Nhandu chromatus?

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My cousin got a Nhandu chromatus for his birthday today from his sister. He has never had a T before and this will be his first, its about 1" bought it for $50 at a LPS in a mall. he described it to me and i found a picture of a sling and they look how he said his looked, so I'm pretty sure thats what it is. AND my cousin doesnt have inter right now so im trying to get some info on it for him. What can you guess tell me?

How Big do they get? I read one place that said 2.5" and one they said 7".....thats a big difference can anyone clear this up?

Last edited:

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
My cousin got a Nhandu chromatus for his birthday today from his sister. He has never had a T before and this will be his first, its about 1" bought it for $50 at a LPS in a mall. he described it to me and i found a picture of a sling and they look how he said his looked, so I'm pretty sure thats what it is. AND my cousin doesnt have inter right now so im trying to get some info on it for him. What can you guess tell me?

How Big do they get? I read one place that said 2.5" and one they said 7".....thats a big difference can anyone clear this up?
5-6"

http://www.beccastarantulas.com/tarantulas/caresheets/care page.htm

I like this link for quick simple info.

Wow $50 for a 1" chromatus is pretty steep.

grayhound

Arachnosquire

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've raised mine from .25 inch sling and have kept them like obligate burrowers... they are both 4.5 inches right now (1 male the other female) and live in intricate burrows with multiple entrances. They have both grown at the same rate the male usaully molts 1-3 days before the female.

Temperature: 80-85 degress (Farenheit)
Humidity: 75-80 %

They love to burrow and should be given enough substrate to do so. And to give you an idea of their growth rate:

09-15-09: .5 inch
10-16-09
12-11-09
01-10-10
02-17-10
03-22-10
05-24-10
09-16-10
02-15-11: 4.5 inches

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol yeah i did some searching last night and found a 2.5inch for $35.00, from now on I'm just going to tell him if he wants to order Ts just call and we'll pool. So is it a ok T for a beginner? Can you handle them at all? I read they are semi-aggressive. To me it sounds like some days you can and some you can't.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Lol yeah i did some searching last night and found a 2.5inch for $35.00, from now on I'm just going to tell him if he wants to order Ts just call and we'll pool. So is it a ok T for a beginner? Can you handle them at all? I read they are semi-aggressive. To me it sounds like some days you can and some you can't.
From the link I posted above

Typical terrestrial care - 5 gallon aquarium with hide, substrate, and water dish. This species tends to be slightly defensive/nervous and will readily kick hairs. Not necessarily one for handling!

I've read that its a good bridge to old world species as far was attitude.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I got a big ol' 7+ inch chromatus, but she is definetly a bit bigger than average. You are right too about handling: some days she doesn't want to be bothered and some days I can hold her fine. I get big mean threat displays and lots of slaps maybe half the time I try to touch her, so always tap her butt with something & see how she reacts before you decide to handle yours(when she gets bigger anyway).
I keep humidity 70%-80% with substrate a little deeper than normal, as she likes to really dig in under her hide. Other than that, they are pretty standard as far as care goes.
They are a great T & I think you guys will be pleased. Always up to something & one of the most beautiful terrestrials IMO. Good luck :D

nan log.jpg

nan bed.jpg

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
The sling could be anything really. Almost all slings look the same. I got my N.chromatus, which was nearly 3 inches at the time, for $35, which admittedly is a really good deal imo. Tell your cousin to do a lot of research so he doesn't waste his 50 dollars.

--Dan

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
I got a big ol' 7+ inch chromatus, but she is definetly a bit bigger than average. You are right too about handling: some days she doesn't want to be bothered and some days I can hold her fine. I get big mean threat displays and lots of slaps maybe half the time I try to touch her, so always tap her butt with something & see how she reacts before you decide to handle yours(when she gets bigger anyway).
I keep humidity 70%-80% with substrate a little deeper than normal, as she likes to really dig in under her hide. Other than that, they are pretty standard as far as care goes.
They are a great T & I think you guys will be pleased. Always up to something & one of the most beautiful terrestrials IMO. Good luck :D

View attachment 89210

View attachment 89211
Very gorgeous;)
Did you raise her from a sling?

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
I dont really recommend that you handle your N. Chromatus. They are kinda defensive and flicks hair easily... $50 bucks for a sling?... Kinda steep price.... But any how, its a very beaitiful T... One of my personal favorites....

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well its not my N. Chromatus, my cousin doesnt have internet, so he has no way to get information on them. Thats where I come in :D. It sounds like this T will be good for his first

grayhound

Arachnosquire
great starter

Well its not my N. Chromatus, my cousin doesnt have internet, so he has no way to get information on them. Thats where I come in :D. It sounds like this T will be good for his first
I think it is a great starter T.....for someone who wants a really beautiful T to start....... however like mentioned above.... they are skittish and flick a LOT of hairs. I just got my two 2.5" a week ago, and when transferring them, I got hairs in my forearm and threat postures from both. They eventually settled down though, and the transfers went well.

Just my two cents... I started with a B Smithi, and wouldnt change that decision for anything! Gorgeous T, and fairly docile. She has her times when she hides, but for the most part she is out in view, and eats like a horse!!

Same with my 2nd T...... B Boehmei. Gorgeous and easy to keep.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
N. Chromatus is a good starter T..

semi defensive though.. i wouldn't dare touch it (well i'm not really a fan of handling T's even those handleable ones).. most of them flicks urticating hairs like crazy..

but his sister paid a hefty sum.. slings here cost less than $10..

they get big.. around 6-7in. and they grow fast.. :D

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah 50 for a 1" sling is pretty high. If he would have told me, I could have ordered him a 2.5" for 35.