nhandu cromatus acting weird?

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi all

i have a large nhandu chromatus.
had it for 6 months ish.
hasnt molted in that time, although every tarantula i have bought in the last 6 months has molted as soon as i have got it home.. must be the wether?
just bought a thialand black which is missing a leg and looks like she is in pre molt also, she has splits on her legs..

anyway...
my nhandu is walking around his/hers tank alot recently.
im not sure what sex it is, its very long legged so i think male but it dosnt have tribel hooks, does this species have them, coz its very large so it must be an adult.
iff it is a male i would think maybe he is ya know looking for a good lay ;)

just not sure...
opinions?
how do your nhandus act?

never had this species before, didnt even know it was an agressive T untill its name came up on the thread of top 10 most agressive T,s.
because mine isnt really that pissy, well it does sometimes threat pose but seriosly i held him when i first got him.. :S

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
p.s
heh i just have to tell you all this because i think its amazing.

my cat managed to jump up onto his tank and thus caused it to fall from a great hight, i know because when i came home i found his tank on the floor and a load of soil all over the floor but no spider :O
we looked everywhere and found no sign of him/her for 2 weeks :(
i thought it must be dead or will die, or cat will find it and one of them will get hurt.
anyway about 3 weeks later i found the tarantula in one of my shoes about one foot away from where the tank had fell :p
exacually the distence the tarantula manual book said it would proberly be found :D
the spider was absolutly fine, not dehidrated, no limbs missing, didnt seem taramatised.
i coudnt beleive how hardy it was.

anyway thought id share that :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does the Nhandu have bulbous pedipalps?

BTW, glad you found the spider. :)

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i checked.. there same size as its other toes.
not bulbus.

do males of this species have hooks?
once they mature yes. if you could post a pciture of the underside of its adbodmen or a pic of its molt iam sure someone could tell ya real fast

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well when it molts.
hasnt molted yet.
its mature im sure, he/she is at least 5-6 inches.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
well when it molts.
hasnt molted yet.
its mature im sure, he/she is at least 5-6 inches.
If it's male then it's not mature yet. As mentioned before a mature male will have bulbous palps and tibial hooks. Like people said, get a decent clear ventral shot and we can hazard a guess... or learn to do it yourself if you can't get a decent shot. For reference, here my female.

Also, I have a female about 5". and she has bouts of climbing/walking around everywhere for no reason too. It usually lasts from about a day or two to a week. I've had her a year and she's had the wanderlust about 3 times. Perhaps in the wild they may wander to find/make new burrows ocasionally? Who knows.
I'd say it's normal though, assuming you've done nothng to change her environment or something along those lines. No worries, as long as the sub level is high enough to prevent possible injuries from falls.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks.
she is in a shallow tank so no chance she will fall
im thinking she is female now.
if i can ill put a picture up in the sexing thread oneday.

but thanks for info :)