Nhandu valpinus

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok my brazilian giant blonde hasnt been out for the last two weeks (like a 100% at all) the last time I seen him ( 3 or so weeks ago) his abdomen was really dark i guess that's a molting sign..should I be worried? should I try to dig him out of there? leave him alone?..the water bowl is directly outside his hide so even if he's weak he's strong enough get water...

-worried

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is there any sign he's eating? I'd try giving a test cricket and seeing if it mysteriously disappears.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there any sign he's eating? I'd try giving a test cricket and seeing if it mysteriously disappears.

If he is still in premolt, intermolt or post molt I don't want to introduce food because it may kill, damage him....

is that the only way to see?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok my brazilian giant blonde hasnt been out for the last two weeks (like a 100% at all) the last time I seen him ( 3 or so weeks ago) his abdomen was really dark i guess that's a molting sign..should I be worried? should I try to dig him out of there? leave him alone?..the water bowl is directly outside his hide so even if he's weak he's strong enough get water...

-worried
I would leave it alone. It has buried itself because it feels more secure in it's burrow. I have 10 3" Nhandu vulpinus juveniles that I have been raising since they where 1/4" and I've found that the slings will remain buried until they put on some size to them. All of mine still remain hidden 40% of the time and when they are in premolt I almost never see them until they molt.

You have the right idea on the water bowl and long as it has access to it when it decides to make an appearance then you should have no problems.

Brian

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Unless you have a clever way of seeing him without digging him up, I don't personally have a better way. You can always wait a bit more - but your writing here implies you want a quick answer.

I guess he'll come out when he's ready... if he's really hungry, he'll move and emerge. If there's water there, I think he'll be fine.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unless you have a clever way of seeing him without digging him up, I don't personally have a better way. You can always wait a bit more - but your writing here implies you want a quick answer.

I guess he'll come out when he's ready... if he's really hungry, he'll move and emerge. If there's water there, I think he'll be fine.
ok so this time next week I'll throw a cricket in over night...if its still there in the morning... i'll take out then wait two more weeks... so i'll wait one more week before i introduce food, then if the food is there the next morning i'll take that out and wait two more weeks.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like a way forward for me.

(Did you like that use of 'way forward'? It was very management-esque, wasn't it)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Speak of the devil...I just went in there last night and he came out looked around now he is sitting at the burrow of his entrace...Food?...relaxing????:? :confused:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
has he molted? if not, you can try and feed him. if yes, i'd wait at least a week before offering food, so he has plenty of time to harden properly.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nah he is still the same so I put in two crickets and I'm going to take them out tonight at 8pm.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Low and behold when i went into check on my N. valpinus he was cleaning out his hide and i found his exoskeleton well a few pieces of it near the entrance of the hide...of course he didnt leave the piece out i need to determine the sex and since it was really crunchy to the touch that means it has been in there for a few days even a week... I'll take a picture when I get a chance to..for the time being he's stayin really close to his burrow.

thnaks everyone who had some thoughts & opinions and gave them to this post its greatly appreciated and as as i can tell he's has molted 100% without issues. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: