last edited:

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree nice pics everyone, I'd like to see more. This is a great thread, I love night photos.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have a lot of night photos, but here's one that I like:
I like this photo, it is neat. I was looking at this photography magazine with reflection photography in it, and man, something about it just fascinates me.

I need to get out and try to get some nice night shots, but first, i probably need to learn a bit more beforehand about aperture and such.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here are a few more from my most recent trip to Paris in December. Paris is an awsome city to photograph at night.
If you ever manage to get there make sure you photograph it at night as well.

John
];')

Eiffel Tower Panorama. The small size at which it is shown here does not do it justice.
Unfortunately there is no way to make it larger on AB...that I know of. Below this panorama
is shown the only center section of it.

Champs Elysees all lit up for the holidays.

Ferris wheel at Place de le Concorde.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
My novice contribution,
Would have loved to get the moon in focus but I was sans tripod.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Beautiful picture of the Hancock building. I miss living there :(

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love night photography almost as much as macro photography!

Here are a few of my favorites. All were taken back in the days of film (remember that?).

The first one was taken in Colorado.
The second was from a balloon festival in Longview, TX.
The last three were taken on various ranches in South Texas.

Attachments

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are a few more that I like.

First is of a ferris wheel.
Second is from Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado.
Last is yet another windmill (I like windmills). This one has a meteorite falling from upper left to lower right in the lower center of the image.

Attachments

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a new camera today, Panasonic LX3. I need to learn how to use it, but I just took this photo out my window.

I'm amazed how well it came out considering I just set it to auto and was holding it with one hand and just put it up to the glass. This camera was designed with low-light photography in mind, so I think I'll be able to get some really cool pictures when I figure out all these weird settings :?