Night light or no night light? Which kind??

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Both of my Ts, P. murinus and G. Rosea are only active at night...... I'd like to watch them, especially the P. murinus, but I dont know what kind of light to
use. I've read both blacklight and red lights, but the only red lights I've found are infared lights that add heat, which I dont want to do, and blacklights, which I have, but some people dont recommend. which would be okay? thanks........

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use a darkroom safelight bulb.

They're deep red, and only about 7 watts so virtually no heat, and just enough red illumination to see whats goin' on in there.
:)

-Jason

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm.......never thought of a dark room bulb...... where do you get one of those? I would rather use a red bulb than a black light bulb........

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen 11 watt red bulbs for sale at Lowes before, for like $3.

Wade

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dark room bulbs are red. Deep red. ;)

Avoid any darkroom bulbs that say "OC" (stands for orange color)

Um, as fare as where to get one, Do you have any photography supply stores in your area? Place that sells cameras usually has darkroom equipment also.

You can also get them online. Check B&H camera Here

Or adorama Here

search for safelight bulbs. Safelab Jr. is a good choice, Bulb runs about 10$

-Jason

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess this oughta teach me from shopping at the pet store for these things.......*L* I think I'll go to Lowes in a little bit........ I was hoping to come across something that would fit into an 18 inch fixture, do they only make incandescent red lights?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think they make colored flourecent bulbs, but you might be able to find some sort of filter that would color the light red.

Wade

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We might have a photo supply store around here, I'll have to check....... Thanks for the tip, about the safe light thing....... I just want a light that wont annoy the pi** out of my tarantula's at night. I want to observe them as naturally as I can. The room I keep them in has no light at all at night.......

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another idea might be one of those red LED flashlights.. Just a thought. :)

-Jason

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your going to a photography store you could try getting some red plastic sheet filter to make a filtered shade for a flourecent filter. I don't know how much it sells for anymore.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
personally, Ive never tried it, But i havnt read anything explicitly saying dont use it either.

Might be interesting. :)

-Jason

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well then I'll just set up a study....... I'll use the black light one night, and the red light the next and see which causes the least disturbance, and that's the one I'll use!!:) When I switch on the blacklight at night it doesn't make either of them bolt for cover....... But I'll try red tonight and see if they move around a bit more than with the blacklight.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by HerpInvertGirl
We might have a photo supply store around here, I'll have to check....... Thanks for the tip, about the safe light thing....... I just want a light that wont annoy the pi** out of my tarantula's at night. I want to observe them as naturally as I can. The room I keep them in has no light at all at night.......

Hey, HerpInvertGirl,

I run a business in the same building as Sam's photography studio in Madisonville. (he owns the building). I have to go to work in a little while anyway, I will ask him about the dark room bulb and let you know what he says. He might have one you can buy, and if so I will find out how much. I will post as soon as I find something out.

Ali

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pharmacy? HUH? LOL There isn't a pharmacy over there. I think Im confused now

Ali

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bluegrass Pharmacy is over in that area, right? *L* I know where you are talking about, over by the Pantry and Mcdonalds? Hee hee, what business is it?

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK, I just talked to Sam. He said he is pretty sure he has one, but he didn't know where it was. He is gonna look for it. (I said it was for me. I think he is just gonna give it to me, and if so, you can have it.) He said if he can't find it, he will order me one next time he orders supplies. I am sure he will let me have it at cost (not sure how much, but I will check). So, either way he can get one.

He is supposed to look for the one he has and let me know something tomarrow.

Ali

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If you don't want to be so fancy, Maglite sells a kit with a rubber sleeve and a red lens for about 5 bucks that goes on any 2AA Mini-maglite..

Bill