Nhandu chromatus violent eating habits

Tremors

Arachnopeon
I have never seen a tarantula attack a prey item with such ferocity. I have him on a feeding regime of three times per week, but I know he would eat more if I offered it to him. I don't want to "glutenize" him.

Is this typical eating habits for this species? Should I be feeding it more or less?

I bought it at 2" and it has already molted once.

Blurboy

Arachnopeon
What size prey are you offering it? I honestly think no tarantula has an eating habit as such as they are all different. I would also say yes - feed it maybe twice a week as I've read where some people believe "power feeding" brings on maturity quicker which is ok for breeding I guess but not for keeping long term.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of the six tarantulas I keep, my N. chromatus is by far the heaviest hitter. Definitely gives my L. parahybana a run for its money in the appetite department too

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
My Nhandu chromatus just molted today for the second time since I got it in October. I usually feed it once to twice a week, and I am sure it would take more if I offered it. He always hits with seemingly unnecessary force, but what do I know? I'm not a tarantula.

--Dan

fomoiri

Arachnopeon
wow, weird! my n. chromatus is the least interesting to watch feed. of the three T's i have, B. Albopilosum has the best attack. They are only a few months old though.

Mez

Arachnoknight
How do you embed videos like that?! Spent ages trying.
It's probably about 3.5 inch or so, will have to rehome it soon!

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you embed videos like that?! Spent ages trying.
It's probably about 3.5 inch or so, will have to rehome it soon!
On the same line above the text box that has bold, italics and underline options is a youtube button all the way at the end. Click on that and in between the brackets paste the code that comes after the "=" sign.

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice! Mine has the same fierce feeding response. I love it. How big is yours? Mine sealed itself up for a molt hopefully sometime very soon and is about 4 inches DLS.
Hah.. I like how you drop the roach right on it. Poor thing...

Mez

Arachnoknight
Firstly, it was a cricket, secondly it only touches the back leg, and i really dont think the T cares.