Nice centipede from Maluku, Indonesia :)

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ladies and Gentlemans... I would like to introduce you... Ethmostigmus rubripes platycephalus (Newport, 1845)! :)
Adult specimen (~16cm BL) caught few days ago by me, on Seram island, Maluku, east Indonesia.

Specimen IDed with A. Schileyko & V. Stagl - 2004 -The collection of scolopendromorph Centipedes (Chilopoda) in the Natural History Museum in Vienna: a critical re-evaluation of former taxonomic identifications.

Full body

Head close-up

Spiracles on T7&T8

- "Antennae (...) with 17 - 20 antennomeres, of which four basal ones are glabrous dorsally and three ventrally"
- "Forcipules: tooth plates with three teeth, of which median one often bears the trace of fusion of two 'primary' teeth"

I wasn't able to make any good shot of coxopleural processes, but trust me, they are VERY long.
"coxopleural process (...) about three times as long as sternum XXI."
Unfortunately was able only to catch 1 specimen. It's raining season now over here, all 'crawly creepers' are hidden.

Best regards!
Greg Pelka

Last edited:

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Nice centipede! I love the way it's legs are two-toned. :biggrin:

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Beauty. Too bad there's 100 reasons why american hobbyists will NEVER own one :( enjoy it though.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! So amazing. Love the colors, proportions, even looks good without a "ring furrow" which I usually prefer... Get me one too, K?

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow! This is a very beautiful pede! Maybe the most exclusive in the world right now! Congratz greg!
Cheers
Carles