nhandu chromatus...TIIINY!!!!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so...i just picked up a nhandu chromatus yesterday...it is the smallest sling ive ever had. it JUST had its first molt 2 days ago. i dropped an abdomen from a medium sized cricket in there for it to much on...any other ideas, tips from anyone who has raised them from this size????? i know i can feed it large cric. legs too..anything else i might need to know?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you can try flightless fruitflies - my breeder uses them for tiny slings. i don't, 'cause sometimes there will be a few who can fly nonetheless and i can't abide the thought of them in my appartment. but apparently, they make good feeders.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can also injure the smaller cricks. Mine don't have a problem with those.

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What you are already doing is perfect. I did the same for mine - which astounded me with how fast it grew.

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so...i just picked up a nhandu chromatus yesterday...it is the smallest sling ive ever had. it JUST had its first molt 2 days ago. i dropped an abdomen from a medium sized cricket in there for it to much on...any other ideas, tips from anyone who has raised them from this size????? i know i can feed it large cric. legs too..anything else i might need to know?
if you got it from Aquatic Critters in Nashville, it is one of my babies :)

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little N.chromatus was teeny tiny too. One thing I noticed was it liked to stay on the side of the enclosure which I had misted. This tells me it likes it a little humid. Just my experience. Also mine did not like live prey. It took meal worm parts pretty well.

Cliff :)

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I raised my itty-bitty on flightless fruitflies until it was big enough to take down a small cricket. She grew like a weed! You'll have a big kid in no time.

PINK1081

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keep the soil moist. I had a sac last spring and so far the ones I lost were due only to soil drying out. Pin head crickets and parts of meal worms is what I have fed.

Jim

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
I have a N. chromatus that seems so tiny, I got it in its premolt stage, it just molted last Jan 28 and it hasn't eaten since it molted, I put live pinhead crix from time to time, what can I do to to pursuade him to eat the pinheads I'm I li'l bit worried bot that li'l guy. . .

matija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can try flightless fruitflies - my breeder uses them for tiny slings. i don't, 'cause sometimes there will be a few who can fly nonetheless and i can't abide the thought of them in my appartment. but apparently, they make good feeders.
are those flightless fruitflies (Drosophila hydei ?) good enough food for slings if they are fed just with them until they grow a little?

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a N. chromatus that seems so tiny, I got it in its premolt stage, it just molted last Jan 28 and it hasn't eaten since it molted, I put live pinhead crix from time to time, what can I do to to pursuade him to eat the pinheads I'm I li'l bit worried bot that li'l guy. . .
Pre kill the crix, also try small pieces of mealworm. My tiny one would not eat live prey for quite a while.

Cliff:)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Either crush the head of a cricket or pull off some cricket legs and offer them. You can do flightless fruit flies as well, but I have heard they tend to end up everywhere.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They worked for mine. She graduated up to small crickets incredibly quickly anyway.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just a thought guys... do you think bloodworms would make a good feeder? its small though its a bit squirmy. :confused: