nhandu coloratovilossus care

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
anyone has kept this sp. pls give some info about their
-temps and humidity
-moist or dry substrate?
-growth rates
-temperament
any info given will be greatly appreciated, i am thinking of getting one as my 3rd t

p.s im getting a sling so pls add info on slings of this sp also:)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantula are very adept at adapting to the habitat we provide for them, they'r much better at dealing with drops in temperatures and humidity than mamals and reptiles. So, getting the environment to replicate their natural habitat isn't as important, and oddly enough can sometimes prove fatal.

Ive kept three of these from slings to sub-adult, my care for them has changed due to the general care in my spider room but currently:
75F+
off dry substrate with a weekly pour of water onto half the substrate
growth bursts - not very fast growers but not terribly slow, similar to Brachypelma I'd guess
skittish, but fast. Not as aggressive as N. chromatus

Slings should always have access to moisture, just a light spray will do and fed twice a week with a cricket similar to the size of the abdomen.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus is a very easy specie to keep. They grow fast, up to 6 inches. (7 would be rare, but possible). They are nervous when younger but older females mellow a lot. Younger specimens tend to kick hairs if bothered, but my older females never do. The hairs of this specie don't bother me much. They are good eaters, stay out in the open a lot and take a variety of living conditions. I keep mine on a mix of peat and potting soil. I provide a hide which they tend to adapt to. I always have a water dish available but rarely see them use it. I have the substrate moistened in one part of the tank and the majority dry. They tend to stay on the dry side. I put an upside down plastic deli cup in my tank for this specie and most will sit on the plastic deli for much of the day. They will grow faster with higher temps but I keep mine at room temperature which right now is about 68 degress F. They are still eating and growing but likely prefer temps closer to 80 degrees. In the summer mine eat more and grow faster. Optimally, I would recommend good ventilation with high humidity and temps about 80, but they will do quite well with less than optimum conditions.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 7 incher, a 4 year-old female. They do best kept above 65 F, but I find mine is most active adn hungry when she's in the upper 70s F. As for humidity, keep the substrate semi-moist. These aren't like a Ephebopus or Avicularia--they don't need steamy rainforest humidity, but they need more than, say a Brachy or G. rosea. They're Brazilian, but not Amazonian I think.

That said, they're actually quite hardy, and a brief dry or cool spell isn't going to hurt them. Long-term, though, you want to keep them hydrated with humidity and a water dish. Food is the biggest thing for N. colorato, though, as they are VORACIOUS. Seriously, they can't pack away enough food. They also get a lot of moisture from their--frequent--feedings. Mine is a hearty vertebrate feeder, if you're into that.

Defensiveness? Well...yes, they're defensive, but I find that mine is half-and-half testy and shy. Outside her enclosure she won't give me a threat display, although she does occasionally fluff some hairs my way when handled. Inside her tank it's a different story: she will often give me fangs, or the four-legged "finger" if I disturb her. Then again, sometimes she gives the the threat display, but when I continue to prod her she doesn't strike but runs away. Sometimes she makes good on her threats and strikes ( and chews) my tongs, other times she is all bluff.

Basically, they're not to be trusted--don't take the threat display lightly, because you never know when she means it, and she has some wicked long fangs ( .5 inches long...ouch). Don't EVER get one close to your face, as they have some of the worst hairs of any T, and they have nooooo problem letting you have them.

I find mine has a lot of "personality." She's a really fun T to have--shes' active, hungry, and testy enough to keep you on your toes, but not too testy to keep me from handling her outside her tank where she calms down ( because T's are territorial, and generally are less defensive outside "their turf," i.e., the enclosure). Inside the tank it's all tongs and no touchie. My 7 inch lady is fast, despite her bulk. I don't take chances getting too close to her business end inside the tank.

My specimen likes to climb, and has the disturbing habit of trying to chew through her screen lid at night, regardless of how well fed she is. She hangs upside down from the wire mesh, and pushes and pulls on it with her fangs--which is a weird, and somewhat creepy sound to hear at night. She's...odd, but lots of fun.