Nhandu Coloratovillosus

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
I received couple of spiders in a mystery box (never had spiders before) but there was one called Nhandu Coloratovillosus which is very slow moving even when trying to touch him it seems that he doesn't react much. This is not the case with the other six spiders which made me think that Nhandu Coloratovillosus is sick :depressed:. What would you advice me? Also, I've read that spiders must be given food everyday so they can grow faster but mine ate the first day and from then on they refuse eating. What can I do about this problem?

Attachments

Eiki

Arachnopeon
Also, I've read that spiders must be given food everyday so they can grow faster
Who told you that? Adults should eat 2-3 times a month at maximum.
Very slow moving even when trying to touch him it seems that he doesn't react much
Probably is stressed from the travel, give it water (in a form of a water dish) and leave in the dark for like a day or more for it to recover.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It may also be heading up to a molt. Did this one eat at all since it arrived ? Best thing to do is to provide them water and leave them be for a week or so so they get a chance to acclimate to their new surroundings. Whoever told that they have to eat everyday knows little about them. Every 2 weeks or even once a month is enough.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Why would an adult tarantula need to grow fast? The daily feeding is nonsense; even a tiny spiderling only needs to be fed twice a week max. Just put your new friend in their enclosure with a water dish and I'm sure they will settle.

Why did you opt for 6 different spiders at once if you haven't owned any before? What are the other species you got?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Why order a mystery box? That was quite irresponsible considering you are new to spiders. As neon said, you should let us see what others were in there because you’re going to need some pointers looking at this post.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Why would an adult tarantula need to grow fast? The daily feeding is nonsense; even a tiny spiderling only needs to be fed twice a week max. Just put your new friend in their enclosure with a water dish and I'm sure they will settle.

Why did you opt for 6 different spiders at once if you haven't owned any before? What are the other species you got?
I just ordered a mystery box and this is what I found inside 🤷‍♂️ 2 larger spiders and the rest were so tiny making it very hard to find any food matching their size. I try to catch very small flies. The Shop didn’t include any food or instructions! Then I tried to get some advice from Facebook Groups but people started posting hate comments saying that’s not the way to handle spiders etc and yeah … I am just trying to find my way of going about it

My spi

My spiders are very little! They are not adults at all. But I will take the advice on giving them food twice a week. Hopefully they grow fast. Thank you 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I just ordered a mystery box and this is what I found inside 🤷‍♂️ 2 larger spiders and the rest were so tiny making it very hard to find any food matching their size. I try to catch very small flies. The Shop didn’t include any food or instructions! Then I tried to get some advice from Facebook Groups but people started posting hate comments saying that’s not the way to handle spiders etc and yeah … I am just trying to find my way of going about it
What species are they? You can feed them prekilled crickets or roaches or whatever other feeder you can get ahold of. I would not catch food for them because of the risk of pesticides. Slings will scavenge feed.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Ok, so do you have crickets? That's probably going to be the easiest way. What enclosures have you got them set up in currently?

The shop wouldn't send you instructions or food , it's the responsibility of the buyer to know about the animal they are buying beforehand.

So to start, what species have they sent you?

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Ordering a mystery box with no experience is incredibly irresponsible. Moving forward...go to a pet store and get a fruit fly culture or order one online. Do not feed your pets wild caught anything.

Very curious as to what species you received and highly recommend thoroughly researching them using the search function on this website. Good luck...

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
My spi

My spiders are very little! They are not adults at all. But I will take the advice on giving them food twice a week. Hopefully they grow fast. Thank you 🙏
Depending on the species they may grow fast or slow. Feeding tarantulas isn't as rigid a schedule like a cat or a dog.

Spiderlings can be fed once or twice a week

Juveniles can be fed weekly or once a fortnight

Adults can be fed once or twice a month

It really depends on how much you give them at a time

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Ordering a mystery box with no experience is incredibly irresponsible. Moving forward...go to a pet store and get a fruit fly culture or order one online. Do not feed your pets wild caught anything.

Very curious as to what species you received and highly recommend thoroughly researching them using the search function on this website. Good luck...
I received one very beautiful orange spider and the rest are just black and brown.

Why order a mystery box? That was quite irresponsible considering you are new to spiders. As neon said, you should let us see what others were in there because you’re going to need some pointers looking at this post.
I received only one orange spider and the others are not very interesting but here they are. When taking the pictures one of the spiders was eating 😅

Ok, so do you have crickets? That's probably going to be the easiest way. What enclosures have you got them set up in currently?

The spider shop wouldn't send you instructions or food , it's the responsibility of the buyer to know about the animal they are buying beforehand.

So to start, what species have they sent you?
I got them wax warms but they are too big for them so I try to find smaller pray in the garden. Crickets are too big for them 🙈

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Almost all spiderlings are brown when they are young. Seriously though, we need to know the SPECIES of the spiders you received before we can help. Please tell me you made a note of which ones were which before you housed them.

I got them wax warms but they are too big for them so I try to find smaller pray in the garden. Crickets are too big for them 🙈
Do not feed them anything from the garden. If you cut the wax worms up they will scavenge feed. Same if you bought crickets

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
I received one very beautiful orange spider and the rest are just black and brown.
That is a D pentaloris and it is going to need substrate and ventilation and not an arboreal enclosure.

I received only one orange spider and the others are not very interesting but here they are. When taking the pictures one of the spiders was eating 😅
All your enclosures are going to need ventilation and get the substrate to fill up 2/3 of the enclosure, if a t falls it can damage its abdomen.

Then I tried to get some advice from Facebook Groups but people started posting hate comments saying that’s not the way to handle spiders etc and yeah … I am just trying to find my way of going about it
Don't handle tarantulas, it doesn't benefit them in any sort of way.

Don't get substrate or feeders from outside, as @Neonblizzard said, you can cut them into smaller pieces to feed to the smaller slings.

I recommend that you get researching. You spiders depend on it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
That is a D pentaloris and it is going to need substrate and ventilation and not an arboreal enclosure.

All your enclosures are going to need ventilation and get the substrate to fill up 2/3 of the enclosure, if a t falls it can damage its abdomen.

Don't handle tarantulas, it doesn't benefit them in any sort of way.

Don't get substrate or feeders from outside, as @Neonblizzard said, you can cut them into smaller pieces to feed to the smaller slings.

I recommend that you get researching. You spiders depend on it.
Thank you for wading in! There's just too much to unpack for one AB user

Oh yes I didn’t think of that before but now I know and will do it. Tanks 🙏
One more time... Please... What species did you receive?? You can't give them the proper care they need if you don't know what they are. And we can't help if you don't tell us.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Almost all spiderlings are brown when they are young. Seriously though, we need to know the SPECIES of the spiders you received before we can help. Please tell me you made a note of which ones were which before you housed them.
I have the names written on the bottles they came with so I will look at videos on YouTube. However, I do not touch them by hand so even if they are venomous I keep good distance.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
One more time... Please... What species did you receive?? You can't give them the proper care they need if you don't know what they are. And we can't help if you don't tell us.
I have the names written on the bottles they came with so I will look at videos on YouTube. However, I do not touch them by hand so even if they are venomous I keep good distance.
And you can definitely remember which bottle was which? Like you can look at each spider in its enclosure and know which one was which?

Please post what the species are here. Its highly unlikely you'll find good information on YouTube. Use the boards.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yeah. No one would really order a mystery box as their first spiders and keep them in those enclosures with no ventilation right?