Nhandu coloratovillosus vs. nhandu chromatus vs. Acanthoscurria geniculata

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All three are a piece of cake to handle. The Nhandus are a bit skittish, but I let my 5 year old daughter handle them as well as the genic. And, no, I don't allow her to handle everything in my collection.

--the nature boy

lol, yeah.. they aren't the most aggressive but they are impressive. i agree about the handling, i handled my genic female, she was about 6.5"... and all that happened was my hands were itchier than heck. but not all are like that, i've had roseas that were more defensive than some obt's i had. lol

therefore, i'd go with geniculata if you had to only get one.

-dan-

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ohhhh...a threat display! So cute! So...well, that's about it. Let's see the shots of her charging towards you...repeatedly striking an object leaving fang marks and venom...you know, the fun stuff!

--the nature boy
That pic was actually almost the very scenario you describe. When I opened the lid she charged from her burrow to where you see her and tagged the lid, actually scratching my fingertip in the process. (The closest i've been to an actual bite, there was zero envenomation, btw.) I shut the lid, checked my tiny wound, grabbed my camera then snapped a quick pic. She's like this just about all the time.

Maybe I should get her on video...

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That pic was actually almost the very scenario you describe. When I opened the lid she charged from her burrow to where you see her and tagged the lid, actually scratching my fingertip in the process. (The closest i've been to an actual bite, there was zero envenomation, btw.) I shut the lid, checked my tiny wound, grabbed my camera then snapped a quick pic. She's like this just about all the time.

Maybe I should get her on video...
Mine is similar, always good for a theatrical production. She does calm right down when we handle her, though.

--the nature boy

mikie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all your advice, very useful and informative.
At first, Im not sure if I have chosen the right T - Nhandu Coloratovillosus.
I like to handle Ts. I got a B.Smithi & Greenbottle Blue which I handle quite often. May be the N.C. is the right step towards the semi-docile ones. By the way, any experience of N.C. biites, nasty bite ?
Thanks again

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all your advice, very useful and informative.
At first, Im not sure if I have chosen the right T - Nhandu Coloratovillosus.
I like to handle Ts. I got a B.Smithi & Greenbottle Blue which I handle quite often. May be the N.C. is the right step towards the semi-docile ones. By the way, any experience of N.C. biites, nasty bite ?
Thanks again
I own one and she has never went into the threat posture. I AM NOT sayin' it will not bite!

mikie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus

Yesterday when I checked it, it molted. Still very active, wandering around.
When should I start to feed it. BTW, I want to know if it is a male or female.

Last edited:

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can't tell from this angle. You need either the molt skin (more accurate) or pic of the underside (less accurate).

mikie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus

when its fangs harden and turn black! a week or probably longer i would guess...
Today, I tried it with a cricket and he ate it. Later, I found the fangs are still red. Will I hurt it ? I guess if he took it, it should be O.K. Shall I try another cricket tomorrow ?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He ate it, fangs are still red, and you still want to feed more????

Wait another week!!!

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today, I tried it with a cricket and he ate it. Later, I found the fangs are still red. Will I hurt it ? I guess if he took it, it should be O.K. Shall I try another cricket tomorrow ?

Sounds like you might be answering your own question here......

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would say go for the Nhandu coloratovillosus. i have a big female and she is always out chillen where i can see her. my MM male is skittish and defensive but the female is really calm and lets me handle her all the time

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yesterday when I checked it, it molted. Still very active, wandering around.
When should I start to feed it. BTW, I want to know if it is a male or female.
can't say for sure but i have both and it looks much more like the male

adele:)

Arachnopeon
Hello all,I have a nahandu Chromatus and i love her she is awesome,My partner bought her as a brazilian white knee:wall: Bless
She is out a fair bit,She doesnt like me much though :eek:

ekul

Arachnopeon
i have a chance to get a 1/2 genic. or a 3/4 chromatus (slightly more expensive)
i'd also like to be able to handle them both
which one please reply fast

BLinKin

Arachnopeon
My big N. Color. has never been to shy, she is always out of her den waiting for her next meal. When she attacks hers meals you can feel the vibration of her thumping across the tank, its quite amazing. I haven't Owned a genic. or a Chrom., So my vote goes for the Coloratovillosus!

sierra53

Arachnopeon
I have a 2.5" chrom...never had one before i will say its a slow grower, unless you power feed them i guess they could go through molts faster but mine has been as about fast at brachys grow maybe even slower. Just molted colors are nice with nice white bands around the legs. to me temperment has been about the same as my B.vegans,or B. emilia nothing real crazy but since its still a sling i will see. And is always out dosnet want to burrow much, that may be becuase i have not offered it much space to burrow in . Next cage will be deeper and let him/her burrow , yes it will eat just about any size crix i put in the cage.