Nhandu handling

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was interested in holding one of my Ts. The only one I'd even try is my Nhandu Vulpinus..Is there anyone out there who holds any species from the Nhandu genus?....Are these guys ok to try to hold just once or twice???

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hold my 6" N.coloratovillosus every now and then. Once I get her out of her enclosure, she calms right down. Inside the enclosure....use tongs. :D Mine is quite bitey when disturbed. I get the spider outside her tank by inducing her, with tongs, to climb up the glass, and out onto my hand. Once there, she is pretty tractable.

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hold'em all

I agree, get them out of the cage then try to get them onto the substrate/hand :8o (you pray your spider feels it is substrate also)
I would wait until you are alone, and very quit.
If the spider falls it may die so be careful about dropping, and they suck at climbing.
tarantula bites arent as bad as some would have you think, the worst part about it is the fact that this little creature bit you and wanted to hurt you. For me the thought of this is the worst part of the actual bit itself. If you are allergic it could really suck, so be careful, I found out the hard way that Im not.
I have a friend who poked himself with a pin to pysch himslef up a little so the bit its self wouldnt shock him so bad if it happened, he never got bitten but he says it helps for mental preparation, why not right? give it a shot! I personally just say to my self: "be the substrate" over and over again in my mind.
Also they are moody, if they give you a snippy vibe then maybe better to try again another day.
Temperature is also a factor, I find they are more likley to go ape shit when its warm in my room rather than a little chillier, say a good 68-72 as apposed to the appropriate temp of 75-78 room temp. Not really sure about the exact temps there but if its chilly they are usually a little calmer.
I have also had better luck with older spiders, its seems once they have been full grown for a couple of years they tend to calm down a little, as apposed to the smaller younger ones who are smaller and probbaly would pack less sting, but they are also more apt to get defensive.
Getting my N.chromatos out of the cage is a chore, she bites the tongs al least once every time just for good measure, then In a moment of pure briliance I put my hand on the edge of her cage and in most cases she will crawl right on. In my experience if a bite is going to happen it is in the first couple minutes of the spider being bothered in there cage, after you get them out just be careful not to drop them.
Remember spiders are defensive, not usually agressive, they bit if they feel scared, provoked and threstened. Just annoying them usually wont get you bit, and the trick is not to get them annoyed at all, I personally dont like it when they stop moving, that is when you get bit and as luck would have it its always right on those juicy under wrist veins.
When you see a threat display on your arm, plan on getting bit, so try to make a place for the spider to dart off too when you see the threat display.
and last but not least, if you really want to hold a spider get one that is nice, Nhandu's arent this species, I hold mine only when I really feel like playing with fire, the rush you get is sweet though, just try not to hurt the bug.
I have a chaco that actually likes and desires to be held from what I can see, every time I pull the cage top off she crawls out to say hello and usually directly towards my hand rather than the other direction, her favorite spot is on my bare neck, I dont know why maybe she is just waiting for the right moment to really put it on me but if I let her she will sit there for hours?:8o

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yep, I've done it. No problem. Whether or not you're capable, thats not my or anyone else's place to say. It is very possible to handle ANY species of spider. Its up to the individual hobbyist to make the call. Always keep the safety of the spider as utmost priority. Be careful, and have fun.

Oh, and remember, beware the urticating hairs.

-Sean

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dont know this Nhandu species well, but i have handled my Big female Apophysis one time, the only thing i got out of that was an immediate threat display right when she was ON my hand, so she was quickly shipped back, and i for sure wont try that again:D

But are they worse tempered?

If they are, i would definately not recommend handling them;)

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont know this Nhandu species well, but i have handled my Big female Apophysis one time, the only thing i got out of that was an immediate threat display right when she was ON my hand, so she was quickly shipped back, and i for sure wont try that again:D

But are they worse tempered?

If they are, i would definately not recommend handling them;)
Why did you ship it back? Those size bird eaters arent suppose to be held and that is normal for them to display threats lol you should have kept it or shipped it out to me...

FRom the looks of my baby it would rather run and hide never a threat display of any sort. so she doesnt have much of a temper.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if noone is going to bring it up I will, THEY ITCH!!!!!!, worse than any other, barring T. apophisys IMO, I have bloodied myself on more than one occasion due to the hairs of N vulpinus, and although they are a bit skittish I have held my share, I do not, ever, hold them anymore since my alergy has manifested it just is not worth it, I've been sitting here just scratching at the thought of the hairs of the ourangutang {sp}of the tarantula world, I call it that because of the similarity in color and deffinately not because of its prowess in the trees, they tend to be a bit clumsey if not on solid ground as well so watch it close and dont let it fall, and I warned you on the hairs, didnt I ? not fun, PEACE, B.

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why did you ship it back? Those size bird eaters arent suppose to be held and that is normal for them to display threats lol you should have kept it or shipped it out to me...

FRom the looks of my baby it would rather run and hide never a threat display of any sort. so she doesnt have much of a temper.
I was willing to try to get those fangs in my fingers, is it a good reason? :D

It was just a thing i wanted to try one time;-) I never do t again, my "little lady" has a hot temper:D

Let us now how it goes if you take her up!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Haps are always ready to throwdown especially my H. hainanum, as an experiment I once took a Q-tip in my tweezers and tapped it gently against there silk layered burrow entrance and she bothered to crawl the whole length of the burrow and strike and throw displayed fangs at me. I know that was probably kinda mean but I enjoyed seeing.

Generally, I don't have any I can handle really but my L parahybana would be tempting but she likes to kick a couple of hairs and take one or two steps in another direction. And when I change her water after cleaning her waterdish if she is nearby when I refill it she'll pounce toward the waterdish only to be disappointed in receiving waterspray in the face rather than a prey item.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if noone is going to bring it up I will, THEY ITCH!!!!!!, worse than any other, barring T. apophisys IMO, I have bloodied myself on more than one occasion due to the hairs of N vulpinus, and although they are a bit skittish I have held my share, I do not, ever, hold them anymore since my alergy has manifested it just is not worth it, I've been sitting here just scratching at the thought of the hairs of the ourangutang {sp}of the tarantula world, I call it that because of the similarity in color and deffinately not because of its prowess in the trees, they tend to be a bit clumsey if not on solid ground as well so watch it close and dont let it fall, and I warned you on the hairs, didnt I ? not fun, PEACE, B.

Honestly, the hairs don't really bother me. I've handled my Nhandu quite a bit, and had clumps of hair flicked directly on me, and it doesn't do much. It might be because I don't scratch right after a hairing--I blow the hairs away, then rinse the area under running water. It seems to remove 90% of the hairs, and prevent a bad itch. But then I don't have the hair allergy either, so I'm sure that helps. I've heard that their hairs are among the worst, but if my personal experience is representative, then I can't say it's much of a deterrent to handling if you want to hold it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll be watching the bite reports to see how this one turns out. LOL :)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was interested in holding one of my Ts. The only one I'd even try is my Nhandu Vulpinus..Is there anyone out there who holds any species from the Nhandu genus?....Are these guys ok to try to hold just once or twice???
I would say that if your tarantula allows it then I'd go ahead and try. Just be sure not to get bit. Every individual is different but IME with the Nhandu genus they tend to be a little more skittish and defensive.

I also wouldn't handle specimens of any species that is 7"+ in size. Reason being it's just too much to risk if an accidental fall happens.